Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
4K drone footage - pixelation / artifacts on black
dk74 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 07, 2019 15:29 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]

Yeah, my 5-year-old i7-4770k system completely died last Dec in the middle of a long project, and I decided to get everything I could possibly afford to last me another 5 years (then I spent >$500 moreembarassed)

Right. I'm still running on 3770K

I have files >5GB on OneDrive, so I don't think you ran into a size limit.

I will try again. Maybe it was something on my end. I'll let you know.

Profile Analyzer on the Produce page, and see if it can come up with at least one matching producing profile. Ideally, there will also be one that works with SVRT, and that will quickly produce at the original quality if you're mostly just trimming your source clips.

Didn't know about this feature. Its pretty awesome. Seems like the "best Matched Format" showing as source 97.50% but all intelligent SVRT are RED. Not sure why.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Can't be its just me using PD17 with 4K videos. Anybody else able to reproduce the artifacts?

Lots of people are, but usually it's hard to notice pixelation. You've got a very clear example, which is why we'd like to work with your source clip.

You can try this link to my OneDrive account. Maybe your account has an issue like insufficient storage space, so this is another option.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Didn't know about this feature. Its pretty awesome. Seems like the "best Matched Format" showing as source 97.50% but all intelligent SVRT are RED. Not sure why.

What are the settings for the 97.5% profile? You can click on the pencil icon and take screen shots of the pages. I expect that the bitrate will be near 100Mbps, and you should try producing to that to see how it looks.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Tried two programs but they still damange the file quality. I would need FTP.

Optodata has a good suggestion. PD17 Intelligent Svrt should come up with a custom profile that is 100% workload reduced provided that you cut from the end of the h.264 original encoded clip. If you do any cutting from the beginning of the clip it will also indicate the same 100% workload reduced which is not correct and the file will be damaged or re encoded like the two file cutters you already tried. Remember to cut only the end of the clip for this reason. This is a PD17 unfixed bug.
dk74 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is the link again.

I think that Profile Analyzer gets the closest to original or equal.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmASekm8DZ8mgoxLFJOauO9tCUl6hw

I don't think I can't find the artifacts anymore.

Question is what SVRT does? Since I'm seeing it keeps selecting it as "fast Video Rendering"
optodata
[Post New]
Quote I don't think I can't find the artifacts anymore.

Question is what SVRT does? Since I'm seeing it keeps selecting it as "fast Video Rendering"

I also think the artifacts are much more subtle and almost eleiminated from this version. Here's a brief explanation of what Smart Video Rendering Technology does (when it works, properly)
dk74 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I also think the artifacts are much more subtle and almost eleiminated from this version. Here's a brief explanation of what Smart Video Rendering Technology does (when it works, properly)

yeah lots of limitations:
Adding a title or transition effectModifying the color of a video clipAudio profile does not match destination production profileModifying the volume of an audio clipMerging two video clips (clips within 2 seconds before or after the merged clips will be rendered)Splitting a video clip (clips within 2 seconds before or after the split will be rendered)Trimming a video clip (clips within 2 seconds before or after the trimmed clip will be rendered)If the total duration of the production is less than one minute and any portion of the video requires rendering, the entire production will be rendered for efficiency reasons.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote yeah lots of limitations:
Adding a title or transition effectModifying the color of a video clipAudio profile does not match destination production profileModifying the volume of an audio clipMerging two video clips (clips within 2 seconds before or after the merged clips will be rendered)Splitting a video clip (clips within 2 seconds before or after the split will be rendered)Trimming a video clip (clips within 2 seconds before or after the trimmed clip will be rendered)If the total duration of the production is less than one minute and any portion of the video requires rendering, the entire production will be rendered for efficiency reasons.

All true, BUT typically you won't have a title or edits that requires CPU rendering for most frames, and once you have a good profile match, it essentially copies the frames from the original clip to the produced clip without changing anythingh, so it's really fast.

I always use it for lightly edited projects.
dk74 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Lots of people are, but usually it's hard to notice pixelation. You've got a very clear example, which is why we'd like to work with your source clip.

You can try this link to my OneDrive account. Maybe your account has an issue like insufficient storage space, so this is another option.

Uploading the file to your OneDrive - creek starts at 30 seconds.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 07. 2019 21:37

dk74 [Avatar]
[Post New]

What are the settings for the 97.5% profile? You can click on the pencil icon and take screen shots of the pages. I expect that the bitrate will be near 100Mbps, and you should try producing to that to see how it looks.

Here you go:

https://ibb.co/wp8fPJ7

https://ibb.co/ctXY3zx
dk74 [Avatar]
[Post New]

SVRT is not available for the actual project - shows red (... and using profile with the project actually makes it worse than my custom - freezing :/

here is the screenshot:

https://ibb.co/8mC14vs

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 07. 2019 21:30

optodata
[Post New]
Quote SVRT is not available for the actual project - shows red (... and using profile with the project actually makes it worse than my custom - freezing :/

OK. There's a chance that one of your edits has triggered the issue that tomasc mentioned, which causes PD to disable SVRT when it would otherwise be available.

The quickest way to see if that's what's going on is to save your project, then create a new workspace and drag just your source clip to the timeline. Type Alt + S and see if you get a green line instead of red. If that works, you can try removing edits in your main project one by one and see if you can get a bigger section of green.

If it doesn't work, at least you have the 97.5% work reduction profile. I'll let you know what I see if your clip successfully uploads this time.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 07. 2019 21:41

dk74 [Avatar]
[Post New]

OK. There's a chance that one of your edits has triggered the issue that tomasc mentioned, which causes PD to disable SVRT when it would otherwise be available.

The quickest way to see if that's what's going on is to save your project, then create a new workspace and drag just your source clip to the timeline. Type Alt + S and see if you get a green line instead of red. If that works, you can try removing edits in your main project one by one and see if you can get a bigger section of green.

If it doesn't work, at least you have the 97.5% work reduction profile. I'll let you know what I see if your clip successfully uploads this time.

The issue is the text and white balance adjustment to the video. Meaning its limitations

https://ibb.co/LJddS37
dk74 [Avatar]
[Post New]
So no matter how close you get with your custom profile (fps, bitrate, res) the artifacts will stay.

SVRT is perfect but you need to meet the conditions which in real life wont' be applicable because you'll be color grading and adding texts. i.e if working with P-LOG.

Seems like if cannot use SVRT the ONLY option is to disable HW encoding and GPU Rendering.

Honestly, just makes me thing if PD is just not powerfull enough?

Should I be looking at Davinci or Adobe?

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 07. 2019 22:33

dk74 [Avatar]
[Post New]
What about produce settings in preference?

https://ibb.co/nzvXPPN
optodata
[Post New]
Quote So no matter how close you get with your custom profile (fps, bitrate, res) the artifacts will stay.

SVRT is perfect but you need to meet the conditions which in real life wont' be applicable because you'll be color grading and adding texts. i.e if working with P-LOG.

Honestly, just makes me thing if PD is just not powerfull enough?

Should I be looking at Davinci or Adobe?

No. You're lumping in all kinds of conditions and making an either/or statement. PD is very powerful, but using SVRT is actually a shortcut that bypassess all of that power because it's so much faster than rendering on even the most powerful hardware.

Feel free to look at any other editor, though. Maybe you'll find something that works better with your workflow, and maybe you'll find that PD is the best fit.

If you chose SVRT with your project as-is (with the two sections that have the red line above them), PD will use CPU-only rendering when producing those sections and will quickly blast through the green section.

SInce the SVRT output profile is by defintiion the best possible match for your source clip, you will have the least possible amount of artifacts in the sections where SVRT wasn't used. So, basically you're rendering using the 97.5% profile (where you didn't see the artifacts) and getting the original footage with no artifacts everywhere else. To me, that's a clear win-win situation.

I've got your 4GB clip now and have revoked the upload permissions. Anyone who wants to download a copy can do so from this link. If you want, you can attach your main project to your reply and I can put that in the same folder as the source clip so other people can test out your exact edits.

I'm happy to try producing it here to see what the output looks like using SVRT, Intel QuickSync, nVidia HW encoding or just my i9- CPU.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote What about produce settings in preference?

https://ibb.co/nzvXPPN
You can try turning off the first two, one at a time, to see if that noticeably affects the visual quality. In my experience, the third one may speed up SVRT producing but it often makes the clip incompatible with some media players. The 4th one is only for producing to Windows Media Video format.
dk74 [Avatar]
[Post New]

No. You're lumping in all kinds of conditions and making an either/or statement. PD is very powerful, but using SVRT is actually a shortcut that bypassess all of that power because it's so much faster than rendering on even the most powerful hardware.

Feel free to look at any other editor, though. Maybe you'll find something that works better with your workflow, and maybe you'll find that PD is the best fit.

I love PD workflow but seems like I'm getting stuck on these artifacts.

I've got your 4GB clip now and have revoked the upload permissions. Anyone who wants to download a copy can do so from this link. If you want, you can attach your main project to your reply and I can put that in the same folder as the source clip so other people can test out your exact edits.

I'm happy to try producing it here to see what the output looks like using SVRT, Intel QuickSync, nVidia HW encoding or just my i9- CPU.

You mean you would want the pds file?
optodata
[Post New]
Quote I love PD workflow but seems like I'm getting stuck on these artifacts.
You mean you would want the pds file?

Yeah. I'll set it up as a packed project so it will work with your clip in my OD folder.
dk74 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Yeah. I'll set it up as a packed project so it will work with your clip in my OD folder.

Uploaded to the OneDrive.

Bottom line it is safe to say that GPU rendering lowers the quality. Something that I was able to prove at the beginning.

I don't think we will be able to produce any better quality than what it is.

It bugs me that the artifacts are there. Many people may not even see them but it makes me crazy....(just me).

Well this is the final cut (after adjusing bits and removing gpu rendering)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP26KircHGE

Anywhere that you see black you can notice tons of artifacts.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 07. 2019 23:18

optodata
[Post New]
Quote Uploaded to the OneDrive.

Thanks, but that just has the plain clip, and not any of the edits in this image. Can you please upload that PDS file?

Quote Bottom line it is safe to say that GPU rendering lowers the quality. Something that I was able to prove at the beginning.

No, that's waaaay too broad a statement. Also, you found that the bitrate seemed to have been overwritten, which will drasticaly reduce the visual quality. I can produce various options quickly and you can decide.

Quote I don't think we will be able to produce any better quality than what it is.

It bugs me that the artifacts are there. Many people may not even see them but it makes me crazy....(just me).

Well this is the final cut (after adjusing bits and removing gpu rendering)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP26KircHGE

Anywhere that you see black you can notice tons of artifacts.

One thing to keep in mind is that YouTube completely re-renders everything into a streamable format, and that can sometimes affect the quality and make existing artifacts more obvious. Obviously we all want to have the best quality going in so that it ends up looking great in all resolutions.