Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Browser not found on PD17 for downloading Templates
davecvideo
Newbie Location: Kitsap, WA Joined: Jan 02, 2012 15:34 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
After the upgrade, I can't download templates because I get a "Please install a browser on your PC" message (I have 3 installed).
Has this been fixed or is there a workaround other than going directly to DirectorZone to get templates? Thanks! See the Difference video can make with DaveCVideo!
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote After the upgrade, I can't download templates because I get a "Please install a browser on your PC" message (I have 3 installed).
Has this been fixed or is there a workaround other than going directly to DirectorZone to get templates? Thanks!
Is one of those browsers, Internet Explorer or Edge?

Powerdirector uses IE or Edge for downloading. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi davecvideo -

You're right. Accessing DirectorZone via PDR is quite different in PDR17 compared to previous versions.

My view is that either (a) something's been left out or (b) I'm missing something.

In all previous versions, DZ templates can be downloaded via PDR. In PDR17 (aside from sound clips in the Media Library) a user only has access to their own previously uploaded or downloaded templates.

See this screen capture...

I may be wrong & I wouldn't mind being shown where. Deliberately or not, I think PDR17 is missing one of these in each of the template rooms... of course, you can download templates directly from DZ (just not via PDR17).

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 12. 2018 21:47

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
davecvideo
[Post New]

Powerdirector uses IE or Edge for downloading.

Yes sir, they are. Both of which kick in if some other program decides it only wants to open with them. Chrome is my default browser, though. Thanks for the followup. See the Difference video can make with DaveCVideo!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Yes sir, they are. Both of which kick in if some other program decides it only wants to open with them. Chrome is my default browser, though. Thanks for the followup.

I wonder if there's simply a problem with how your default browser is registered in Windows. Close PowerDirector and go to Windows' Start menu, then click on the gear (Settings), then Apps and then Default Apps. Try changing it to Edge for this test:

You can keep the Setings window open, and then start PD and try to download a template. If Edge opens correctly, then close PD and change the default browser back to Chrome and see if the problem with PD is resolved.

I changed my default browser to Opera and PD opened it when I clicked on "More Premium Effects" from the PiP Objects Room, so I don't think there's a reason that PD can't use other browsers. That's why I think you may get Chrome to work by changing the default browser away from Chrome, then back to it.

Let us know how it goes!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
davecvideo
[Post New]
Didn't work. Changed to Edge. Verified pages opening in Edge. Opened PD and still getting the error.

I wonder if there's simply a problem with how your default browser is registered in Windows. Close PowerDirector and go to Windows' Start menu, then click on the gear (Settings), then Apps and then Default Apps. Try changing it to Edge for this test:

You can keep the Setings window open, and then start PD and try to download a template. If Edge opens correctly, then close PD and change the default browser back to Chrome and see if the problem with PD is resolved.

I changed my default browser to Opera and PD opened it when I clicked on "More Premium Effects" from the PiP Objects Room, so I don't think there's a reason that PD can't use other browsers. That's why I think you may get Chrome to work by changing the default browser away from Chrome, then back to it.

Let us know how it goes!
See the Difference video can make with DaveCVideo!
davecvideo
[Post New]
Yes. I have both of those installed. I followed the suggestion given later of changing my default browser to Edge and restarting PD to see if that resolved it. It did not. Any idea why PD now required one of those browsers? Thanks!
DaveC

Powerdirector uses IE or Edge for downloading.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You may want to try uninstalling PD, rebooting, and then reinstalling PD. You won't lose any settings, downloaded content or customizations.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

davecvideo
[Post New]
No success. I saw at least one other person was having the same problem.

Quote You may want to try uninstalling PD, rebooting, and then reinstalling PD. You won't lose any settings, downloaded content or customizations.
optodata
[Post New]
Definitely time to raise the issue with Cyberlink Tech Support.

YouTube/optodata