Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video puts frames I deleted
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote If I delete the temporary files do I have to restart the project ? Are the temporary files the same as the shadow files ?

PD will re-create any temp files after you've deleted any existing ones, and ideally that would solve the "ghosting" issue here. You do not have to abandon your project, but you would want to close and restart PD. If you use the Manually Delete option in PD, you'll have to start a new project or open another one to free up the in-use files so they can be deleted. If you want to clear out the cache folders directly as Tony has suggested, just make sure PD is closed.

Shadow files are temporary files, but for a different purpose. If you have them enabled and nothing else is solving the problem, you can try deleting those as well. Nothing in your project (edits, etc) will be affected.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
FROMNOW [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 26, 2018 18:46 Messages: 73 Offline
[Post New]

PD will re-create any temp files after you've deleted any existing ones, and ideally that would solve the "ghosting" issue here. You do not have to abandon your project, but you would want to close and restart PD. If you use the Manually Delete option in PD, you'll have to start a new project or open another one to free up the in-use files so they can be deleted. If you want to clear out the cache folders directly as Tony has suggested, just make sure PD is closed.

Shadow files are temporary files, but for a different purpose. If you have them enabled and nothing else is solving the problem, you can try deleting those as well. Nothing in your project (edits, etc) will be affected.

Just to make sure because I definitely do want to avoid to restart the project.

Manually deleting means I go to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\MediaCache and delete them myself ? If i do that PD has to be closed at the same time otherwise I have to restart the project ?

Or I can clear them in the preferences and then restart PD (without saving, I don't know if it would ask to save) ?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
The original file is 23.976 fps.

The timeline is set to 24 fps.

As produce settings I used a custom profile with 23.976 fps. Frame type progressive. High profile. CABAC.
Average bitrate 15500 (I didn't know what to use and it was set to 15500; also I don't know how to find the average bitrate of the original file with mediaInfo). Quality mode. Use deblocking.

I produced 15-20 different clips from second 47-52 where 3 deleted frames popped up (there are many others in the modified music video clip) and all gave the same result.

Thanks, was the 23.976 source video progressive?

These rouge frames that you captured, are they always a so-called neighbor frame from your cut. From your original post I gathered that to be the case, but maybe incorrectly.

Jeff
FROMNOW [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks, was the 23.976 source video progressive?

These rouge frames that you captured, are they always a so-called neighbor frame from your cut. From your original post I gathered that to be the case, but maybe incorrectly.

Jeff

Yes it was progressive but I also tried the other option and the same happened.

It happens that they are not there but when they are there it's always the last frame on a clip mostly when there is another clip right next to it but sometimes even when the clip is there just by itself (by which I mean there's at least a 2 seconds of empty black space).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 22. 2019 08:28

FROMNOW [Avatar]
[Post New]
I deleted the temporary files and now in the preview these frames are actually shown to be there.
FROMNOW [Avatar]
[Post New]
I restarted the project and it's not going well.

At a certain point it's putting all frames one to the left. In the preview/on the timeline it's showing 1 frame before. if I take a snapshot it's showing the one on the right, the one that will be put in the produce.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I restarted the project and it's not going well.

At a certain point it's putting all frames one to the left. In the preview/on the timeline it's showing 1 frame before. if I take a snapshot it's showing the one on the right, the one that will be put in the produce.

Wow, this is frustrating. I wonder if there's something about your workflow or the specifics of the clips you're working with that are adding up to cause these problems.

I think it might help tremendously if you could use File > Pack Project Materials... and send everything to a cloud folder and paste the link to it here. That way other members can see your exact project in front of them and can really get a sense for both what you're trying to do and how PD responds. Hopefully that will lead us to either a solution for the issues or a workaround that avoids them.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Agreed optodata. Looking at the actual project would be more helpful than trying to replicate & second-guessing the details.

I also agree with Jeff's thinking here, that the issue could well be related to frame rate.

I fabricated an "original" file produced to 23.976 progressive, dropped it in a 24fps timeline and followed the split, remove, shuffle process, so my timeline resembled yours, with the audio track left intact.

I have been unable to replicate the snapshot issue you showed in your second screen capture, not any errors in the produced file. So - there's something different about what you're doing.

I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly) that the speed changes (slo-mo) sections were part of the original "Feel Invincible" clip. If this is the clip you're using, that's true.

That particular clip is indeed 23.976fps (variable). MediaInfo report attached.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Skillet - Feel Invincible [Official Music Video].mp4.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
4 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
428 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
FROMNOW [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks a lot guys for all your suggestions and it feels really good to know that if needed you would be willing to look at the files themselves and so on.

Luckily I don't think it will be necessary this time.

I removed the automatic shadow files creation so it doesnt create any from the original and started again.

Everything is fine like this.

As a test I did the same with shadow files and took snapshots from the timeline and indeed the problem was there: beginning was fine but after 1min the snapshots showed that the preview was constantly 1 frame to the right of the snapshots (and the snapshots are the same as the produce).

Let's see what happens when I will edit hollywood movies maybe I'll be forced to use shadow files because of size or maybe it was only because of this specific video music clip.

Thank you to all for the help
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly) that the speed changes (slo-mo) sections were part of the original "Feel Invincible" clip. If this is the clip you're using, that's true.

That particular clip is indeed 23.976fps (variable). MediaInfo report attached.

If that MediaInfo report is in fact what FROMNOW is working with as source material, yes, I believe my fps intuition could be very relevant and editing experience will always suffer in PD.

FROMNOW, what you could do is the "Pack Project Materials..." of your current project so you create something to work with. Take your source clip(s) and encode in HandBrake or the like and encode at a "Constant Framerate", be it 23.976 if that's what you like. PD always much happier with such source material. In this "Pack Project Materials..." folder simply replace the source mp4's with the newly encoded constant framerate files with identical names. Open and edit this project and see how it goes. Some frame cuts may not be exactly what you want but if you cut again do they stay as desired.

Jeff
FROMNOW [Avatar]
[Post New]

If that MediaInfo report is in fact what FROMNOW is working with as source material, yes, I believe my fps intuition could be very relevant and editing experience will always suffer in PD.

FROMNOW, what you could do is the "Pack Project Materials..." of your current project so you create something to work with. Take your source clip(s) and encode in HandBrake or the like and encode at a "Constant Framerate", be it 23.976 if that's what you like. PD always much happier with such source material. In this "Pack Project Materials..." folder simply replace the source mp4's with the newly encoded constant framerate files with identical names. Open and edit this project and see how it goes. Some frame cuts may not be exactly what you want but if you cut again do they stay as desired.

Jeff

Thanks for the tip.

I still risked it and so far I'm having no problems. I'm making multiple saves and keep older saves in case it goes corrupt