Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector crashes/stops responding after exit from Multicam Designer
njharvey [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 03, 2012 04:08 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
There's a problem with PD 15 and 14 crashing after exiting from Multicam Designer. It's especially irritating because you can't save in Multicam Designer and PD doesn't save a temp file. I've lost many hours of work this way.

It appears to be caused primarily by attempting to exit Multicam Designer without first hitting the 'stop' button, .e.i. if you hit pause and then absent mindedly exit, it will crash. Has anyone else experienced this and reported it?

I reported it the problem a year ago, but no sign of a fix - they seem to be focused on adding uneccessary new features rather than developing stable, reliable products.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

No-one else has jumped in so....

Just on a quick test I can't replicate your issue, can you give us more information as to the exact steps you take to cause the crash and the file types you are using?

Cheers

Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
TeeMan1 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Nov 03, 2014 01:41 Messages: 91 Offline
[Post New]
Quote There's a problem with PD 15 and 14 crashing after exiting from Multicam Designer. It's especially irritating because you can't save in Multicam Designer and PD doesn't save a temp file. I've lost many hours of work this way.

It appears to be caused primarily by attempting to exit Multicam Designer without first hitting the 'stop' button, .e.i. if you hit pause and then absent mindedly exit, it will crash. Has anyone else experienced this and reported it?

I reported it the problem a year ago, but no sign of a fix - they seem to be focused on adding uneccessary new features rather than developing stable, reliable products.

I use MultiCam Designer a lot and have never encountered PD 15 crashing upon exit from MCD. What I have experienced (which is a totally different subject) is MCD not syncing audio properly.

TeeMan1

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 21. 2017 14:27

TeeMan
njharvey [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 03, 2012 04:08 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Tried everything, including a complete reinstall of PD and a refresh of WIndows 10 operating system. In the end, I did a bare metal re-install of Windows. Hey presto - problem gone.

(1st Oct 2017) I spoke too soon! After re-installing my other applications, the problem returned. Appears to be caused by a conflict with other installed software. Just don't have the time to keep investigating. If only Premiere Pro was a little cheaper!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 01. 2017 14:45

WBIG.Tv [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 16, 2013 16:45 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote There's a problem with PD 15 and 14 crashing after exiting from Multicam Designer. It's especially irritating because you can't save in Multicam Designer and PD doesn't save a temp file. I've lost many hours of work this way.

I've been having this same exact crash issue for several versions. Reason enough to give up on PD soon if not resolved. I'll try hitting the Stop Button - thanks for the suggestion.
Streetkid Industries
Newbie Location: Perth, Western Australia Joined: Aug 13, 2017 02:36 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Mine has been crashing a minimum seven times a day and I haven't even been using the Multicam. I get it just from simply editing so I've had to put the automatic save option on for every 2 minutes and try and manually remember to save every other time in between. It's very fustrating but it's hard to switch to another video editing software when you have to relearn everything all over again!
Charles Paxton
Newbie Location: Louisiana Joined: Sep 12, 2017 20:40 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Did you post a ticket with tech support about this? Maybe they can help.
Steve Mitchell [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 09, 2016 21:21 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I had this happen to me about a week ago. Lost literally a day of work as you cannot save during an edit. First time it has happened to me but it was not pleasant.

Any suggestions on workflow so that you can mitigate this risk?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I had this happen to me about a week ago. Lost literally a day of work as you cannot save during an edit. First time it has happened to me but it was not pleasant.

Any suggestions on workflow so that you can mitigate this risk?

There are two ways to reduce the risk of losing your work when working in the MultiCam Designer:

1. Whenever you've finished a section, exit the MCD and save the project. You can then re-enter the MCD and continue working. See this post for more details.

2. Make sure that PD's auto save feature is enabled, so that if anything happens and it's been a while since you last saved the project, PD will be able to recover most (or even all) of your unsaved edits. Note that each time the autosave occurs, PD slows down while it saves the project to the disk, and if you have the time set to every 2 minutes or so, it might impact your editing experience. I'd recommend setting the timeout to the highest number of minutes you'd want to have to redo any lost work. You may also want to change the save directory to someplace more accessable. Both settings are on this screen:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 16. 2019 11:51