Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD18 Crashing
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]

I appologize but this will have to wait. I have customers that are waiting for finished products NOW and I am behind schedule by at least a week. I have switched back to Windows 7 and PD16 although PD18 is still on that backup. When I get some time in a few weeks I will restore the Windows 10 and check it out, but for now I have to get work done.

Hi Goquy, sorry to learn that you've been having so many problems that you've had to switch back to Win 7 and PD16. I've been on Win 10 for some time now, even though it wasn't a good move for me at the time, it's all settled ( oops shouldn't have said that ! ) and PD works well (ish) I do have an "olde" PC that sometimes struggles but PD18 ~ 365 still works and works better than PD 15 or PD16 ever did. I'm just wondering if you'll get the chance to try PD18 on your Win 7 setup to se if it would work?

Hope you can catch up with your orders.

Cheers

Dave F.
abruzzopat [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 03, 2020 13:30 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I updated to PD18 and have been having major problems with crashing.

3. Sometimes PD will freeze when saving a project, usually at the 60% point.

Mike

This is exactly what is happening to me. Upgraded to PD18, and it crashes more than half the time at the 60% mark.
[Thumb - PD error 1.PNG]
 Filename
PD error 1.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
PD18 crashes here
 Filesize
56 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
That's actually not a crash, which is when the program shuts down unexpectedly, sometimes showing a message window to report the issue to Cyberlink.

What you're seeing is called "hanging" and generally it's caused by a problem loading your project. The easiest thing to try is to double click on a different PDS file and let that project load. You can then go to File > Open Recent Projects and see if you can get the project giving you trouble loaded that way.

You may also want to turn off shadow files from the Preferences > General screen to see if that helps. Once the project is loaded, you can re-enable them then wait until all the little yellow icons on the clips in the media library turn to green before closing PD.
abruzzopat [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote That's actually not a crash, which is when the program shuts down unexpectedly, sometimes showing a message window to report the issue to Cyberlink.

What you're seeing is called "hanging" and generally it's caused by a problem loading your project. The easiest thing to try is to double click on a different PDS file and let that project load. You can then go to File > Open Recent Projects and see if you can get the project giving you trouble loaded that way.

You may also want to turn off shadow files from the Preferences > General screen to see if that helps. Once the project is loaded, you can re-enable them then wait until all the little yellow icons on the clips in the media library turn to green before closing PD.

Thanks optodata.

So I am able to open projects fine, it hangs when I go to save the project. It's gotten to the point now where I cannot make any edits to my current project. I can open the PDS, buteven the most trivial edit, when I go to save it hangs.

I did try disabling shadow files, but no improvement.

This is a fresh installation of PD18... I just updated from PD14.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the details.

There's almost certainly something wrong with your project and I wonder if something like this will work:

Since you can now open the project, click anywhere on the timeline and type Ctrl+A to select all the content then got to File > New Project (do not save the old project if prompted!) and paste the copied content on the new timeline. Save the new project with a different name and close PD.

Now try and open the new project again and see if it will let you make normal edits and saves without hanging.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 03. 2020 15:52

abruzzopat [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the details.

There's almost certainly something wrong with your project and I wonder if something like this will work:

Since you can now open the project, click anywhere on the timeline and type Ctrl+A to select all the content then got to File > New Project (do not save the old project if prompted!) and paste the copied content on the new timeline. Save the new project with a different name and close PD.

Now try and open the new project again and see if it will let you make normal edits and saves without hanging.

I'm at wits end with this. I was thinking of starting a new thread but I'll continue here I guess. I never had a problem opening the project, but eventually could not save changes no matter how trivial. I tried what you suggested above, and the problem persisted in the new project, so I finally just assumed something got corrupt with my project so I threw it away (waste of about 4 hours).

I started a new project and began to recreate everything, saving every step of the way. I finally got to the point where I would like to produce a first cut, but I am unable to produce at all... the program just hangs either before production starts or a few seconds in. I have to kill PD with task manager. I have tried many different output formats with no luck. I uninstalled PD18 and then reinstalled, no change.

I have a very capable machine:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
AMD Ryzen 5 - 6 core 3.6Ghz
16G RAM
NVIDIA Geforce GTX-970 (latest drivers)

I tried going back to PD14, but as expected the PD18 project won't open. I'd hate to start all over in PD14... I'm assuming my problems are not typical?

Also, I am attaching my DxDiag file

Thanks everyone.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
98 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
150 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 06. 2020 16:13

optodata
[Post New]
While you may have a capable machine, I'm afraid there's something seriously wrong with it if PD18 still hangs like this.

Far and away the best thing to do is to follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting sticky thread and attach the DxDiag file so we can see the all the technical details.

Just as importantly, you should run the two system check commands as described here to see if your Windows installation has been damaged. I can't tell you how many times people have serious problems with PD and it turns out that the cause was that Windows was corrupted.

The good news is that running one or both of those commands solves most of these issues straight away, and I'm hoping that will be the case for you as well.
abruzzopat [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote While you may have a capable machine, I'm afraid there's something seriously wrong with it if PD18 still hangs like this.

Far and away the best thing to do is to follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting sticky thread and attach the DxDiag file so we can see the all the technical details.

Just as importantly, you should run the two system check commands as described here to see if your Windows installation has been damaged. I can't tell you how many times people have serious problems with PD and it turns out that the cause was that Windows was corrupted.

The good news is that running one or both of those commands solves most of these issues straight away, and I'm hoping that will be the case for you as well.

Thanks again for the quick response optodata... you rock!

I actually did attach the DxDiag file in an edit of my post, but you were so quick you replied to the post without the file! Anyway, it's attached here again.

Also, just now I ran the SFC and DISM commands. Attached are the results... there did seem to be some problem detected in the SFC check. Unfortunately, after doing this and re-booting, I still cannot produce.

Here is what I do:

1. Open the project

2. click produce

3. choose H264 at 1080/30

4. click start

5. While watching in Task Manager PD18 cranks away for about 10 seconds or so, then it just drops to zero utilization

Thanks again for your help.

-pat
 Filename
read me.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
898 bytes
 Downloaded:
171 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
98 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
162 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 06. 2020 17:00

optodata
[Post New]
Thanks for all the details, and I'm sorry that SFC and DISM didn't make much of a difference. If you look at the end of the DxDiag results you'll see the last 10 crashes your system experienced, all of them PD365. That's not surprising, but it does confirm that the app gets hung-up (becomes non-responsive) rather than crashing.

If you haven't contacted tech support yet, I suggest you do that now. be sure to include both the DxDiag results and a link to your first post in this thread (click on the orange "paper" icon there then copy the URL from your brower's address bar).

In the meantime, it would be helpful to see the actual project you're working on. If you're comfortable sharing the contents, go to File > Pack Project Materials and upload everything to a cloud folder on Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox, etc. and paste a shareable link to it here.

I don't imagine anyone else trying to produce it would see a problem, but it might help us figure out if anything in there might cause an issue.

Two other things to try: Use Profile Analyzer on PD's Produce page and choose the best matched profile and see if anything different happens when trying to produce. Also, pay attention to the timeline counter when PD starts producing and see where it gets to before things hang up.

Next, take a look at that area of the timeline and take a snapshot so we have a little bit more info to work with. Please do that even if you're going to share the packed project as that might take a long time to upload.
abruzzopat [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for all the details, and I'm sorry that SFC and DISM didn't make much of a difference. If you look at the end of the DxDiag results you'll see the last 10 crashes your system experienced, all of them PD365. That's not surprising, but it does confirm that the app gets hung-up (becomes non-responsive) rather than crashing.

If you haven't contacted tech support yet, I suggest you do that now. be sure to include both the DxDiag results and a link to your first post in this thread (click on the orange "paper" icon there then copy the URL from your brower's address bar).

In the meantime, it would be helpful to see the actual project you're working on. If you're comfortable sharing the contents, go to File > Pack Project Materials and upload everything to a cloud folder on Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox, etc. and paste a shareable link to it here.

I don't imagine anyone else trying to produce it would see a problem, but it might help us figure out if anything in there might cause an issue.

Two other things to try: Use Profile Analyzer on PD's Produce page and choose the best matched profile and see if anything different happens when trying to produce. Also, pay attention to the timeline counter when PD starts producing and see where it gets to before things hang up.

Next, take a look at that area of the timeline and take a snapshot so we have a little bit more info to work with. Please do that even if you're going to share the packed project as that might take a long time to upload.

Again, thank you so much for sticking with me on this. I'm in NC where it's getting close to dinner time so I need to step away. Tomorrow I will do as you suggest and let you know how it goes. I'm hopeful we can figure this out.
abruzzopat [Avatar]
[Post New]

Again, thank you so much for sticking with me on this. I'm in NC where it's getting close to dinner time so I need to step away. Tomorrow I will do as you suggest and let you know how it goes. I'm hopeful we can figure this out.

Actually, one other question. My video card is a fairly high-end gaming card from a couple years ago. I got it from my son who upgraded.

I don't game, and maybe this card is overkill/old?

Does anyone have a suggestion for a video card that is known to be stable with PD?
optodata
[Post New]
Ha, there's no such thing as overkill when it comes to video editing (or gaming, for that matter )

Your card and driver are fine, although there's a slightly newer driver out (dated May 27 while yours is from Apr 2). Your card is actually too old to use the "Studio Driver" versions which CL has recommended, but running the standard Game Ready driver is exactly what you're supposed to be doing.

You can also uncheck the Fast video render technology box when you produce so your system will only use your CPU instead of the GTX 970. That's an easy way to conrirm or rule out the GPU hardware.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Ha, there's no such thing as overkill when it comes to video editing (or gaming, for that matter )

Your card and driver are fine, although there's a slightly newer driver out (dated May 27 while yours is from Apr 2). Your card is actually too old to use the "Studio Driver" versions which CL has recommended, but running the standard Game Ready driver is exactly what you're supposed to be doing.

You can also uncheck the Fast video render technology box when you produce so your system will only use your CPU instead of the GTX 970. That's an easy way to conrirm or rule out the GPU hardware.

I'd be curious to see this CL recommended "Studio Driver". Can you share a link or post a CS ticket response with such comments? All I'm aware of is this from PDM, if you call them CL, is this try and see thread that might work, https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/80290.page#post_box_330215 not really much of a recommendation.

Jeff
optodata
[Post New]
That's what I was referring to, and I've been abiding by it. I haven't done any testing to see what the differences are, nor have I seen anything other than the nVidia statements and online articles about those drivers being made specifically for "creative applications."

I don't see any harm in passing that on to people who have the appropriate hardware, and in this case it seemed like it might have been a good thing to try if abruzzopat had a compatible nVidia card.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote That's what I was referring to, and I've been abiding by it. I haven't done any testing to see what the differences are, nor have I seen anything other than the nVidia statements and online articles about those drivers being made specifically for "creative applications."

I don't see any harm in passing that on to people who have the appropriate hardware, and in this case it seemed like it might have been a good thing to try if abruzzopat had a compatible nVidia card.

Thanks, I just wanted to see this CL recommendation you stated, if it existed, to provide some clarity.

To me a little circular for claiming no one from CL monitors threads and PDM states "as Mods do NOT have a direct input, pathway or channel to the main CL Customer Service or Technical Support functions" https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/81461.page#post_box_335636 and then to claim the use of "Studio Drivers" is CL recommended appears a stretch.

Since I've seen nothing from Nvidia that the quality control that goes into studio drivers for certain applications even includes PowerDirector, they definitively state some other relevant applications (Adobe Premiere Pro, DaVinci Resolve...), but apps utilize the GPU rather differently, so I was curious for some true CL PowerDirector specific applicability to provide clarity of a possible benefit. It appears nothing really exists, but sure, one is free to simply try anything.

Jeff
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Thanks, I just wanted to see this CL recommendation you stated, if it existed, to provide some clarity.

To me a little circular for claiming no one from CL monitors threads and PDM states "as Mods do NOT have a direct input, pathway or channel to the main CL Customer Service or Technical Support functions" https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/81461.page#post_box_335636 and then to claim the use of "Studio Drivers" is CL recommended appears a stretch.

I think you're overthinking/overanalyzing this. It's clear to me that the PDM statement is making a general announcement that they're not in direct contact with tech support. In no way would I ever take that to mean that they can't/won't ever have contact.

That's also why I've posted many times that tech support/CL doesn't monitor the forum while suggesting that the poster contact them directly. I'm not saying that nobody from CL ever sees things posted on the forum, only that in general they don't, and statements like "Cyberlink please fix this ASAP!!!!" are unlikely to have the desired effect.

Quote Since I've seen nothing from Nvidia that the quality control that goes into studio drivers for certain applications even includes PowerDirector, they definitively state some other relevant applications (Adobe Premiere Pro, DaVinci Resolve...), but apps utilize the GPU rather differently, so I was curious for some true CL PowerDirector specific applicability to provide clarity of a possible benefit. It appears nothing really exists, but sure, one is free to simply try anything.

Jeff

I've also noticed that there is no mention of PD or CL in those statements. It would be certainly helpful if CL would provide clear guidance on whether the product would benefit from the Studio Driver (or not). In the absence of that, we're left with the PDM statement.