Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Burn problems with PD7
jaschlicht1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 10, 2008 13:15 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
I have been working on a DVD project and originally, I was able to get it to burn, but now I can't get it to burn at all. It goes through the rendering and burn process and I get a message at the end that the burn was successful, but shortly after that I get an error message that the program needs to shut down. I can't even get the DVD to pop out as the door gets locked up. I have to shut the computer down and reboot in order to get the DVD out. Once I get the DVD out, I can tell something is burned on the disc, but it won't play. I have downloaded a trial version of Sony DVD Architect and WAS able to get a small movie to burn, and it played just fine, so I have ruled out any computer hardware issues. Any suggestions? I hate to think about having to uninstall and re-install without any real ideas on what's the hang up.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Jeff -

Even with my limited knowledge, it is fairly clear that something is amiss (apart from PD7's burning issue). Many other members have referred to this issue, but none of them has ever mentioned the disc burner door being stuck shut!

Your frustration is completely understood, but I don't think I'd completely rule out other factors that might be contributing to the problem.

Have you read these pages? They offer some alternatives and solutions.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/6419.page

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/3270.page

Cheers -

Tony

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 20. 2009 11:50

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hardware issue I think.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 20. 2009 11:46

jaschlicht1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have a brand new DVD burner in my computer, I did re-install my older burner and it did exactly the same thing, so I have ruled out a hardware issue with the Burner.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/2405.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
PART C
Uninstall and reinstall of PowerDirector

You didn't give the version and build you are using.
Directors chair icon > Help > About

Please contact tech support:
http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do
They may have a similar issue on file - there isn't one posted here on drive locked.

Dafydd
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jeff,

I am by no means a computer techie guy, but did have the exact same thing happen to my Dell laptop about 2 years ago. I all of a sudden couldn't get the optical drive to work right, and what's more, I then couldn't get the the tray to open.

Since the laptop was still under warranty, I called Dell support, where a guy took remote control of my computer, tried a few things, and then, as I understood it, removed and replaced the driver software?. I hadn't a clue what he was doing back then, and I am still woefully lacking in my computer'ease 2 years later. But without doing a hardware swap, he did cure the malfunctioning DVD issue and tray lock. Again, I'm not exactly sure, but I think it was some software/driver app for my optical drive that had become corrupt, that he removed and re-installed to the latest version.

Sorry, not much help. But maybe this info (with it's complete lack of details), can somehow help.

BTW that lockup happened only after I started putting mini dvd discs from a new camera, in the DVD drive. Don't know if that contributed to the drive's crash. The support Tech guy did kind of indicated that those mini disc could indeed have caused optical drive to go out of wack.

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
mderrt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 24, 2009 22:15 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Same thing has happened to me. I uninstalled then reinstalled. I worked once and now will not finish the burn process...HELP Mark
jaschlicht1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
While I still have trouble getting a DVD to burn from Powerdirector, I can render the DVD and save as a file to my hardrive. I can then use Nero to burn the image to DVD. It works everytime with no problem.