Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do I join 2 clips without a break in the audio?
Buckles [Avatar]
Member Location: Klamath Falls, OR Joined: Aug 26, 2014 17:04 Messages: 90 Offline
[Post New]
I shot a band playing 3 songs without pausing or stopping the camcorder. When when I placed the clips on the time line, I discovered that the last song was split. Part of the song was on one clip and the other half was on another clip. When I joined them together, I got a slight blip between them. I've tried trimming one then both. I either get audio that's not aligned with the media or a loss of frame.
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
What's the result when you stack the audio tracks, and perhaps overlap them very slightly?
Mau1wurf1977 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 14, 2012 00:55 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
It seems you got to make a choice. Personally, I believe that a skip in the audio is more noticeable then dropped frames. You could use some transition effect as well. Or use the slow down / speed up function to compensate a little.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Have you tried producing the video, then playing in an external player? Such as VLC or Windows Media Player.

It is pretty common for the audio to skip when shifting from one clip to another clip in Preview.

Usually that goes away when you Produce the video. Another method is to use third party software and combine the camera clips into one file.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
This has been discussed in the past. The camcorder must stop recording to a file before the 4GB limit is reached in Fat32. It must then start recording to a new file. That time limit is about 34 minutes at 17mbps, 22 minutes at 28mbps, etc. This is why you have the break in audio. Keep this in mind the next time you shoot with the camcorder.

This is easily fixed and the video and audio will be seamless by following the procedure below:
In Windows7 hit Start. Type cmd in the search box and hit enter. A dos box opens. Under dos:

1. Change to the folder of where your videos are located.
2. At the dos prompt type the following command: copy /b filename1.m2ts+filename2.m2ts newfile.m2ts
3. Wait several minutes and a new file named newfile.m2ts will be created in the same folder with the 2 files merged seamlessly together.

whereas:
filename1 is to be changed to that actual name and extension of your first video file.
filename2 is to be changed to that actual name and extension of your second video file in time order.
newfile.m2ts is the name and extension you choose.

Let us know if this works for you.
Buckles [Avatar]
Member Location: Klamath Falls, OR Joined: Aug 26, 2014 17:04 Messages: 90 Offline
[Post New]
I tried but it does not want to recognize the files or I'm not typing it right. I'm using windows 8.1. Attached is what I tried twice.
[Thumb - Untitled.jpg]
 Filename
Untitled.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Dos image
 Filesize
249 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
92 time(s)
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I tried but it does not want to recognize the files or I'm not typing it right. I'm using windows 8.1. Attached is what I tried twice.

If, via the CMD prompt, you are in the directory (folder) in which the files reside, it's simply...

copy file1.txt+file2.txt newfile.txt

If there's a drive letter, be sure to leave a space before the / --- as shown in tomasc's post.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Looking at your Untitled.jpg. The dos box show several errors. Libraries is specific to windows not for dos.
Trying to change to a dos directory(folder in windows) and executing a command in dos in one line is also a no-no.
Why is your files in the cyberlink\powerdirector12\12.0\output folder? They must be the original copied from your camcorder without any processing done yet.
Here is an easy way to do it: Open windows explorer. Create a folder called tmp at drive c root directory. Copy the original 2 video files to the tmp folder. Keep windows explorer open for later reference. In the tmp folder rename 09-13-2014_1423541 to filename1. Rename 09-13-2014_1423541(1) to filename2. Enlarge the Untitle.jpg image. I beleive you incorrectly typed the name of the second file in the dos box.

In dos:
1. At the dos prompt type cd \tmp and hit enter.
2. Type dir and hit enter. You should now see the 2 files copied and already renamed with the proper extensions.
3. Type copy /b filename1.m2ts+filename2.m2ts newfile.m2ts and hit enter.

After several minutes you should see newfile.m2ts that is the size and time length of the original 2 files combined. Use this newfile.m2ts in place of the original 2 files in powerdirector for editing. The video and audio will be seamless.

Good luck. Let us know if this helps.
Buckles [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did it. Thanks you for saving the day. It works perfectly. I guess I should be learning DOS again. I had to use it in 1971. It hasn't changed that much, but trying to remember it all is tough. Thanks.