Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Magic Motion Changed?
[Post New]
I have been using PD since about version 7, and have created dozens of videos with magic motion pan and zoom in them. All of sudden since update 17-2514.2 magic motion has changed. Go into Magic Motion on an image -- select User Defined icon. Make sure "freeform" is selected. Create a keyframe about halfway down the clip. Make this keyframe duplicate the first keyframe at the beginning of the image, which is the entire image selected. Then create a keyframe a little farther along. Modify this keyframe to zoom in on the image. Select previous keyframe and bang, both the previous keyframe, and the initial one have changed, but not the same as the last zoomed in keyframe. Fails whether the last keyframe is duplicated or added. In previous versions the previous keyframes were left "as is". Now, a changed to any keyframe results in a proportional change to every other keyframe!

What the?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 23. 2019 17:42

Previously known as PDuser97031 (had to create a new user after changing email address)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I have been using PD since about version 7, and have created dozens of videos with magic motion pan and zoom in them.

Me too.

It hasn't changed from PDR16, as far as I can see. I barely ever use freeform Pan & Zoom/Magic Motion so I've never even noticed that the initial keyframes reset themselves like that. The same thing happens in PDR16 when using freeform.

It doesn't happen in PDR16 or 17 when 4:3 or 16:9 are selected. The initial keyframes remain set as expected.

Unlisted screen capture showing PDR16 & 17:

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Quote It hasn't changed from PDR16, as far as I can see. I barely ever use freeform Pan & Zoom/Magic Motion so I've never even noticed that the initial keyframes reset themselves like that. The same thing happens in PDR16 when using freeform.

Hmmm. I went from 15 to 17 so can't confirm this behavior in 16. When I'm doing Pan/Zoom I really don't want a fixed aspect ratio, I'm doing it with freeform to get the best effects (like panning across a portion of an image), or moving in and out on parts of an image (samples provided upon request). Basically I'm turning an image into a video. Being forced to use a fixed aspect ratio would severely limit my purposes for using pan/zoom. Do you really think that the 16/17 behavior is the way it should be for this function? What would be the reasoning behind it? Previously known as PDuser97031 (had to create a new user after changing email address)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote When I'm doing Pan/Zoom I really don't want a fixed aspect ratio, I'm doing it with freeform to get the best effects (like panning across a portion of an image), or moving in and out on parts of an image (samples provided upon request). Basically I'm turning an image into a video. Being forced to use a fixed aspect ratio would severely limit my purposes for using pan/zoom. Do you really think that the 16/17 behavior is the way it should be for this function? What would be the reasoning behind it?

There have been several issues with keyframes reported, like this one and this one (which has since been patched, but seems related).

All of the "Magic" tools are specialized editors that generally make getting the desired effect easy to achieve. However, the trade-off is that you have many fewer choices than the main timeline tools allow.

You can do everything you're looking for with normal keyframes and the PiP Designer, and your experience with the Magic Motion tool will you give you a head start. About the only "advantage" that Magic Motion has over working with regular keyframes is that it automatically adds curves to the motion path, which can really give a smooth panning effect when changing directions.

I put "advantage" in quotes, because oftentimes adding a new keyframe causes the content frame to go off the edge of the clip, and once that happens, it's extremely hard to keep the content entirely within the frame since you have exactly zero control over the curves the Magic tool automatically adds.

Using regular keyframes, you can use the Ease-in and Ease-out settings to smoothly start and stop any motion, plus you're free to resize the content frame to any size and aspect ratio, along with never, ever having an edge go out of frame unless you want it to.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 24. 2019 16:19

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Do you really think that the 16/17 behavior is the way it should be for this function? What would be the reasoning behind it?

I agree that how the freeform pan & zoom "functions" is NOT what a user would expect. In fact, in its current state, it's next to useless. Even when you go back and reset the keyframes that have been changed by some other action, that causes other keyframes to reset themselves... so I couldn't possibly attempt to explain the "reasoning behind it".

As optodata says, you can do what you want (I think) in PiP Designer. You can also use keyframed masks to pan across an image.

Cheers - Tony
[Post New]
I'm going to report this as a bug via problem reporting (which rarely has worked in the past and usually results in support wanting me to waste time on trying a bunch of irrelevant things in denial of there being a problem). But it's the best I as a user can do to get the issue rectified (back to the way it worked before).

In the meantime I'll try using the PIP tools work-around, but it sounds more labor intensive with inferior results (e.g. no path smoothing).

Thanks for your replies. At least now I know it's not a user error.

:o) Previously known as PDuser97031 (had to create a new user after changing email address)
[Post New]
Ticket ID: CS002004806
Related Product: PowerDirector
Subject: Magic Motion not working as in PD15
2019/03/24 15:18

On PD17-2514.2, when using "freeform" with keyframes in Magic Motion, changes to the size/shape of selection area on any keyframe causes all the other keyframes to change proportionally. This problem is more fully described in this forum posting:
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/78859.page

Apparently this behavior is also exhibited in PD16. Other users have confirmed this issue on their own systems, and agree that it is not the correct/expected behavior. In fact it makes using "freeform" useless. Freeform is the main reason for even using pan/zoom in Magic Motion.

There is no logical reason for other keyframes to change, and the behavior of keyframe editing needs to be restored back to the way it was prior to PD16. Previously known as PDuser97031 (had to create a new user after changing email address)
ynotfish
[Post New]
er - re: Magic Motion not working as in PD15

PDR15 does exactly the same thing using freeform in Magic Motion. surprised Keyframes get reset for no obvious reason.

As I said, I've hardly ever used it, so I'm not speaking with any authority - just what I observe now.

PDR15 Magic Motion Freeform...

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 24. 2019 18:58

[Post New]
Quote er - re: Magic Motion not working as in PD15 PDR15 does exactly the same thing using freeform in Magic Motion. surprised Keyframes get reset for no obvious reason.

Hmmmm. Something else is going on. I never had that problem on PD15, and did gobs of pan/zooms. I'll find a small clip and upload it as an example.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 24. 2019 20:15

Previously known as PDuser97031 (had to create a new user after changing email address)
[Post New]
Here's an example of my use of pan/zoom using PD15.
https://youtu.be/_djbPBYzHG0?t=1663 Previously known as PDuser97031 (had to create a new user after changing email address)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
It does seem that the aspect ratio was maintained as the rabbit is not distorted while panning and zooming.
[Post New]
Quote It does seem that the aspect ratio was maintained as the rabbit is not distorted while panning and zooming.

Yes, once the keyframe selected area is set, it stays that way for that keyframe. If go to another keyframe with different freeform aspect ratio, then PD automatically adjusts between keyframes. Perhaps this wasn't a good example as the keyframes appear to be 4x3 (but actually aren't).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 25. 2019 16:19

[Post New]
I just spent quite a while trying to find a work-around to this problem. Tried shift/ctrl/alt key combinations, changing a keyframe to freeform when other keyframes are locked aspect ratio, presets other than "User Defined", etc., etc. No luck. Changing any freeform keyframe changes all others in proportion. Once it actually worked properly until I added a 3rd keyframe, then fell apart.

I also tried the PIP work-around suggested. I could not find a way to even come close to the things you can do in Magic Motion Pan & Zoom, so that will not work for me.

This is really a mystery. For me it started with PD17, but others say it's always been this way. This has not been my experience. In any case, it's unusable functionality at the present time. I miss it.

P.S. In the Magic Motion Designer if you press the "?" at the top of the dialog and choose "Magic Motion tutorial" you get a video done on PD7, which is completely obsolete from the way this dialog now works.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 25. 2019 19:44

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
From what I can see, I'll side with Tony on this one. From what I've been able to evaluate, PD15,16,17 all behave the same way with freeform. Basically, it appears it's never worked as a user would envision since introduced in PD15. PD14 never had the freeform option.

PDuser97031B, from what I can see from your posted desert bit is you never used freeform. Everything from 27:33 onward when you transitioned from 16:9 to some motion, you enforced a 4:3 frame. Both PD15 and PD17 appear to work correctly with the 4:3 enforced as far as I can tell.

Jeff
ynotfish
[Post New]
Yea! First time today someone agreed with me laughing

When I looked at the "Walk in the Desert" video, I couldn't see how freeform keyframes were used at all. To me, it looks like panning and zooming across a single image with other images planted on it.

In honour of Jeff's confirmation of my observations (& CP's birthday), here's a little Pan & Zoom video using images taken (not by me) in Petrified Forest National Park in sunny Arizona. It looks (& sounds) a lot like the one posted by PDuser97-31B, but no freeform - just 16:9 & 4:3.

Cheers - Tony
[Post New]
Thanks for everybody's help in investigating this issue. I guess it turns out I've never used freeform since before PD15 embarassed. That being said, would it be possible for the senior contributors to nudge Cyberlink to get freeform working properly going forward? I can see it being a useful capability. I doubt if the "ticket" I posted above will go anywhere based on my experience submitting previous "tickets". Perhaps the senior contributers could provide support that this needs to be corrected.

Thanks! Previously known as PDuser97031 (had to create a new user after changing email address)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I just tried Pan & Zoom/freeform on a stitched panorama and the previous keyframes were in place and did not reset as expected. By not knowing the frame for 16:9 I have black bars on the top and bottom. Want a panned but not zoomed in panorama. I probably will go back to 16:9.
[Post New]
I will follow up on this request from support...

Customer Support Response 2019/03/26 11:03
Dear Roy,
Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.
If we understand you correctly, you have concerns using the freeform with keyframes in Magic Motion.
We may have to get more details so we can identify your concern accurately and assist you further.
Kindly describe your query more clearly. Please list down the steps you did and provide the following:
Video Capture showing the concern:
1. On your PowerDirector, go to the Capture tab.
2. Select Capture from screen (PC with red dot icon).
3. Click Record, then reproduce the concern.
You may upload the video using DropBox or GoogleDrive then provide the shareable link to us.
Please feel free to contact us back for further clarification or assistance related to CyberLink Products. Use the link below to get back to us:
https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
Thanks and Regards,
Julius
CyberLink Technical Support
[Post New]
Ticket ID: CS002004806
Related Product: PowerDirector
Subject: Magic Motion not working as in PD15
2019/03/26 16:02

The video you requested to detail this issue has been posted at...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xo8hzby5o2v6adm/panzoomtest1_1.mp4?dl=0

Again, the issue is further detailed in this forum thread...
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/78859.page

Why did you ask me for further information, and then close this ticket as resolved?
ynotfish
[Post New]
Resolved? Resolved?

tomasc - I think you're onto something with your panorama comment. I've just replicated that: set up panorama with freeform keyframes & use only pan (no zoom) the freeform keyframes don't reset themselves.

Ooops - tried that a few times and it seemed to confirm it, then I somehow managed to create a bit of zoom (without previous keyframes being reset). I'll have to scratch deeper to find out what I actually did!

PDuser97031B - your screen capture shows the issue well.

Cheers - Tony