Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How can I tell which graphics card is being used?
Johnhhwales01 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: UK Joined: Jan 22, 2016 13:35 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all, I'm a new by to video editing so please bear with me. I have PD 14 Ultimate suite running on a beefy brand new gaming laptop running Windows 10 64 bit. It's an MSI Apache Pro with quad core i7 6700 processor, 16gig of ram, 256gig SSD, 1Terabyte HD and a Nvidia GE Force GTX 970m graphics card with 3gig of on board RAM.

My problem is video clips are all juddery and start stop, when viewed in the preview pane. i've tried various quality levels for the preview, such as the default "High" and HD etc. I read somewhere that there was a long standing issue with PD not using the NVidia cards installed on a PC, in particular the "m" mobile variations.

How can I check if the software is using the card? I've ticked hardware acceleration, but it makes no difference. According to the Windows device manager the card is working properly; but is it being used is a different matter.

Oh, the movies are all either 1080p or 4K clips.

thanks in advance.

John
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
With a clip on the timeline open prefs/Hardware Acceleration and read the top line with the checkbox. Go to Create Disc/Final burn and see what the encoding checkbox reads. Others may have different ways to find out the video card used.
[Post New]
Hi John

Did you follow these instructions to enable hardware encoding for your nvidia ?

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/25/46836.page

Post from Dafydd B

"HI DocDaddy & other editors,
I have received a reply (from CyberLink) which I will now quote from:
The issue is actually the restriction of the software NVIDIA Control Panel but not PowerDirector issue. We (CyberLink) made a workaround to avoid the restriction but there might be side effect of issues.

It is suggested that you back up the original modules before they are replaced by the provided workaround module.
==
For Intel/NVIDIA hybrid GPU platforms, there is a mechanism in the NVIDIA Control Panel to manage which third party software is allowed to use dGPU. The mechanism is managed by NVIDIA, not by CyberLink. CyberLink PowerDirector supports NVIDIA GPU, based on NVIDIA's specification, when there is no restriction. There is a workaround solution to let this kind of hybrid platform use the dGPU, but results in side effects for specific platform with specific VGA drivers. The resulting side effect is the preview window becomes a black screen during previewing when hardware decoding is enabled. The issue cannot be resolved from the software side.

To implement the workaround, please follow the steps below:

1. Go to PowerDirector installation folder. Find the 2 files "PDR.exe" and "PDR.exe.manifest" and rename them to
"PDR14.exe" and "PDR14.exe.manifest".
2. Download the file "GpuUtility.dll" and copy the file to the path C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14\CESdlls\
32bit: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/GpuUtility/32bit/GpuUtility.dll
64bit: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/GpuUtility/64bit/GpuUtility.dll
3. Download the files "GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe" and "GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe.manifest" and copy the
files to the path C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14
[GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe]
32bit: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/Gpu...it/GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe
64bit: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/Gpu...it/GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe
[GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe.manifest]
32bit: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/Gpu...lityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe.manifest
64bit: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/Gpu...lityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe.manifest
4. Reboot your computer.
5. After rebooting, right click on PDR14.exe and choose the option to run the software by NVIDIA GPU.

It is suggested that you back up the original modules before they are replaced by the provided workaround module.
=="
[Post New]
Do you remove geforce experience ? If no please do it.

You install gpuz and check the load of your GPU when rendering ?

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
Johnhhwales01 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi guys, thanks for the replies. FirstlyTheolilou, let me say, I'm not a techie. So downloading dll files etc, may be run of the mill for you guys, but is a quatum leap for me, taking me into completely unknown territory.

With regard to Tomasc's reply - I checked hardware acceleration in preferences. The top line with the check box says - "Enable OpenCl technology to speed up video effect preview/render". That's it. no mention of actual hardware.

I then went to Create Disc/Final but cannot find the "encoding checkbox" anywhere. Where should I be looking for it and what should I be looking for.

I know many of you reading this will think I'm some sort of numbnuts, but this is all new to me and we all have to start somewhere.

So I ask that anyone who is potentially going to reply and help me with this issue, please assume I know nothing, and you won't be far from the truth.

Thanks. John
[Post New]
Unfortunately, if you cannot follow the given instructions, you nvidia GPU will not be used. This is current issue with PD14.

Do somebody in your friends can help you to change the .dll files ?
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

Going by the question. "How can I tell which graphics card is being used?" Johnhhwales01 wanted to know which card was being used, moreso than whether one was in use or not. Possibly the computer itself might carry that info by looking in the "Device Manager" through Control Panel, if not, then it might be an idea to consult your computer dealer, as you hinted that your computer is quite new, John. Your dealer would certainly know what's tucked away inside than new beast you're using.

Cheers!

Neil
Johnhhwales01 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi guys (and gals),

I'm making progress. I'm 99.99% sure the intel graphics card is being used. When I go the Pro14.exe file and right click and ask to open the programme with a specific graphics card, it lists both cards ond shows the Intel to be the default. There is an option below this which says "change the default graphics card". When I click on this it opens the Nividia Control Panel. Within this there is the option to choose which graphics card to use with PD14. Ironically, the Nvidia card is not listed as an option, only the intel.

So unless I'm missing something blaringly obvious, the intel is the default and there is nothing I can do unless I can get my friendly local computer guru to implement the instructions kindly provided by Theolilou.

I bought the laptop from Amazon, so no chance of getting any help there. Luckily I use a local guy to sort out my PC problems. He's coming over in the next couple of days to sort out something else on my other pc, so he can implemeent the changes Theolilou provided.

Thanks to all for your help.

John
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
Deleted

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 26. 2016 07:39

Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: With regard to Tomasc's reply - I checked hardware acceleration in preferences. The top line with the check box says - "Enable OpenCl technology to speed up video effect preview/render". That's it. no mention of actual hardware.

Yes, that location is probably the most uninformative for identifying the GPU in use which was your OP question. For any card that supports OpenCL technology you will get that generic message. Both your i7 6700 processor GPU and your GTX 970m support OpenCL as well as about every recent card on the market so you will get that standard message.

However, if the GPU does not support Open CL, the wording on the UI will be replaced with the supported hardware acceleration technology: INTEL Effect Acceleration, NVIDIA CUDA, or AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing. In which case the message will read as such for Nvidia "Enable NVIDIA CUDA technology to speed up video effect preview/render". Again this would only occur for a fairly old or low end GPU, say a Nvidia Quadro FX 1700m (2008 vintage) which does not support OpenCL technology.

The easiest spot for a non techie to get a visual aid to identify which GPU PD is using is the about PD box (click PowerDirector in upper right corner). This about pic will show a stream of technology icons at the bottom for what is utilized on your platform. You will see either a blue Intel icon, red AMD/ATI, green Nvidia or nothing, windows VGA driver for the current GPU technology in use for this current PD edit session. Attached pic showing all 4 current potential options for GPU being utilized.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD14_GPU_used.png]
 Filename
PD14_GPU_used.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
98 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
319 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
That is good information and probably the fastest way to determine which graphics card that PD ultilize. Thanks Jeff. I don't have that many pc's with PowerDirector installed.
[Post New]
unfortunately this is theory. Reality is different with PD14. You will have open CL whatever Nvidia or Intel is used.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: That is good information and probably the fastest way to determine which graphics card that PD ultilize. Thanks Jeff. I don't have that many pc's with PowerDirector installed.

More pc's with PD would make it easy, I have one. Just configured differently to show.

Quote: unfortunately this is theory. Reality is different with PD14. You will have open CL whatever Nvidia or Intel is used.

Sorry Theolilou, I assume maybe you mean "whenever", but no theory there if you are referring to my post, what GPU logo is shown in the about PD box is the one PD is currently using. Any chance you are confusing OpenCL which is hardware acceleration with hardware encoding? OpenCL is also available on AMD GPU's as well as Intel and Nvidia. Hardware encoding capability is different with all 3 GPU's as that's proprietary to the particular vender. My last response on this, this posters thread is not the place to pollute with this discussion, a new thread or many other threads already exist discussing OpenCL and hardware encoding specific to PD.

Jeff

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 27. 2016 12:40

pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
So now Jeff's got me wondering how many "tiles" PD can fill on that screen?

Here's mine, with four blanks to go.

I presume one blank would be an icon for Intel igpu.

What are the others?

Can there be more than twelve?

(If image doesn't show in this message, it's here.)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Nov 12. 2018 14:46

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote So now Jeff's got me wondering how many "tiles" PD can fill on that screen?

Here's mine, with four blanks to go.

I presume one blank would be an icon for Intel igpu.

What are the others?

Can there be more than twelve?

Not sure I understand the relevance, but I guess CL can put as many tiles there as they wish. It used to be one and locatated above the versioning info, then 1 row of 7 below, then 2 rows of 6. I'm sure they could resize the icons and fit whatever they need as other technologies are supported.

But no, a blank spot would not be for the Intel gpu as you wouldn't have the Nvidia icon then. PD, at least currently, really only supports the primary GPU and its related technologies.

Jeff
pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
Tnx. Was simply curious what a maxed out system looked like. Would be interesting to see all the possible tiles, to see what I might be missing. (Although I'm content with what I have.) Like, I'm gonna guess there are tiles for the AMD equivalents of the Nvidia Features?

Hmm... I wonder if the tiles are simple stand alone icons in the PD Directory somewhere or if they're buried in the code?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 12. 2018 17:22

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Tnx. Was simply curious what a maxed out system looked like. Would be interesting to see all the possible tiles, to see what I might be missing. (Although I'm content with what I have.) Like, I'm gonna guess there are tiles for the AMD equivalents of the Nvidia Features?

The full set of GPU options, Nvidia, AMD, Intel, and basic VGA were shown in the previous attachment pic. Again, you simply get one of these tiles for the GPU PD is using so nothing about being maxed out. Don't worry, you are not "missing" anything, the tiles are technologies that the version of PD supports. So, if/when a version of PD supports say 8K, I'm sure you will see a 8K logo tile just like when CL added the 4K logo tile when they transitioned to 4K support at PD11. Maybe PD18 will bring you that 8K tile.

Jeff