Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Why does PD15 barely utilize my GPU (NVIDIA GTX1050ti)?
deluxeincorporated [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 05, 2018 16:36 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not sure if PD is even using my GPU or not. When I'm editing & previewing I get frequent lag/stutter/freezing despite my GPU usage barely going over 10%. My CPU & RAM aren't bottlenecking either so I don't understand why it's so sluggish. The GPU usage shows around 5-20% activity when producing a video.

I have hardware decoding & shadow files enabled & "Enable NVIDIA CUDA technology to speed up video effect preview/render" selected. I've tried many different combinations of settings in PD as well as in my NVIDIA control panels 3D management settings for PD specifically, but the lag never goes away.

My pc specs are i7 2600 CPU, 16GB of RAM, GTX 1050 ti, Windows 7 Ultimate on a Samsung EVO 850 SSD.
pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
PD should NOT be saying CUDA. It should be saying OpenCL. See my video about this. jmp.sh/FQICvy0
[Post New]
Quote PD should NOT be saying CUDA. It should be saying OpenCL. See my video about this. jmp.sh/FQICvy0

Why do I want it to say OpenCL over CUDA & how do I switch it? Is it not utilizing my GPU with the current CUDA setting?

Sorry, I'm new to this.
pmikep [Avatar]
[Post New]
The drivers from nVidia don't support CUDA anymore.

I don't know why your system is only offering you CUDA in PD15. I presume that you have installed the latest (and presumably greatest) drivers from nVidia for your new card?

In my case, per my video, the only way I could get PD15 to offer OpenCL was to reboot Win7.

(However, since making that video, I resinstalled Win7, patched it with a later version of WSUS Offline Updater, and now I don't have the problem I hightlighted in the video anymore.)
[Post New]
Quote The drivers from nVidia don't support CUDA anymore.

I don't know why your system is only offering you CUDA in PD15. I presume that you have installed the latest (and presumably greatest) drivers from nVidia for your new card?

In my case, per my video, the only way I could get PD15 to offer OpenCL was to reboot Win7.

(However, since making that video, I resinstalled Win7, patched it with a later version of WSUS Offline Updater, and now I don't have the problem I hightlighted in the video anymore.)

I have the latest driver for my NVIDIA card installed & still I only get the CUDA option. If the drivers from NVIDIA no longer support CUDA, why are there options to change CUDA settings in my NVIDIA control panel?

Does this confirm that PD15 is not using my GPU for any hardware acceleration? I would like to know this for sure because I really feel like I should be getting better performance than I am currently.

What was the difference in PD performance like when you had the OpenCL option enabled compared to when the program forgot your GPU? If I have a number of video clips doing transitions with effects, I have to lower the preview quality to avoid lag, stutter, & choppiness.

Thanks for the help.
pmikep [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sounds like you might have some left overs from previous drivers?

Perhaps you should try using DDU (from guru3d - find it on the web) to completely remove any old nVidia stuff. And then reinstall the latest driver. (Naturally, make a backup image of your Windows drive so you can recover if something goes wrong.)
[Post New]
I'll give that a shot.

Also, I'm noticing now that my CPU is bottlenecking to 100% while previewing & editing at full HD. Does this imply that PD is trying to use my onboard Intel graphics instead of the GPU which is always hovering around 10% usage?

Should I reasonably expect that a GTX 1050 ti could handle editing videos at full HD preview without this sort of sluggishness?
pmikep [Avatar]
[Post New]
Oh, wait - I didn't know you had integrated Intel graphics.

There's a known problem with that setup, where PD uses the Intel, not an external GPU.

Search the forum for it. IIRC, one solution is to disable the Intel IGU in BIOS, if that option is available.
[Post New]
Quote Oh, wait - I didn't know you had integrated Intel graphics.

There's a known problem with that setup, where PD uses the Intel, not an external GPU.

Search the forum for it. IIRC, one solution is to disable the Intel IGU in BIOS, if that option is available.

I'm pretty sure my integrated graphics are already disabled though, there's no option for it in device manager & PD recognizes my NVIDIA card via the 'enable NVIDIA CUDA' setting, it just doesn't give me the OpenCL option I evidently need.

I found this thread with a potential solution but the links are dead: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/47907.page#post_box_250488

I've noticed almost everyone with the intel onboard graphics issue are using laptops, I am using a desktop. I don't know if that makes a difference. Very confusing. I hope I can figure this out before I give up & try other software.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 09. 2018 01:28

LouisV [Avatar]
Member Joined: Aug 10, 2013 18:43 Messages: 50 Offline
[Post New]
Don't use PD on a portable with integrated graphics. It will seldom work. It was a problem in the past, it is a problem now and it will be a problem in the future. I have spent hours and hours to try to work my NVidia without success. Cyberlink says it is a NVidia problem, NVidia says it is a Cyberlink problem. Portables will always try to use the Intel graphics. Open your Bios and see if you can select the NVidia. If there is no option for selecting, just give up, you're waisting your time. Just remember that PD has the fastest rendering of all. So, even with a modern Intel gpu you probably will render faster than rendering with another editor that uses NVidia.

grz
LouisV
[Post New]
Quote Don't use PD on a portable with integrated graphics. It will seldom work. It was a problem in the past, it is a problem now and it will be a problem in the future. I have spent hours and hours to try to work my NVidia without success. Cyberlink says it is a NVidia problem, NVidia says it is a Cyberlink problem. Portables will always try to use the Intel graphics. Open your Bios and see if you can select the NVidia. If there is no option for selecting, just give up, you're waisting your time. Just remember that PD has the fastest rendering of all. So, even with a modern Intel gpu you probably will render faster than rendering with another editor that uses NVidia.

grz
LouisV

By portable, do you mean laptop? I'm using a desktop.
LouisV [Avatar]
Member Joined: Aug 10, 2013 18:43 Messages: 50 Offline
[Post New]

By portable, do you mean laptop? I'm using a desktop.

Yes, laptop. On a laptop it is almost impossible to disable your iGPU (Intel). I have forgotten the technical details, but the system needs the iGPU to work properly on a laptop. When you are using a desktop you can disable the iGPU in the BIOS (UEFI). PD then has to use the NVidia card; so for PD there is no choise between iGPU and NVidia. I have done so and PD works fine with NVidia 1060 (I7-7700 , 3,60 GHz).

Good luck
grz
LouisV
[Post New]

Yes, laptop. On a laptop it is almost impossible to disable your iGPU (Intel). I have forgotten the technical details, but the system needs the iGPU to work properly on a laptop. When you are using a desktop you can disable the iGPU in the BIOS (UEFI). PD then has to use the NVidia card; so for PD there is no choise between iGPU and NVidia. I have done so and PD works fine with NVidia 1060 (I7-7700 , 3,60 GHz).

Good luck
grz
LouisV

Is 10-15% of GPU usage normal for editing/previewing when working in a large project with a lot of transitions & effects? If I get so much lag with such low GPU usage is it safe to say it's not being used for hardware acceleration?

I know that in my preferred video player, if I disable GPU acceleration & play a 4k video, my CPU spikes to 100% & the video becomes laggy & choppy, just like how it is editing in PD15, but when the GPU is selected, the CPU drops down, the GPU takes over & everything is smooth & without issue. I feel like this is what I should be expecting from PD, but maybe I'm wrong.
pmikep [Avatar]
[Post New]
Did you try DDU (in Safe Mode to be sure it gets everything)?

Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you. I don't recall PD15 stuttering when I did my Great American Solar Eclipse editing, 20 minutes of 2K video with some titles and bitmaps.(That is, I don't recall that editing the video was painful.)

I have my Preview Quality set for High only. I run an old quad core AMD. The only time I see it pinned is when I produce major changes to a video. (Like, when I took a Noir movie that was made in color and converted it to BW.) It's understood that hardware acceleration doesn't do tasks like that. Or stabilization. Or rotations.

Otherwise, when I'm editing a normal Noir movie (1.5 to 2.0 hours or so, at 720x480), the time line loads in about 10 seconds (RAID 10 on spinning drives), and i can scrub back and forth through the timeline as fast as I want and PD keeps up.

I did some testing the other day with PD15 where I produced a movie to H.265 and that took a while and used both the CPU and GPU. (I use ASUS's GPU Tweak II to monitor GPU stuff.) But PD doesn't use native NVENC for that. When I used Staxrip instead (pointing it to NVENC) my CPU use was middling. Converted a 2 hour movie to H.265 in 4 minutes.

You and I are both running Win7. Unless you have some background process that gets in the way of PD, our systems ought to run the same.(I don't run any Anti-Virus.)

But again, I have the "Use OpenCL" option checked.

I don't know where PD15 stores its initialization info. Perhaps you could delete the .ini in the PD directory and delete the cache folder on your C: drive (which wipes out Custom profiles for production) so that PD can re-query your hardware?

Or uninstall / reboot / install to a different directory to let PD start clean. (Although probably some registry stuff around. In other User Groups, some users offer a cleanup utility. I don't recall seeing that for PD. Might have to use a registry cleaner after the uninstall / reboot to clear the Registry. (Update: Found a link about a clean up tool on a CL website. But I don't see a download link. https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=14589 ))

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jul 10. 2018 01:58

[Post New]
So I got OpenCL to work by installing an older GTX 1050 ti driver & it has remained there since I reinstalled the newer driver again. I guess it reset my 3d settings & whatever I had in there before was preventing it from working.

Problem is, even with the OpenCL option clicked, the performance is the same as before. I'm unable to do smooth previews on HD or FullHD without tons of stuttering. My CPU bottlenecks while the GPU is barely doing anything. I guess I've got to accept that the GPU is not utilized for transitions, speed changes, & lots of effects. It seems to me to really be a waste of the graphics card when I'm looking at stats in the image linked below. CPU: 100%, GPU: 6%. I would have assumed they'd be more balanced out than that, but maybe I'm wrong as I'm not an expert with this stuff.

Other than that though, I'm having issues with audio distortion in the produced video (as well as in preview) that is absolutely not in the source audio file. I guess I'll have to make another thread for that, I've seen some other people with the same issues on here. I think when I'm finished this project I will be looking into Adobe Premiere or something else. I hate the idea of having to learn a piece of software all over again, but with Power Director I've spent more time troubleshooting than actually working on my project.

Thanks for the help anyway.
[Thumb - Performance.png]
 Filename
Performance.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
60 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 25. 2018 22:18

pmikep [Avatar]
[Post New]
Glad you got OpenCL working.

I've only got a 960 GTX. But if you want to upload a problematic portion of your project (Dropbox or a file sharing site), I'm happy to try it here to see how it previews on my computer.
pmikep [Avatar]
[Post New]
It might be that the tool that you're using to measure GPU performance is in error.

I was goofing around with Blender the other day doint a Render.

I had System Internal's Process Explorer running and decided to see what it said my GPU was doing.

Guess what? It said 10%.

But when I pulled up Asus's GPU Tweak UI, it showed something like 67% usage.

Although you did say that your preview stutters. So I guess there really is some kind of problem.