Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Crossfade not always available
[Post New]
I've read back in the past forum messages regarding crossfading, and did not see this mentioned.

Sometimes I can crossfade images, sometimes not.

I normally use Alt-Drop to crossfade two adjacent images on the same track. Works fine. Sometimes. Then later in the same Project, I try to crossfade other images, but I cannot. The images simply do not crossfade. I've tried to determine what is the difference, but don't see it.

There is probably something obvious to do, but not so far to me.

As I said, I do normally hold down the Alt key when trying to crossfade. But when I do not, the dropdown menu sometimes shows the crossfade function, sometimes not, when I drop one image partially over another. That would be the same images where Alt-Drop sometimes works, sometimes not.

Thanks much,

Clark

WartHawg75 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 19, 2015 21:33 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
I have had similar experiences. The last editing software I used was Sony Vegas, and you could always crossfade no matter what. From my experience with PD, the crossfades have to be setup a certain way. It seems like you can only crossfade one side of a clip at a time. For me, I cannot drop a clip into a blank space in between two other clips and get it to crossfade on both sides. I could do this in Vegas. For PD, I have to move clips out of the way, so that the clip I want to insert have enough room to be dropped on the timeline without interference. Then, I can crossfade it into the clip on the left, and then I can start moving the clips on the right side over to be crossfaded. It drives me nuts. I feel like I have to be missing something as well.
[Post New]
Quote: I've read back in the past forum messages regarding crossfading, and did not see this mentioned.

Sometimes I can crossfade images, sometimes not.

I normally use Alt-Drop to crossfade two adjacent images on the same track. Works fine. Sometimes. Then later in the same Project, I try to crossfade other images, but I cannot. The images simply do not crossfade. I've tried to determine what is the difference, but don't see it.

One possible cause that prevents the transition to apply.

There is a gap between two clips, can be minimal and needs to expand the timeline to view.

Solution, eliminating the gap.

Make sure the clip shows how disconnected Video audio.

If yes is a bug that PD was corrigdo but still insists on appearing, it disables derramentas editing.

I can not confirm now as my PD13, open 10 projects and shows everything perfect.

WartHawg75
Para PD, eu tenho que mover clips para fora do caminho, para que o clipe eu quero inserir ter espaço suficiente para ser lançada sobre a linha do tempo, sem interferências. Então, eu posso crossfade-lo para o clipe do lado esquerdo, e então eu posso começar a mover os clipes do lado direito sobre a serem crossfaded. Isso me deixa doida. Eu sinto que eu tenho que estar faltando alguma coisa também.

For this case use the Fade transition that does the same and you can choose between Cross or Overlap

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 01. 2015 14:01

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
[Post New]
PlaySound and WartHawg75,

Thanks for the replies.

I really don't think I have a clip gap, but I'll double-check. That's one of the things I did check when two adjacent images would not crossfade.

Also, I've now read a good bit more, watched a couple of tutorial videos, and now approach the problem differently.

This is a good video about transitions, directly about crossfades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhmUYIBcx1I

And borgus1 made a very good post about Crossfades here...

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/30786.page#168970

I now use his technique for many of my crossfades. So, I am not now using the Drop or Alt-Drop technique as much. The built-in "fade" transition is more reliable, more repeatable, and more exact.

I appreciate all the help.

Clark

PatsyP [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 06, 2015 13:17 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I expanded out considerably and found a tiny sliver of frame and I deleted and crossfade worked fine.
[Post New]
Quote I expanded out considerably and found a tiny sliver of frame and I deleted and crossfade worked fine.

Yeah, even though I know what the problem is, and how to fix it, I still occasionally get those slivers. I notice them when re-playing the video. "What was that ?"

And then I have to really expand the view to find that sliver.

I do wish there were more of an automatic way to remove slivers, or to prevent them. And an automatic way to "snug up" ALL clips.

Clark
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I do wish there were more of an automatic way to remove slivers, or to prevent them. And an automatic way to "snug up" ALL clips.

In pref > Editing there is a "Enable snap to clips in timeline" that tends to help "snug up" as you desire. Usually if the sliver is going to occur from not positioning clips carefully and overlapping, PD warns with a contextual box on how to handle. However, if user splits clips and leaves small slivers, that's another issue.

Jeff
[Post New]

In pref > Editing there is a "Enable snap to clips in timeline" that tends to help "snug up" as you desire. Usually if the sliver is going to occur from not positioning clips carefully and overlapping, PD warns with a contextual box on how to handle. However, if user splits clips and leaves small slivers, that's another issue.

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks... I do have "Enable snap to clips in timeline" set.

But I still get occasional unknown overlaps which split out a sliver.

The "snug-up" I requested would be to eliminate all gaps in the timeline, which may exist after some significant editing.

Clark
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
It is not automatic, but you can remove gaps by right-clicking on a space and choose to remove gaps on all tracks. If you have a big project I would recommend making a backup copy before you start as this may not always give you the results you were expecting. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
[Post New]
Quote It is not automatic, but you can remove gaps by right-clicking on a space and choose to remove gaps on all tracks. If you have a big project I would recommend making a backup copy before you start as this may not always give you the results you were expecting.

Sorry, but I do NOT see any option to remove all gaps by right-clicking.

Clark
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I think it is better said remove gap and move all clips… It only works on 1 gap and not the others. If the gap is small say 1 frame then it is better to remove it by expanding the timeline ruler like you have been doing.
[Post New]
Quote I think it is better said remove gap and move all clips… It only works on 1 gap and not the others. If the gap is small say 1 frame then it is better to remove it by expanding the timeline ruler like you have been doing.

OK, that makes sense. It does not work on ALL gaps, but just the one. I was hoping for a command to remove ALL gaps.

Thanks for the reply.

Clark