Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD18 Crashing
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote With the greatest of respect Optodata, you say "Most people don't have crippling issues with PD18". How do you know that? Have you spoken to them all? Do they write to you personally? Do you think that the problems with PD18 are limited to a half dozen people on this forum thread? I guarantee this is just the tip of a very deep iceberg.

I say that because while there have been several posts from people that are experiencing significant problems, we're now almost 2 weeks past the release date, and there aren't a torrent of them. This forum would be lit up like a christmas tree with ranting and outrage if the problem were truly widespread.

I honestly don't know how many PD18 users are out there. Is it a few hundred? Is it thousands? Tens, or hundreds of thousands? Even without knowing, I'm fairly certain that people who aren't facing unusable software also aren't going to be flocking to the forum to say that "everything is great."

In other words, I expect to see more negative posts than positive ones, and yet there have been more run-of-the-mill questions posted regarding PD18 than the unfortunate ones by people who can't even get PD18 to run.

The main point in my reply was to have that person contact tech support, since they were sending PD17 links to people that had not been able to use PD18, and posting for CL to "fix the issues" wasn't going to do them any good.

My statement that this issue isn't impacting everyone was a very minor point, and I now see that I could have left that part out entirely. The focus here should be on getting people up and running, and I appreciate how much you want to get PD up and running again on your systems.

I would hope that someone, somewhere at CL is aware of all of this and is planning a coordinated response to offer a rollback or PD17 installer straight away. That's what I'd do if I were in their shoes, and I hope you get a resolution soon!
Brian108 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 30, 2018 04:41 Messages: 50 Offline
[Post New]

I say that because while there have been several posts from people that are experiencing significant problems, we're now almost 2 weeks past the release date, and there aren't a torrent of them. This forum would be lit up like a christmas tree with ranting and outrage if the problem were truly widespread.

I honestly don't know how many PD18 users are out there. Is it a few hundred? Is it thousands? Tens, or hundreds of thousands? Even without knowing, I'm fairly certain that people who aren't facing unusable software also aren't going to be flocking to the forum to say that "everything is great."

In other words, I expect to see more negative posts than positive ones, and yet there have been more run-of-the-mill questions posted regarding PD18 than the unfortunate ones by people who can't even get PD18 to run.

The main point in my reply was to have that person contact tech support, since they were sending PD17 links to people that had not been able to use PD18, and posting for CL to "fix the issues" wasn't going to do them any good.

My statement that this issue isn't impacting everyone was a very minor point, and I now see that I could have left that part out entirely. The focus here should be on getting people up and running, and I appreciate how much you want to get PD up and running again on your systems.

I would hope that someone, somewhere at CL is aware of all of this and is planning a coordinated response to offer a rollback or PD17 installer straight away. That's what I'd do if I were in their shoes, and I hope you get a resolution soon!

Thank you for your reply. It has only been more or less 2 weeks since this upgrade. Given time you may find a lot more people complaining. Lighting things up like a Christmas tree as you suggest. There are various reasons why there aren't more at this moment in time. Most people hardly use the software and all its capabilities, a simple slide show or straightforward video with simple transitions. They may not have used the upgrade at all so far.

They don't necessarily push the software to its limits like I do. So no complaints when it takes those simple projects and finishes them without difficulty. But in my case and others, we do push the software. 4k video (sometimes). Complex transitions with Adorage etc. pips, particles, layers of different videos on screen at the same time, fx like cartoon illustrations, etc. all happening throughout the video. My little laptop and PD17 handled that without crashing. Rendering might take a while but the results were excellent. Also many users won't know how to complain or where to or could even be bothered or just don't have the time.

Despite being only 2 weeks since the upgrade, the PD Crashing thread has nineteen replies and nearly 900 views. Way way more than most. Not that I care about all of that, but it is a fact, though really I just want the problem fixed. Everyone wants work done and finished polished and complete yesterday. It is the way of our modern world. I will be contacting Tech Support (again) and asking for a downgrade to PD17 until this PD18 is fixed, as it seems that can be allowed.

Thanks again for the reply

Brian
Marek1973 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 23, 2019 11:26 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
My problem after upgrading to PowerDirector 18 (365) is that the program will not run at all. PD 17 worked without problems.
I wrote on technical support on September 25th and the problem is still unresolved
I am currently working on the old PD 16 Ultra and everything is working fast and error free.
In November my PD(365) subscription ends and if nothing is resolved I will not extend it.
Raff11 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 20, 2012 00:26 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I´m frustrated too frown.
I apologize for not asking a question, but I need to vent a little.
My previous version was 15. I had not upgraded because I didn't really need 4K or 360º capabilities. I finally upgraded to PD365 a couple of weeks ago and used it for a new project. PD crashes frequently, even with my 12GB system memory, but I was able to chug my way to finish the project. However, when I tried to burn a DVD, the authoring phase would crash with an error at 98% completion. I tried multiple times with different menu templates, but I couldn´t past that point until I removed the menu. Clearly the disc menus produce corrupt files that make the Authoring phase crash. Unfortunately going back to a previous version might not work either because the projects of one version are not compatible with later versions. I would have to start the project from scratch.

I know Cyberlink does not monitor these forums and I already submitted my ticket about the menu designer yesterday, but since I have not received answer, I am just venting here. I apologize again.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 02. 2019 17:31

GordonCato [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 09, 2017 23:37 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]

It is worth noting that many people, myself included, often browse the forum for people that are having the same issue, and often find the answer they need without posting. Likely, many people have read, and taken your advice to open a ticket without feeling the need to post their own issue.
PaulS1776 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 02, 2019 19:43 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]

It is worth noting that many people, myself included, often browse the forum for people that are having the same issue, and often find the answer they need without posting. Likely, many people have read, and taken your advice to open a ticket without feeling the need to post their own issue.

I have a surface book 2 that PD17 was working great on, I made the mistake of upgrading to PD18 (365 version) and the program is unusable. Occassional crash, but very slow playback, unusable. I opened a ticket, described my problem and asked for a rollback to 17, which worked great on my system. I was told that rolling back was not possible so I sent the troubleshooting files. I was told to update some drivers, which unfortunately because Microsoft is having issues with windows and THEIR surface book 2, I am blocked from doing. At this point I decided to try Adobe Premier Pro (they have 7 day trial), it is more expensive, but works well. So as of now I've turned off my PD 365 auto renewal and am going with Premier pro. It's unfortunate that software gets released with bugs. I get that my pc may be an issue too, that's another story, but at least give a consistent means to roll back, that simple gesture, that was afforded someone else in this thread, would have kept this customer in the fold.
GordonCato [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 09, 2017 23:37 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]

I have a surface book 2 that PD17 was working great on, I made the mistake of upgrading to PD18 (365 version) and the program is unusable. Occassional crash, but very slow playback, unusable. I opened a ticket, described my problem and asked for a rollback to 17, which worked great on my system. I was told that rolling back was not possible so I sent the troubleshooting files. I was told to update some drivers, which unfortunately because Microsoft is having issues with windows and THEIR surface book 2, I am blocked from doing. At this point I decided to try Adobe Premier Pro (they have 7 day trial), it is more expensive, but works well. So as of now I've turned off my PD 365 auto renewal and am going with Premier pro. It's unfortunate that software gets released with bugs. I get that my pc may be an issue too, that's another story, but at least give a consistent means to roll back, that simple gesture, that was afforded someone else in this thread, would have kept this customer in the fold.

I don't think it's your PC. At least it shouldn't be. I have tried it on both my desktop and my laptop. Both are high end gaming PCs with all the updates. Was virtually unusable on both. Another option you might try is Hitfilm Express. It's actually better than Premier (my opinion) and it's free. Even if you upgrade to their Pro version, it's a lot less than Adobe's subscription.
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Maybe, just maybe, here's an idea about PD18.

When I first downloaded PD 18, I couldn't believe how well it worked!innocent
YES, it really worked so smoothly on my ancient PC with NO hang ups at all!
The timeline ran in full HD mode so smoooooothly.
Then Micro Soft told my PC that it needed to downlaod an update yesterday and now I'm having trouble getting PD18 to start!
So far it hasn't crashed but it's kinda slow-ish than before.
I'm no wiz with PCs ( I think they're a pain in the preverbal ) BUT what with my latest experience with Win 10 Updates, could it be that instead of blaming Cyberlink, could it be your software, software settings that're causing problems ?

just a thought, well thinking out loud !undecided

Cheers

Well then, seconds after I posted this the first time, my PC crashed presenting me with a light blue error message stating
Stop Code KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRECTION ! I did have PD18 running in the background, this has never happened to me before while working with any Cyberlink products.

Cheers again!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 10. 2019 09:37

I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
Kyle 40
[Post New]
Quote Maybe, just maybe, here's an idea about PD18.

When I first downloaded PD 18, I couldn't believe how well it worked!innocent
YES, it really worked so smoothly on my ancient PC with NO hang ups at all!
The timeline ran in full HD mode so smoooooothly.
Then Micro Soft told my PC that it needed to downlaod an update yesterday and now I'm having trouble getting PD18 to start!
So far it hasn't crashed but it's kinda slow-ish than before.
I'm no wiz with PCs ( I think they're a pain in the preverbal ) BUT what with my latest experience with Win 10 Updates, could it be that instead of blaming Cyberlink, could it be your software, software settings that're causing problems ?

just a thought, well thinking out loud !undecided

Cheers

Well then, seconds after I posted this the first time, my PC crashed presenting me with a light blue error message stating
Stop Code KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRECTION ! I did have PD18 running in the background, this has never happened to me before while working with any Cyberlink products.

Cheers again!

Well thankfully, no more Win 10 Updates BUT PD18 is working againsurprised Even my Nvidia GPU works at higher levels than with PD17 at nearly 90% !
Lost for words, except maybe, that I'm happy with how PD18 is working on my ancient PC. I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
Marek1973 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 23, 2019 11:26 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Since September 25, I have been addressing the problem that PowerDirector 18 (365) will not start at all. Today solved Thank you technical support
Koen41 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Feb 15, 2016 09:05 Messages: 63 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Since September 25, I have been addressing the problem that PowerDirector 18 (365) will not start at all. Today solved Thank you technical support

can you tell me what solution Support found?
DeLaguna [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 29, 2013 00:56 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I am having issues as well!

Crashing, Won't, Render videos

issues scrubbing video.

Already wiped install tried reinstalling, had issues had to install trial then upgrade back to my subscription. Will let you know if I have any sucess.

Some of My DxDiag
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 10/16/2019, 07:38:16
Machine name: RYZENBEAST-1902

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Finger Works UnInc.
System Model: System RyzenBeast
BIOS: BIOS Date: 04/11/19 18:19:27 Ver: 05.0000D (type: BIOS)

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.7GHz

Memory: 32768MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 32694MB RAM
Page File: 25241MB used, 15645MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: Unknown
DxDiag Version: 10.00.18362.0387 64bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 980 Ti
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device (POST)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_17C8&SUBSYS_855B1043&REV_A1
Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
Device Problem Code: No Problem
Driver Problem Code: Unknown
Display Memory: 22445 MB
Dedicated Memory: 6097 MB
Shared Memory: 16347 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (144Hz)
HDR Support: Not Supported
Display Topology: Extend
Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709
Color Primaries: Red(0.639648,0.33007, Green(0.299805,0.599609), Blue(0.150391,0.059570), White Point(0.312500,0.329102)
Display Luminance: Min Luminance = 0.500000, Max Luminance = 270.000000, MaxFullFrameLuminance = 270.000000
Monitor Name: G2460
Monitor Model: G2460
Monitor Id: AOC2460
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: Displayport External
Monitor Capabilities: HDR Not Supported
Display Pixel Format: DISPLAYCONFIG_PIXELFORMAT_32BPP
Advanced Color: Not Supported

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 980 Ti
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device (POST)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_17C8&SUBSYS_855B1043&REV_A1
Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
Device Problem Code: No Problem
Driver Problem Code: Unknown
Display Memory: 22445 MB
Dedicated Memory: 6097 MB
Shared Memory: 16347 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
HDR Support: Not Supported
Display Topology: Extend
Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709
Color Primaries: Red(0.635742,0.33300, Green(0.302734,0.625977), Blue(0.153320,0.070313), White Point(0.313477,0.329102)
Display Luminance: Min Luminance = 0.500000, Max Luminance = 270.000000, MaxFullFrameLuminance = 270.000000
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: ASUS VS238
Monitor Id: ACI23FA
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: DVI
Monitor Capabilities: HDR Not Supported
Display Pixel Format: DISPLAYCONFIG_PIXELFORMAT_32BPP
Advanced Color: Not Supported
Driver Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_827405c7c65146ab\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_827405c7c65146ab\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_827405c7c65146ab\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_827405c7c65146ab\nvldumdx.dll
Driver File Version: 26.21.0014.3648 (English)
Driver Version: 26.21.14.3648
DDI Version: 12
Feature Levels: 12_1,12_0,11_1,11_0,10_1,10_0,9_3,9_2,9_1
Driver Model: WDDM 2.6
Graphics Preemption: DMA
Compute Preemption: DMA
Miracast: Not Supported
Detachable GPU: No
Hybrid Graphics GPU: Not Supported
Power P-states: Not Supported
Virtualization: Paravirtualization
Block List: No Blocks
Catalog Attributes: Universal:False Declarative:False
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 9/25/2019 20:00:00, 961896 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Mike Hall [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 29, 2018 19:37 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I updated to PD18 and have been having major problems with crashing.

1. Just doing simple things - anything - will result in the screen freezing, then turning white, then I need to choose to close the program. A message box says that its reporting the problem to Microsoft, then PD closes. This can happen every 5 minutes on average, but often just after a few mouse clicks.

2. Sometimes PD will freeze when loading a project.

3. Sometimes PD will freeze when saving a project, usually at the 60% point.

4. This afternoon, producing a 20 second, 67mb video took 45 minutes.

PD17 was a bit buggy as well, but nowhere near as bad as PD18.

If Cyberlink don't sort this out soon, I will definitely cancel my subscription.

Thanks,

Mike

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 23. 2019 14:35

Koen41 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Feb 15, 2016 09:05 Messages: 63 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I updated to PD18 and have been having major problems with crashing.

1. Just doing simple things - anything - will result in the screen freezing, then turning white, then I need to choose to close the program. A message box says that its reporting the problem to Microsoft, then PD closes. This can happen every 5 minutes on average, but often just after a few mouse clicks.

2. Sometimes PD will freeze when loading a project.

3. Sometimes PD will freeze when saving a project, usually at the 60% point.

4. This afternoon, producing a 20 second, 67mb video took 45 minutes.

PD17 was a bit buggy as well, but nowhere near as bad as PD18.

If Cyberlink don't sort this out soon, I will definitely cancel my subscription.

Thanks,

Mike

Today Support reported me that that they were able to reproduce my freeze and crash problem.
Regards, Koen
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Today Support reported me that that they were able to reproduce my freeze and crash problem.
Regards, Koen

That's good news for people who've been unable to use PD18, since having a repeatable/reproducible failure is key to understanding what's going on and then fixing it. I hope this means that a patch or hotfix will be coming out soon!
Kyle 40
[Post New]

That's good news for people who've been unable to use PD18, since having a repeatable/reproducible failure is key to understanding what's going on and then fixing it. I hope this means that a patch or hotfix will be coming out soon!

Well it's good news for Koen41, I only hope that the "Fix" doesn't screw my set up as it's working better than it has for a few years!
Masood Azhar [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 24, 2019 11:20 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for telling us that you are getting it. May be a light at the end of the tunnel afterall.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 24. 2019 11:40

Goquy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 12, 2019 17:19 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I've also had nothing but problems with PD18 [read 365 as I bought a subscription that has now been made to NOT renew]. At first, I thought maybe it was Windows 10 since the only reason I got Windows 10 was due to CL not including Dolby Digital but relying on the Windows 10 Dolby. I guess they figured nobody was still using an older Windows version. I had been using PD16 on Windows 7 for a long time with zero problems. Now:

1. PD freezes sometimes at startup.

2. PD freezes at save always at 60%.

3. PD crashes when dragging the cursor on the timeline (I do a lot of cut and paste) - gave CL detailed info in the troubleshooting pop-up over 10 times including my email address and checking the box for a reply - never received one.

4. PD crashes sometimes when changing the aspect ratio. When it doesn't crash, it takes over a minute to perform the action.

5. PD crashes when returning from full screen display of timeline back to normal edit layout.

Finally submitted a support ticket. I've been using PD since forever and really don't like Roxio or Corel as they don't have the flexibility or controls that Cyberlink has, but I have to work and this is just too time consuming at this point.
Submitted a second support ticket on item 5. I guess we need to start flooding in support tickets so they take notice that something is fubar.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 24. 2019 20:56

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I've also had nothing but problems with PD18 [read 365 as I bought a subscription that has now been made to NOT renew]. At first, I thought maybe it was Windows 10 since the only reason I got Windows 10 was due to CL not including Dolby Digital but relying on the Windows 10 Dolby. I guess they figured nobody was still using an older Windows version. I had been using PD16 on Windows 7 for a long time with zero problems. Now:

1. PD freezes sometimes at startup.

2. PD freezes at save always at 60%.

3. PD crashes when dragging the cursor on the timeline (I do a lot of cut and paste) - gave CL detailed info in the troubleshooting pop-up over 10 times including my email address and checking the box for a reply - never received one.

4. PD crashes sometimes when changing the aspect ratio. When it doesn't crash, it takes over a minute to perform the action.

5. PD crashes when returning from full screen display of timeline back to normal edit layout.

Finally submitted a support ticket. I've been using PD since forever and really don't like Roxio or Corel as they don't have the flexibility or controls that Cyberlink has, but I have to work and this is just too time consuming at this point.
Submitted a second support ticket on item 5. I guess we need to start flooding in support tickets so they take notice that something is fubar.

Goquy,

Please check the PM we sent you.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 24. 2019 22:27

Goquy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 12, 2019 17:19 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]

Goquy,

Please check the PM we sent you.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

I appologize but this will have to wait. I have customers that are waiting for finished products NOW and I am behind schedule by at least a week. I have switched back to Windows 7 and PD16 although PD18 is still on that backup. When I get some time in a few weeks I will restore the Windows 10 and check it out, but for now I have to get work done.
Kyle 40
[Post New]

I appologize but this will have to wait. I have customers that are waiting for finished products NOW and I am behind schedule by at least a week. I have switched back to Windows 7 and PD16 although PD18 is still on that backup. When I get some time in a few weeks I will restore the Windows 10 and check it out, but for now I have to get work done.

Hi Goquy, sorry to learn that you've been having so many problems that you've had to switch back to Win 7 and PD16. I've been on Win 10 for some time now, even though it wasn't a good move for me at the time, it's all settled ( oops shouldn't have said that ! ) and PD works well (ish) I do have an "olde" PC that sometimes struggles but PD18 ~ 365 still works and works better than PD 15 or PD16 ever did. I'm just wondering if you'll get the chance to try PD18 on your Win 7 setup to se if it would work?

Hope you can catch up with your orders.

Cheers

Dave F.