Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD17 freeze during loading Update Timeline Date, Project 80%) Also show not responding later,
Hank123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 27, 2014 02:20 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Pls help. Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 13. 2019 07:58

StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
What operating system are you using?

Which processor do you have with how much RAM? How much free, clean, defragmented space is on your hard drive?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what is your video's format and resolution?
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Steven is correct, Hank, you gave us absolutely nothing for information. How do you expect to get help?

• Computer specs via dxdiag, attached.

• Type of video or image files.

• What level and build of PD are you using?

• Have you updated patched PD?

• What kind of editing are you doing? Lots of FX?

Hank, you got to give us a little something. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Pls help. Thanks

Hank123, you have posted several times relating to issues with previous versions and now with PowerDirector 17.

I previous posts, you were given links to required information needed to diagnose your problems; for example this You never responded. We don't know if you ever solved your problem or not, If you did, we don't know how.

Please provide the needed information and never put your whole information in the title of your post. Use Google Translate if you are having a problem posting in English. If you can't use Google Translate, post in your native language and we can use the translator. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Hank123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote What operating system are you using?

Which processor do you have with how much RAM? How much free, clean, defragmented space is on your hard drive?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what is your video's format and resolution?

Window7. 16G. defragmented. Sony camcorder. MTS. HD.1072x760

I noticed this morning that if I leave it for longer time, maybe 15minutes, PD17 was able to Update fully, overcome the Update Timeline data "freeze. Works as normal.

When I exit and return again, the same thing happen, stuck at Project 80%.
I deleted 1/4 of the video files, Same thing happen, get stuck at project 80%. It will get through if I just leave it for 15 minutes +

Thanks for your help.
Hank
Hank123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Steven is correct, Hank, you gave us absolutely nothing for information. How do you expect to get help?

• Computer specs via dxdiag, attached.

• Type of video or image files.

• What level and build of PD are you using?

• Have you updated patched PD?

• What kind of editing are you doing? Lots of FX?

Hank, you got to give us a little something.

dont understand dxdiag
MTS video HD
level, build? think anser is 2-3 levels at time line

I just upgraded from PD13 to PD17, then ther was an auto patch 2 days ago

Editing. Fx? dont understand. just "normal editing, cut videos. joining up videos clips.

Pls see my earlier reply. unusual at prject 80% but it goes through after a long wait. thanks for your help.
Great forum here to check out other problems & solutions

I upgraded from PD13 to 17 cause PD 13 recently consistently freeze randomly. PD13 was not burning DVD for manymonths. Support for to overcome was poor by my standard. there was no support for PD13 freezing randomly from 2-3 emails sent in. PD17 worked accordingly for a few days until the above problem. Burnign DVD has not beenchecked yet. Some other users may find these problems too.
Hank123 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Window7. 16G. defragmented. Sony camcorder. MTS. HD.1072x760

I noticed this morning that if I leave it for longer time, maybe 15minutes, PD17 was able to Update fully, overcome the Update Timeline data "freeze. Works as normal.

When I exit and return again, the same thing happen, stuck at Project 80%.
I deleted 1/4 of the video files, Same thing happen, get stuck at project 80%. It will get through if I just leave it for 15 minutes +

Thanks for your help.
Hank

I think it only happen to this one pd17 file, I tried loading another pdf file of similar or large file size. It seemed to be ok. I should be using this forum for problems in future. sorry for poor english earlier. It was typed in haste.
Hank
Hank123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I see the same problem again on another project. PD17 freeze at Project 80%.
Guess, It wil go through after sometme, as mentioned above before

Is this insufficient memory problem?
My memory is 16GB.

There are many large mts files in Update Timelime upload.
Johnkl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 07, 2017 13:48 Messages: 43 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I see the same problem again on another project. PD17 freeze at Project 80%.
Guess, It wil go through after sometme, as mentioned above before

Is this insufficient memory problem?
My memory is 16GB.

There are many large mts files in Update Timelime upload.

I seems to have the same problem, however I think that I'we found the solution: It is disk bottleneck
My disk where all the footage are store are a large 4TB slow USB disk, the windows performance taskmanager showes 100% utilized disk. When I move the clips to a SSD all the problems with opening a large project dissaperes
Hank123 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I seems to have the same problem, however I think that I'we found the solution: It is disk bottleneck
My disk where all the footage are store are a large 4TB slow USB disk, the windows performance taskmanager showes 100% utilized disk. When I move the clips to a SSD all the problems with opening a large project dissaperes

I think my large hard drive 3TB connected through usb cause PD 13 to freeze randomly,2 months back. about 1.5TB were used. Before I t was ok. then I upgraded by 500G computer hard drive, not usb connected , to 1.5G., without the ext4rnal usb 3G turned on. I upgraded PD 13 to 17 recently. The freezing that i am seeing at Project 80% for 10- 15 minutes happen under these settings.

I dont know what HD connection type SSD or other type. ae my computer.
Elfgren [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 17, 2012 10:59 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Hi I am having the exact same problem. I have a usb3 ssd drive with mp4 footage from my gopro and mtx files from my sony.

Programs hangs at 80% when loading this project. If I leave it on it might continue after a couple of hours!!

The program is not dead but takes about 7% cpu and about 1 Gb memory or 23% memory no disk activity.

I just updated to latest version today an the program now hangs. On the timeline I have about 5 hours footage where most of the
mtx files are on track 2 while the gopro mp4 files are on track 1. at the first 45 min the mp4 files and the mtx files are mixed on track1. The thing I know so far is that I have a lot of gopro mp4 files with 100fps and 200fps and for some of the 100fps files I slow down this to 50 fps to se this footage in slowmotion.
I have w10 and a amd with 8 processor 16 threads and 32 Gb of ram The gpu sometimes show 1-2 % activity.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Best regards

Sven Erik Elfgren

Actually I found a workaround. As the gopro footage is mostly 4K 50Fps I use the shadowfile possibility. Now Turning off this before loading, the loading is smooth and fast ! After that I can turn it on and editing goes faster. It is obviously some kind of bug when loading a project with the shadowfiles turned on.

Best regards

Sven Erik Elfgren

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 03. 2019 14:10

AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
I realize that PD17 takes a while to get out of 80% 1 to 2 minutes, for projects with more than 150 files, I think PD does not like working with more than 100 files.

If I have a very large project and I split it in 2 or 3 parts.

If I need to make a single file, I put together the videos produced or the projects before producing the video.

To make the editing smoother, I use shadow files, I'm not sure, once created, the project should load faster next time.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 03. 2019 16:17

XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
Hank123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi I am having the exact same problem. I have a usb3 ssd drive with mp4 footage from my gopro and mtx files from my sony.

Programs hangs at 80% when loading this project. If I leave it on it might continue after a couple of hours!!

The program is not dead but takes about 7% cpu and about 1 Gb memory or 23% memory no disk activity.

I just updated to latest version today an the program now hangs. On the timeline I have about 5 hours footage where most of the
mtx files are on track 2 while the gopro mp4 files are on track 1. at the first 45 min the mp4 files and the mtx files are mixed on track1. The thing I know so far is that I have a lot of gopro mp4 files with 100fps and 200fps and for some of the 100fps files I slow down this to 50 fps to se this footage in slowmotion.
I have w10 and a amd with 8 processor 16 threads and 32 Gb of ram The gpu sometimes show 1-2 % activity.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Best regards

Sven Erik Elfgren

Actually I found a workaround. As the gopro footage is mostly 4K 50Fps I use the shadowfile possibility. Now Turning off this before loading, the loading is smooth and fast ! After that I can turn it on and editing goes faster. It is obviously some kind of bug when loading a project with the shadowfiles turned on.

Best regards

Sven Erik Elfgren
I dont know about shadow files. I dont think Iuse them. Lately, I have not seen PD 17 stopping at 80% for long period. PD asked a few times to the the acceleration. Done that 3x but it is still asking. There is new intermittent problemon intermittent crash. Reports were sent back to PD 17 people. My observation. Thanks
Hank123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I realize that PD17 takes a while to get out of 80% 1 to 2 minutes, for projects with more than 150 files, I think PD does not like working with more than 100 files.

If I have a very large project and I split it in 2 or 3 parts.

If I need to make a single file, I put together the videos produced or the projects before producing the video.

To make the editing smoother, I use shadow files, I'm not sure, once created, the project should load faster next time.
I have many small 1MB to large MTS files 50Mb as well, more than 100 files opened at a time for one project. Your solution coudl be the answer, splitting them up and joining the differernt Produced files if the problem happen again. Hope PD people see the same problem and are able to solve the issue. Last 3weeks+, I have not seen stopping at 80% for very long period. It is much shorter, acceptable. You should see the same as what I am seeing. Another different thing that I have done is wroking the files at C: hard disk, not external hard disk. Retrieval on C is faster. Speed has something to do with stopping, I guess. Maybe my external 3 TB has to many files there, and not a fast speed drive.
Elfgren [Avatar]
[Post New]
The link below is to a video showing two bugs that crawls to the surface if you are using large projects. The video also shows workarounds for these bugs.

The first bug is loading a large project using shadowfiles. It freezes for hours at 80%

The second bug is about inserting a transition on a long timline
and trying to change the length of the transition. Maybe someone found the obvious workarond earlier.

Best regards

Sven Erik Elfgren

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h1wN6dBCS1zcqwtYUDaIZEzl53FO3ylt/view?usp=drive_web
Hank123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The link below is to a video showing two bugs that crawls to the surface if you are using large projects. The video also shows workarounds for these bugs.

The first bug is loading a large project using shadowfiles. It freezes for hours at 80%

The second bug is about inserting a transition on a long timline
and trying to change the length of the transition. Maybe someone found the obvious workarond earlier.

Best regards

Sven Erik Elfgren

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h1wN6dBCS1zcqwtYUDaIZEzl53FO3ylt/view?usp=drive_web

Thanks for reply. I am still facing the freezing at 80% last 2 days. Hav eto break up the hundred files single project to 2 projects in future to avoid this unless PD software people solve this.
Elfgren [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks for reply. I am still facing the freezing at 80% last 2 days. Hav eto break up the hundred files single project to 2 projects in future to avoid this unless PD software people solve this.

So are you using shadowfiles? If so Have you tried my workaround shown in the video ? For me it saved a lot of work not having to split my big project in smaller ones.

Best regards

Sven Erik Elfgren
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]

So are you using shadowfiles? If so Have you tried my workaround shown in the video ? For me it saved a lot of work not having to split my big project in smaller ones.

Best regards

Sven Erik Elfgren

Hi Elfgren, Thanks for the suggestion.

Shutdown Shadow Files, resolves the delay and halt to 80%, to load project with many files.

After you must reconnect, to work on the shadow files.

Example: With shadow files I can accelerate playback in the 4X timeline, without only 2X.ct

Cyberlink could implement this forever, so avoid this, on / off shadow file, I think.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 11. 2019 06:44

XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
Hank123 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Best regards

Sven Erik Elfgren

I dont know about shadow files. Beaking up project would take more time to do the videos
thanks
Hank
AVPlayVideo
[Post New]

I dont know about shadow files. Beaking up project would take more time to do the videos
thanks
Hank

Shadow files, if enabled converts the FullHD or 4K videos to a lower resolution,
Example: Fullhd resolution 1920x1080 lines, will be converted to 720x480 lines, this leaves the editing but quick and smooth in the timeline.
At the end you will Produce the video in the resolution that is chosen in Produce.
We'll have time to process the shadow files, but for me it's worth it, if I do not use it for sure, I'll spend more time editing it and I might get annoyed at some point.
Enable and disable shadow file.
PD. Open, Press keys, Alt + C
Preferences / General
Check the box. Enable shadow files ... / OK

see screenshot
[Thumb - shadow files.png]
 Filename
shadow files.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
28 Kbytes