Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PROBLEM WITH VOICE OVER: too low!
lunasiatica111 [Avatar]
Member Location: Swizterland Joined: Jul 23, 2014 16:04 Messages: 93 Offline
[Post New]
hi evrybody!

I reinstall PD14 as changed the computer and now I tryed to register a comment of the film I am editing and when wanted to lsiten it: too low! impossible to heard it!

when i register the scale of the voice was on the top (100)

if I knock on the microphone okay I can heard right the noice! but my voice not and I do as usual with same microphone , in same room...

when I knock on the microphone the line on voice over desing levels but with my voice not at all, the line is flat withut level even I speak or not! so microphone is okay!

a mystery

thanks so much
collie581 [Avatar]
Member Location: Aberdeen Scotland Joined: Oct 21, 2015 11:43 Messages: 92 Offline
[Post New]
Quote hi evrybody!

I reinstall PD14 as changed the computer and now I tryed to register a comment of the film I am editing and when wanted to lsiten it: too low! impossible to heard it!

if I knock on the microphone okay I can heard right the noice! but my voice not and I do as usual with same microphone , in same room...

when I knock on the microphone the line on voice over desing levels but with my voice not at all, the line is flat withut level even I speak or not! so microphone is okay!

a mystery

thanks so much
h

Hi I recently also changed my computer to a more modern one and found exactly the same issue. I could not get sufficient volume using the microphone that had worked perfectly before or indeed any other microphone. In the end I purchased a cheap preamp to boost the volume.

regards

nigel
lunasiatica111 [Avatar]
[Post New]
thanks so much, also me I did so many proves thsi korning and same issues: low voice! and i open audiacity program and amplify the voice and so import the files and works.

I used already this solution inather film i edited because thsi problem (it was before I change computer) and also because in PD12 it was so long before the capture arived in the voice line! i have no patience!

but what i can't really understand is why before when using another programm of editing and PD12 it worked good and suddendly stopped?

maybe something wrong but where with the amplification of the voice? this problem i got it alwasy with pd14

if I found another solution I will told you!

thanks so much

Quote hi evrybody!

a mystery

thanks so much
h

Hi I recently also changed my computer to a more modern one and found exactly the same issue. I could not get sufficient volume using the microphone that had worked perfectly before or indeed any other microphone. In the end I purchased a cheap preamp to boost the volume.

regards

nigel
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote thanks so much, also me I did so many proves thsi korning and same issues: low voice! and i open audiacity program and amplify the voice and so import the files and works.

I used already this solution inather film i edited because thsi problem (it was before I change computer) and also because in PD12 it was so long before the capture arived in the voice line! i have no patience!

but what i can't really understand is why before when using another programm of editing and PD12 it worked good and suddendly stopped?

maybe something wrong but where with the amplification of the voice? this problem i got it alwasy with pd14

if I found another solution I will told you!

thanks so much

Quote hi evrybody!

a mystery

thanks so much
h

regards

nigel

When you plug your microphones in does the Audio Manager appear. If you can find your audio manager, check that the microphone level is set to high. also, there may be a "microphone boost" setting you can set to high as well.

Also, are you upping the volume of the "voice track" to maximum in the Audio Mixing Room in PowerDirector?

I hope this helps

Robert

Edited for typos

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 04. 2017 13:10

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
lunasiatica111 [Avatar]
[Post New]
yes on voice track the level is on 100
lunasiatica111 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Collie,

can you give me name of the the pream you bought?

thanks so much
collie581 [Avatar]
Member Location: Aberdeen Scotland Joined: Oct 21, 2015 11:43 Messages: 92 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Collie,

can you give me name of the the pream you bought?

thanks so much

It is called a Tube MP. I bought it second hand on eBay. For voice overs I now record to a separate digital recorder while watching the video. I then import the media file to PD14. I find I can control the sound quality much better this way and it is not that difficult to match to the video on the timeline. If you have a digital recorder I would suggest you give it a try.

Regards

Nigel
lunasiatica111 [Avatar]
[Post New]
thanks so much!

since I have this problem I also register comments throught a program as sound recorder or with audiacity.

and I had to amplify the comments, also now I tryed with audiacity as i did for the last editing film about Iran and have to amplify because without amplify I don't heard the voice!

in an italian forum (videomakers.net) they told me I have to disintall PD12 and 14 as surely problem of the sofwares.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 05. 2017 13:34

collie581 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote thanks so much!

since I have this problem I also register comments throught a program as sound recorder or with audiacity.

and I had to amplify the comments, also now I tryed with audiacity as i did for the last editing film about Iran and have to amplify because without amplify I don't heard the voice!

in an italian forum (videomakers.net) they told me I have to disintall PD12 and 14 as surely problem of the sofwares.

What you describe is exactly what I found with my new PC. I could not get a decent level of sound from any microphone connected to the PC without my preamplifier. My microphone worked perfectly with my old PC so I eventually concluded that it something to do with the set up of the new PC. My PC had been built to order by a local computer firm. It was not a Dell or HP model. If it had been I would have complained to them. Anyway as I said earlier it is just as easy to record your comments to a separate recorder and import the audio file to your timeline. Once on your timeline you can cut it up and move it around to fit your video clips.

Regards

Nigel
lunasiatica111 [Avatar]
[Post New]
alos my computer has been build and powerful only for editing film.

the problem is not to find the solition by recording comment in a program ad audiacity or sound pad... this is also easy, the problem is also why we have to amplifiy the files from the pream to get the good level?

as me when i register with audiacity I ahve to amplify if not same problem on the PD14 the voice elvel is loow

and today i gt an idea as on a other lap top I have the light version PD12 i tryed to edit a small film and register direct with the voice over and... guess...my voice had the good level!! so all working perfect with the microphone of the lap top!!!

so surely we have a problem even our computer ar e new and perfect condition with software or /and the audio card?

what I wanted to do if to take /copy the capture on PD12 light version I did and copy in the new PC, but it's impossible to copy on desktop from PD program a capture with voice over!! because if was possible I could copy on the new poject in PD14 and see if the level was same or not than PD12 light version on laptop.

I am happy even i regret for you that also you have thsi problem because when you talk to people seem you are the only in the world...

what we can also do to maybe uderstand from where arrives the problem is to register with the sound register on the computer, I could do that with the old PC before to renew it and can't remember how was the result but in the new one a window appears and it's written: can't find the sound register!

because I think if the sound register on the PC is not good we can understand the problem is from the audio card (someone told me that long time ago)

but we have to think that the rpoblem can be the audio card + something else

it's a nightmare!
collie581 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote alos my computer has been build and powerful only for editing film.

the problem is not to find the solition by recording comment in a program ad audiacity or sound pad... this is also easy, the problem is also why we have to amplifiy the files from the pream to get the good level?

as me when i register with audiacity I ahve to amplify if not same problem on the PD14 the voice elvel is loow

and today i gt an idea as on a other lap top I have the light version PD12 i tryed to edit a small film and register direct with the voice over and... guess...my voice had the good level!! so all working perfect with the microphone of the lap top!!!

so surely we have a problem even our computer ar e new and perfect condition with software or /and the audio card?

what I wanted to do if to take /copy the capture on PD12 light version I did and copy in the new PC, but it's impossible to copy on desktop from PD program a capture with voice over!! because if was possible I could copy on the new poject in PD14 and see if the level was same or not than PD12 light version on laptop.

I am happy even i regret for you that also you have thsi problem because when you talk to people seem you are the only in the world...

what we can also do to maybe uderstand from where arrives the problem is to register with the sound register on the computer, I could do that with the old PC before to renew it and can't remember how was the result but in the new one a window appears and it's written: can't find the sound register!

because I think if the sound register on the PC is not good we can understand the problem is from the audio card (someone told me that long time ago)

but we have to think that the rpoblem can be the audio card + something else

it's a nightmare!

You are correct. I am sure it is a problem caused by our computer build. Not by the PD14 software. I spent many hours searching for a solution but gave up and settled for a work round. I could take it to a computer engineer to look at but this would cost £££ I am not prepared to spend.
lunasiatica111 [Avatar]
[Post New]
if I found what it is and can repair I will tell you as maybe can be something stupid and cheap??!!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
See this post: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/50108.page#post_box_263490 . You could supply a DxDiag.txt for other users to look at. I believe that the shadowman is right that there is a microphone boost that you overlooked in the record setup. Analog Device and Realtek chipsets have them. So do the sound card from Soundblaster. You may only need to update the driver.

Look on the internet. You can build your own mic preamp for a few dollars if you are tech savy like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTcX3VNOjms . It may cost about $5 in parts.
lunasiatica111 [Avatar]
[Post New]
thanks so much, will try!

Quote See this post: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/50108.page#post_box_263490 . You could supply a DxDiag.txt for other users to look at. I believe that the shadowman is right that there is a microphone boost that you overlooked in the record setup. Analog Device and Realtek chipsets have them. So do the sound card from Soundblaster. You may only need to update the driver.

Look on the internet. You can build your own mic preamp for a few dollars if you are tech savy like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTcX3VNOjms . It may cost about $5 in parts.
lunasiatica111 [Avatar]
[Post New]
HI COLLIE!!!!!

you will never beleive it! today arrived the man to fiy the PC and try to understand why low sound in output with PD14.

well we tryed, we thought, he looked at PD14 and can't really find something crashed, microphone was okay and all i had too, rivers also for microphone, jsut a lille old (2009) but this no problem in any case, all was running weel, connected...

so he thought something about levels... so look at that and on the mixer audio (the icone you can see on the left down of the screen of the PC) he increase untill the button (100) (when you clik on this icone appears a window MIXER where you can change different items, look for levels)and we tryed. now levels are around 80 and seems good!

first wasn't okay too low (but I spoke far from the microphone), so we tryrd with another editing program (Vegas Pro 14) couldn't remember I had this program and never opened. so in few minuts we understood how to register and tryed and... the volume of the my voice was okay!!

and so we tryed in PD14 immediately and... it was okay!! as when used PD12

so just try to see also you if your levels inside the computer aren't too low. surely when using old PC I without knowing and udersting it I touch thoses levels and the problem started and when he make the new one didn't look at that!

so no need pream... no need to increase... just speak!

by the fact when you open the voice over room you can make some change, by default PD give you 8000KHZ 8 bit Mono 7KB/sec

try to register with this profile: 44100KHZ 16 bit, stereo, 172KB/sec and you will heard a difference, really better.

i just hope that the nightmare is finished!!!!!

thnaks to everybody for the kindness
collie581 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote HI COLLIE!!!!!

you will never beleive it! today arrived the man to fiy the PC and try to understand why low sound in output with PD14.

well we tryed, we thought, he looked at PD14 and can't really find something crashed, microphone was okay and all i had too, rivers also for microphone, jsut a lille old (2009) but this no problem in any case, all was running weel, connected...

so he thought something about levels... so look at that and on the mixer audio (the icone you can see on the left down of the screen of the PC) he increase untill the button (100) (when you clik on this icone appears a window MIXER where you can change different items, look for levels)and we tryed. now levels are around 80 and seems good!

first wasn't okay too low (but I spoke far from the microphone), so we tryrd with another editing program (Vegas Pro 14) couldn't remember I had this program and never opened. so in few minuts we understood how to register and tryed and... the volume of the my voice was okay!!

and so we tryed in PD14 immediately and... it was okay!! as when used PD12

so just try to see also you if your levels inside the computer aren't too low. surely when using old PC I without knowing and udersting it I touch thoses levels and the problem started and when he make the new one didn't look at that!

so no need pream... no need to increase... just speak!

by the fact when you open the voice over room you can make some change, by default PD give you 8000KHZ 8 bit Mono 7KB/sec

try to register with this profile: 44100KHZ 16 bit, stereo, 172KB/sec and you will heard a difference, really better.

i just hope that the nightmare is finished!!!!!

thnaks to everybody for the kindness

Thanks for your feedback. But unfortunately I have checked all input levels and they are set at 100 percent. This includes when boost is set to maximum. As I said before I am sure it is my system as input levels are too low in all applications.

Regards

Nigel
lunasiatica111 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I thought was same as anytime , with my low kwnoledge in data and program, and alos afraid to do something wrong, i tryed to fix, to look, to change... and also think all was 100 for elvels, but seems wasn't like that!!

in any case now I'll try to register comments and make an out ut to se the film in TV and in different places, as our film club, as sound is always different, maybe at home is okay and go to a freind and have diferent devices and sound is not so okay...

just hope it'll working.... as in any case is not a problem to rgister trought any pream or in a registration studio or audiacity... but it's also easy direct in the program to have idea when making editing what you are doing.

regards

Thanks for your feedback. But unfortunately I have checked all input levels and they are set at 100 percent. This includes when boost is set to maximum. As I said before I am sure it is my system as input levels are too low in all applications.

Regards

Nigel
lunasiatica111 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi COLLIE!

did you think to upgrade the driver of your microphone??????

as this morning when wanted to register suddendly again the problem, sometimes it was okay and sometimes not... and suddendly we thought about drivers, as we know the micriphone have 9 years and after having upgrade the drivers now ... we hope... all is okay!

we could think about before instead to waste time and became angry!

hope this will help