Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Capture VHS with PD12
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Hey folks, I just want to explain how I am capturing VHS tapes at very high quality (for VHS).

• Install PD 12 as a 32-bit application by removing 64 bit installer. This allows PD to access 32-bit AVI capture codecs.

• Download and install desired AVI codecs, I have successfully captured analog signals using MagicYUV, Microsoft Video1, Indeo 3.2, Indeo 5.1, Alparysoft (watermark), and MJPEG (watermark). I mostly use Lagareth lossless codec as I get few drops and a decent (if large) file size.

• Capture to a seperate 7,200 rpm drive away from your OS for better performance, fewer drops.

• I am using a Hauppage USB dongle to capture.

• Having 2 good VCR players so I can choose. My main player is a Super-VHS JVC HR-S5912U, it has S-video, calibration, sharpen/soften, and stabilizer, but no Time Base Corrector.

• A near-new Philips DVP-3345V (cheapo with zero frills) using only RCA.

• Using a video switcher I can keep both machines ready to go on the same USB dongle, just press a button to choose.

• VHS tapes can be very finicky so multiple machines widen the possibility of a quality capture. Unfortunately some tapes really benefit from a TBC so I have to eventually get a better VCR with TBC inside it, or get an external TBC unit.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

EDIT: I can also capture to Divx profiles. Keep in mind DivX and Mpeg2 are 720x480. AVI and DV are 640x480.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 10. 2017 18:44

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I find it far better to use the 32 bit software that comes with the old name brand pci capture cards. Mpeg-2 has replaced those obsolete Indeo codecs. A JVC svhs with a tbc may not be what you want. Old stretched tapes that have bending at the top when viewed on a high end tv may not be corrected with the vcr built-in tbc turned on. The right capture card actually work better with those old tape. The consumer svhs machines have what they call a 3 line tbc which is not a full tbc.

You may want to purchase those old tbc cheap now. Unfortunately they don’t make 64 bit drivers for those old cards and devices that I know of. My xp machine gave out 3 years ago.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I am going to try my HV30 for capture. I have used it in the past, many years ago. There are some mentions on the internet that using a DV camera for pass-thru may work as a TBC.

Currently for TBC, the only affordable new ones are the CTB-100, which some claim have a defective chip. I bought one, it helped a little on a particularly bad tape, but the frame-drops were horrific. I wonder if I had tried to capture to a different drive I would have had fewer drops. I may try that again. DV is not the best codec either.

If I were to use MPEG2 I would bump up the bitrate to 11-15,000 but then all MPEG2 codecs are not equal, and maybe the CL version is a little lacking. Lagareth gives me a big file but few artifacts.

I fear buying any VCR on the web due to age and any with TBC are quite expensive and I wonder how much life is left in them. A rebuilt top-shelf JVC with TBC can run many hundreds of dollars, and a used external TBC-1000 can run $500.

Anyone got a decent VCR they're not using anymore? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
The expected resolution of vhs is 240 horizontal lines resolution because of the 3 Mhz bandwith. It is 4.2 Mhz for ntsc broadcast and 5 Mhz for Svhs. DV of 720 horizontal pixels beats them all and each frame is independently compressed at about a 5 to 1 ratio. 1hour of DV is 13 GB of data.

You should definitely try your HV30 for capture as you have suggested.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I have successfully captured analog signals using MagicYUV, Microsoft Video1, Indeo 3.2, Indeo 5.1, Alparysoft (watermark), and MJPEG (watermark).

EDIT: I can also capture to Divx profiles. Keep in mind DivX and Mpeg2 are 720x480. AVI and DV are 640x480.

The Intel Indeo 5 codec is not watermarked if you can find it. That is before it was sold to Ligos. It was supplied free on older versions of windows, hardware, and software.