Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Joining/combining clips seamlessly in Power Director 16
DAVID PENTECOST [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Cyprus Joined: Feb 27, 2018 06:05 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I have filmed a concert. My camera has a maximum file size of 2gb and then it starts a new file automatically. If the new file starts (as it often does) in the middle of a song, how do I seamlessly join the two files together, so that I can produce a perfect video of the song, without a gap or noise at the join? David Pentecost
AlanR47
Senior Member Location: Norfolk UK Joined: Dec 08, 2017 05:01 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have filmed a concert. My camera has a maximum file size of 2gb and then it starts a new file automatically. If the new file starts (as it often does) in the middle of a song, how do I seamlessly join the two files together, so that I can produce a perfect video of the song, without a gap or noise at the join?

My dashcam does the same (a total journey will be recorded as a collection of 5 minute clips)

In my case the dashcam provides a slight overlap between clips which involves me to cut off the repeat bits - working in edit mode at maximum magnification its easy to manipulate at the frame lveel. Its a bit tricky but it works perfectly resulting in no jumps to video or audio.

I imagine this should work for you and hope there is no gap between successive clips - if there is then a cross fade may be necessary to hide the gap.

I know of no other way to stitch clips together as gaps/overlaps will vary.

Alan.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have filmed a concert. My camera has a maximum file size of 2gb and then it starts a new file automatically. If the new file starts (as it often does) in the middle of a song, how do I seamlessly join the two files together, so that I can produce a perfect video of the song, without a gap or noise at the join?

My dashcam does the same (a total journey will be recorded as a collection of 5 minute clips)

In my case the dashcam provides a slight overlap between clips which involves me to cut off the repeat bits - working in edit mode at maximum magnification its easy to manipulate at the frame lveel. Its a bit tricky but it works perfectly resulting in no jumps to video or audio.

I imagine this should work for you and hope there is no gap between successive clips - if there is then a cross fade may be necessary to hide the gap.

I know of no other way to stitch clips together as gaps/overlaps will vary.

Alan.

You can use the "free" Format Factory. Just google it to download. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
DAVID PENTECOST [Avatar]
[Post New]
Unfortunately having magnified the sound tracks to the maximum, there are no overlaps which I could use to solve the problem. If I just put the two tracks as close together as possible and the Produce the MP4 file, there is a short period of silence, and some of the sound track is missing at the point of the 'join'.

I looked up the Format Factory software, but this seems to be just for converting from one video format to another.

Does anyone else have any ideas please? David Pentecost
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Unfortunately having magnified the sound tracks to the maximum, there are no overlaps which I could use to solve the problem. If I just put the two tracks as close together as possible and the Produce the MP4 file, there is a short period of silence, and some of the sound track is missing at the point of the 'join'.

I looked up the Format Factory software, but this seems to be just for converting from one video format to another.

Does anyone else have any ideas please?

Hi David

See the attached picture

Robert
[Thumb - ffjoiner.jpg]
 Filename
ffjoiner.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
60 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
13 time(s)
Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
DAVID PENTECOST [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK - thank you. I will have a look into this video joiner feature which is part of the Format Factory software. David Pentecost
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
No idea except one that you don't want to hear: If you put the original files together and there is a gap between them, then I see no solution: The data is actually not there: It seems to be the camera.
I had a cheap action cam, it overlapped its files for about 2 seconds, but the overlap was very bad in quality. I got a new (better) one, it does not overlap but it has absolutely no break between the files (4GB), so putting the files together in PD, there is no break.
So either you stop between songs and start at the new song and hope that the song is shorter than the 2GB limit or you buy a new camera.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
AlanR47
Senior Member Location: Norfolk UK Joined: Dec 08, 2017 05:01 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Unfortunately having magnified the sound tracks to the maximum, there are no overlaps which I could use to solve the problem. If I just put the two tracks as close together as possible and the Produce the MP4 file, there is a short period of silence, and some of the sound track is missing at the point of the 'join'.

Does anyone else have any ideas please?

I looked at Format Factory and yes its a converter basically but if you look closer it does boast joining but I don't know if it could overcome the problem you have.

So when butted together theres an audio gap but the video is continuous? If playback has just an audio silent part but the picture is continuous then consider cutting off the frames that have image but no sound, this would join the sound to continuous but at the expense of a small picture jump.

The bottom line is that if you have either audio or video missing bits its not going to be easy to "invent" the missing bits and you have to decide which is more easily tolerated, a gap or jump in audio or similar for video.

Good luck.

Alan.
DAVID PENTECOST [Avatar]
[Post New]
Having examined the video tracks carefully, all the frames seem to be there, and there is no obvious visual ‘jump’.

Audio waves are also present, according to the wave trace on the sound tracks, when I enlarge them to the maximum. The problem lies at the end of the first of the two files; the video track plays OK; but for about the last tenth of a second of the sound track, even though the sound wave trace goes right up to the very end of the first file, there is silence. The same is true after butting the tracks together and producing an mp4 file.

I give up. I shall in future use Hatti’s solution, to stop recording at the end of each song and start recording again immediately afterwards. Then each song will be on a separate file, not exeeding the camera’s maximum file size.

The camera is not a very cheap one. It’s a Sony 4K AX53 model, bought a few weeks ago.

Thanks for your input guys. David Pentecost
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Quote Having examined the video tracks carefully, all the frames seem to be there, and there is no obvious visual ‘jump’.

Audio waves are also present, according to the wave trace on the sound tracks, when I enlarge them to the maximum. The problem lies at the end of the first of the two files; the video track plays OK; but for about the last tenth of a second of the sound track, even though the sound wave trace goes right up to the very end of the first file, there is silence. The same is true after butting the tracks together and producing an mp4 file.

I give up. I shall in future use Hatti’s solution, to stop recording at the end of each song and start recording again immediately afterwards. Then each song will be on a separate file, not exeeding the camera’s maximum file size.

The camera is not a very cheap one. It’s a Sony 4K AX53 model, bought a few weeks ago.

Thanks for your input guys.

According to the cameara manual you should get a 4GB file size, and you should be able to stitch them together with the software provided.
[Thumb - sony4k.jpg]
 Filename
sony4k.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
95 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
DAVID PENTECOST [Avatar]
[Post New]
There were two cameras in use at the concert. A professional used a camera which has a mximum file size of 4Gb.

I also filmed using my Sony camera. We were both filming in AVCHD mode. But my files stopped at 2Gb, even though the manual refers to 4Gb.

I have exactly the same problem joining the files from both the cameras.

Yes I have PlayMemories Home software which is supposed to join files together. I have spent uncountable hours trying to get it to work. In desperation, having failed to get the two files off the cameras to join together, I processed each file separately with PD16 to create two mp4 files, because Play Memories Home is also supposed to join MP4 files together. But it refused to join them, giving an unhelpful error message.

Next time, I shall keep stopping and starting the camera. And I shall ask the pro cameraman to do the same.

Thank you again. David Pentecost
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You can join all those avchd files easily with dos. See this post: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/40188.page . There will be no break in the video and audio with the merged files.
DAVID PENTECOST [Avatar]
[Post New]
Oh my goodness!! Back to 1981. Unbelievable. Yes, of course it should work. I will try it and let you know. David Pentecost
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
I withdraw my opinion. It should not be the camera. I have a Sony FDR-AX33, the little brother of your camcorder. I naver made a shot that exceeded 600MB, so I never had that problem. I have to try...
The camera does files with 100MBit/s. That needs a fast SD-Card. What kind of SD-Card do you have? Maybe it is not fast enough?
And did you switch of the hardware acceleration?
And did you copy/move the files from the SD-Card to a local harddrive for editing? Or did you try to edit from SD-Card?

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
DAVID PENTECOST [Avatar]
[Post New]
To Tomasc:

Using DOS to solve the problem of combining two files. I am hopeful that DOS will solve this problem but I fear that something may be wrong with my DOS syntax, which I have not used for many years. I am using Windows 7. I have two files A and B, each about 20 seconds playing time, and both in directory C:\Users\David. See attached screen dump of 3 attempts using DOS.

In all 3 cases, the destination file has the correct size, when I look at its properties: the sum of the sizes of the two files to be joined.

But when I play the destination file, it is only 20 seconds duration and plays only the first file, A.

Grateful if you can help again. Must be a syntax error I suppose. Thank you
[Thumb - temp.jpg]
 Filename
temp.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Screen shot of DOS attempts
 Filesize
697 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
David Pentecost
Hatti
[Post New]
I did just a test with my FDR-AX33 and to my surprise, my camera does not have a 4GB or 2GB limit per file. I recorded 14:06 minutes with my camera, and the resulting file had ~10GB.

1. Did you format the SD-Card in your camera? Mine is formatted in the camera and is formatted in exFat

2. Did you check the newest firmware for your camera?

Hatti
[Thumb - very big data.jpg]
 Filename
very big data.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
30 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Is the audio gap present AFTER production or only in preview? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
DAVID PENTECOST [Avatar]
[Post New]
For Barry the crab. The answer is both - before and after. I am pursuing the DOS solution mentiond easlier as a priority David Pentecost
DAVID PENTECOST [Avatar]
[Post New]
To Hatti . Thanks for your questions. I am pursuiung the DOS solution before responding to you. But I do not think the problem is related to my camera, because exactly the same problem occurs with a second (different) camera used on the same occasion. David Pentecost
DAVID PENTECOST [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you to everyone who helped solve my problem of joing two files together.

Hatti you are fortunate apparently not to have a file size limitation.

Tomasc had the right answer. Use DOS to join the two files. But work on the original files copied from the camera, as he said in one of his replies. Do not process each file first with PD16 to produce two mp4 files, and then try to use DOS on the MP4 files - this does not work.

The old simple solution is best. No complicated hard to understand modern software! Thank you so much Tomasc! : A bonus for you!

Thanks again

David David Pentecost