Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
The right PC for PD12!?
Andres.R
Senior Member Location: Tartu, Estonia Joined: Dec 31, 2009 02:26 Messages: 263 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
4 years I have used PD9 and now I'd like to replace it to PD12 Ultimate. Unfortunately it means also for me replacing my PC...
Computer store recommending me such PC:
Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
Processor: Intel Core i5-4670 3,4G/6M
Memory: DDR3 2x8GB 1600C10 Kingst. Blu
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43 s. 1150 ATX
Graphic card: 512MB Club3D 9600GT Green
Hard disk: 1TB (for Windows) + 500GB (for PD12 and edited video files)
Tech. spec. of PD12: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultimate/spec_en_EU.html
What Editors with more experiences thinking about such choice? Is it OK or have you better replacements?
Happy Holidays! PowerDirector 17. Windows 10
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770 (8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz); Hard Disk: SSD 250Gb + SSD 500GB.

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AndresRootsi
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andres, nice to see you!

As you very well know, guys here will have many and different opinions of systems/rigs.
To me, everything regarding systems - second to meet the requirements - depends on
what I/we are producing, and to what purpose.
(I do not need a Jaguar to take me to work, a VW will do )

This is what I purchased this autumn, basically for CL/PD -
but I have developed a fondness for this laptop.....

http://www.komplett.no/asus-g750jx-173-full-hd/795049

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 27. 2013 06:05

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
Andres.R
Senior Member Location: Tartu, Estonia Joined: Dec 31, 2009 02:26 Messages: 263 Offline
[Post New]
hey Nina, its nice to see you too!
Yes, I prefere VW too
I check your link.
Only thing I forgot to write is, I'm going to edit AVCHD .MTS files....
PowerDirector 17. Windows 10
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770 (8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz); Hard Disk: SSD 250Gb + SSD 500GB.

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
What is your budget? What else do you want to do with the computer? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Andres.R
[Post New]
Quote: What is your budget? What else do you want to do with the computer?

Hi Stevek,
Budget is not locked yet, as Nina wrote, for driving is VW very good car, doesnt need to be Bentley only
mostly I want to edit AVCHD video files with PD12. + emails, youtube etc but those actions doesnt need very powerful PC...
Camcorder I have: http://www.sony.lv/product/cam-high-definition-on-memory-stick/hdr-cx360ve/technical-specifications#tab
Video files: please find Mediainfo info from Attach
Now I have PD9, but unfortunately I cleaned my PC without coping files and results is: I have my product key without PD I have written to CL Customer support, but I have my own doubts any luck with them....
 Filename
mediainfo.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Video file info
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
267 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 27. 2013 08:13

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
The only thing I would have a question about is the video card. I think you can do better with something else that is perhaps a little older, has more onboard memory and less pricy but still gives you excellent performance.

I have a 560ti and it works well. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
The 9600GT was released 2008 and is a discontinued item. There are many good cards nvidia and ATI with at least 1GB RAM for under $150US.

However, the i5-4670 has the Intel HD4600 GPU on-board which may be sufficient for your needs. PD can use Quick Sync. I didn't check out that MSI mobo, but Z87 boards should have an HDMI port for the on-board GPU.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Dec 27. 2013 13:14

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
Andres.R
[Post New]
Hi Nina, GGRussell and Stever,
thnak you very much for your help! I will check all those possibilities you talked about!

Andres.R
[Post New]
Hello, very last question
I'm going to buy also a 120G SSD disk for Windows, will be size 120G ok?
And how to manage with PD12 and the rest of Program Files, what to keep on regular HDD?
My final choice would be:
Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
Memory: DDR3 2x8GB 1600C10 Kingst. Blu
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43 s. 1150 ATX
Hard disk: 1TB (for Windows) + 500GB (for PD12 and video files)...
Thanks for replying

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 02. 2014 06:37

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I would recommend a 240-256 GB SSD. 120 GB is a little small. Powerdirector recommends 60 to 100 GB of free space on the OS drive.
For editing AVCHD high definitions files, which MTS files are.

PD 12 System Requirements and recommendations:
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultra/spec_en_US.html

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
If you go with 120GB SSD, I would recommend moving the Window's Libraries to regular hard drive. Most programs will save files in My Docs, My Pics, My Music or My Videos.

Easy to move in Win8
open This PC
First create the folder where you want to move like D:\Documents
RIGHT click on a library (My Docs for example)
Select Properties
Click Location Tab
Click Find Target and choose the folder you created above
Click MOVE
Windows will ask to move all the existing files in My Docs to the new location. Select YES

That's it and then all new files will go to the new location.
Do this for My Music, My Pics and My Video

The default location is on drive C:.
[Thumb - library.jpg]
 Filename
library.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
35 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
93 time(s)
Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
Andres.R
[Post New]
Thanks, Carl, I changed SSD to 240Gb.
GGRussel, thanks you too! Next Friday I should have already PC with more power and I definitely do as you recommended.
Nice starting weekend! PowerDirector 17. Windows 10

BillyR
Senior Member Location: Southeast US Joined: Jun 19, 2013 14:33 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
I'm a little late to this party, but you may want to consider an i7. Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit | Intel(R) XEON(R) CPU E3-1505M v5 @2.80 GHz
RAM: 32 GB
Windows Experience Index 7.5
Andres.R
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:
I'm a little late to this party, but you may want to consider an i7.

Hi, yes, I considered it too, but finally stayd on i5
In stores they told me, that its a small difference between i5 and i7, not such effect for this money...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 02. 2014 14:36

[Post New]
Hi.
I hope you not find my question off topic. I read Your thread about what PC you should choose. I wish you good luck, Andres.
My challenge is the oposite:
I have a PC but wonder if I have correct specifications to upgrade from PowerDirector 11 PowerDirector 12.
I am not good at understanding spesifications. I have had some trouble for example around rendering in PD 11, and the program did crash a few times in the beginning, but I followed steps in the forums, and I can live with it now, but the PD11 is now discontinued, and maybe the PD12 is better for me. It surtanly has some futures that I'd love, e.g. the multiple cam future.
Here's what I possibly on my PC:

What do you think?

Thank you, sincerely, Bjørn (Norway)

Component Details intermediate result Result
Processor Intel ( R) Core ( TM ) i7 - 2670QM CPU@2.20GHz 7.4 5.8
Memory (RAM ) 8.00 GB 7.6
Graphics Intel ( R) HD Graphics Family 5.8
Games Graphics 1696 Total available video memory (MB ) 6.7
Primary hard disk 97GB free ( 271GB Total) 5.9

Windows 7 Home Premium

System
-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Manufacturer SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD. , LTD.
Model RF511/RF411/RF711
Total system memory 8.00 GB RAM
System type 64- bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4

Storage
-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Total size of hard disk (s ) 675 GB
Disk partition (C) 97 GB Free ( 271 GB total)
Disk partition (D) 363 GB Free (404 GB total)
Media drive (E) CD / DVD

Graphics

Video Type Intel ( R) HD Graphics Family
Total available video memory 1696 MB
Dedicated Video Memory 64 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1632 MB
Driver Version 9.18.13.697 video card
Resolution on the primary display 1366x768
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network cards Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Network Broadcom 802.11n Network
Network adapters Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Network Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

Notes

Assessment of game graphics are based on the primary graphics card. If the system is connected or more graphics cards , some applications exploit increased performance.
Caution : Based on the results of WinSAT Disk assessment , system driver have lower response times for certain workloads. Performance results will depend on the specific applications used and available memory . If you are satisfied with the experience , it is not necessary to do anything.
Andres.R
[Post New]
Hello Bjørn, greetings to Norway!
yesterday I ordered this i7 processor too, BillyR convinced me finally
but unfortunatelly I'm not so strong in all of this and thats why cant give you any advise as much as I'd like to...
Here's in topic is Nina from Norway (and you are too), ask from her
Andres PowerDirector 17. Windows 10

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi, yes, I considered it too, but finally stayd on i5
In stores they told me, that its a small difference between i5 and i7, not such effect for this money...

For many editing aspects, user experience and CPU encoding with PD pretty much scales with processor performance so buy what you can afford. Claiming a i5 and i7 difference is small, depends on what scale, it's about 33% faster and 33% more costly. Plenty of benchmarks out there, I'd view them to verify what stores or others say.

Comparing similar model i5 and i7. http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=1933&cmp[]=1907

Jeff
[Post New]
Quote:

Hei, Nina.
Andres recommended that I ask you. Do you have any thoughts on my specifications (please see my longer post above).
Would you recommend that I just as well stay on PD11, or should I spend the few hundred kroner it costs, and upgrade to PD12, given the PC I have, and the struggle I've had on PD11?
Hilsen Bjørn
BillyR
Senior Member Location: Southeast US Joined: Jun 19, 2013 14:33 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: yesterday I ordered this i7 processor too, BillyR convinced me finally
Based on my non-expert opinion and JL_JL's considerably more informed one, I'd say you made a wise choice. It may not make much difference with the old 30 min. TV shows that comprise most of my work with this program, but on the occasions when I want to deal with full HD files from my camcorder 33% makes quite a bit of difference. For instance, according to the benchmarks I've see, a file that would take an i5 9 hours to render would only take 6 hrs. with a comparable i7.
Quote: Would you recommend that I just as well stay on PD11, or should I spend the few hundred kroner it costs, and upgrade to PD12, given the PC I have, and the struggle I've had on PD11?
Bjorn:
I'm not Nina, but I had PD11 on my previous computer and upgraded to PD12. The only difference I saw was slightly better performance with v12 on the same machine! I had an i7 950 @ 3.07 GHz with a GE Force 660 GPU. Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit | Intel(R) XEON(R) CPU E3-1505M v5 @2.80 GHz
RAM: 32 GB
Windows Experience Index 7.5
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]

Hei Bjørn,

Andres og jeg har kjent hverandre lenge, utvekslet en god del.

I can only tell you what I would do, Bjørn.
Jeff gave a healthy advice I often miss reading here; “buy what you can afford”.
I will add: buy what you need your computer to do.
So much depends on what you are editing – to what purpose, what your camera records.
It is kind of simple, really; heavier load means stronger PC , in every way.
A program (editor) can give you all kinds of options, but the computer carries the load.

It would have been nice to have a Mercedes, but my Suzuki sure takes me
all the places I need to or want to go. For now, I would have stayed with PD11.
CyberLink has a new release almost yearly. By the time PD 13 or 14 is released, you have maybe
purchased a stronger computer. If #11 does the work you need it to do, I doubt you will be
more happy with #12. As for MultiCam; I’m guessing it will be more developed in PD13.

(Send meg et PM hvis du lurer på mer)

Nina

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com