Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 11 cannot play Bluray discs
erpitt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 24, 2013 19:10 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Just yesterday, I received notification to update PDVD11 to play disc content. I did. No I cannot play blurays. It only plays dvd's. When it autoruns or selects location, I get the following notification...

"cyberlink powerdvd cannot access the storage device. select another device when playback stops."

Then it pulls up the dvd region code selector (which says I have 0 times remaining) and the only option is to close it. Very frustrating. Ive searched online and see many exact messages and circumstances, but I have not found a solution. The ones suggested I will list below.

1. Update ODD firmaware - Updated (no change)
2. Uninstall/reinstall PDVD11 Ultra from cd, then update (no change)
3. Reinstall Windows (get the same message. Would have thought this would work)
4. Right click on PDVD11 exe to Run As Adminstrator (no change)
4. Downgraded ODD firmware (no change)
5. Update ODD back to current (no change)
6. Searched for PDVD11 "Cleaner Tool" but cant find it

These are original discs that worked up until yesterday. Someone mentioned something about Virtual Drive Software sometimes the culprit. I wouldnt know.

System Specs:
-Windows 7 Pro 64bit
-Samsung ODD SH-B123L (model TSSTcorpDVDWBD SH-123L / firmware ver. SB04)
-4gb
-PowerDVD 11 Utlra (11.0.3318.57)
TheDudeiswatching [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 19, 2010 00:20 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
Did you just get new windows update patches? I think M-soft broke something.
erpitt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 24, 2013 19:10 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, when I reloaded Windows. Had 102 updates.
TheDudeiswatching [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 19, 2010 00:20 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
Based on the other threads here, there are a dozen or so of us with this problem right now... and that is only the users that come to the board. My guess is the windows update from last week broke something. I am going to uninstall P DVD and re-install bu only up to the March 2012 patch, not the October one. One user got that to work.
carlolsen [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 01, 2012 23:13 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
This problem is not just with PDVD11.

I have the same problem with PDVD12 Ultra and despite trying evrything I can think of I cannot fix it and am now awaiting a response from Cyberlink Customer Service.

Everything was fine until about a week ago when I got the message "PowerDVD cannot access the storage device" when trying to play a blu-ray iso. I'm also receiving the message "PowerDVD does not support the playback of this media format" which is followed by "PowerDVD could not launch because some of the components appear to be corrupted" and I advised me to uninstall and reinstall which meant also reinstalling PDVD11 as my PDVD12 was an upgrade version.

Reinstalling didn't fix it, nor did System restore. In fact I then encountered another problem as the Blu-Ray region changes counter had reset itself to "0" even though I have never used any of the permitted 5 changes.

To add insult to injury, having uninstalled and reinstalled several times, following Cyberlink's instructions and activating it each time, I was greeted with the message "Activation amount for this key has exceeded...etc" and I can no longer use it at all now.

What a farce, compounded by the fact that Cyberlink Technical Support seems unable or unwilling to offer any solution, 5 days after I reported the problem.

Has anyone managed to find a reliable fix for this problem?
carlolsen [Avatar]
[Post New]
I should have added that I have tried to revert to PDVD11 while Cyberlink sorts it out and although activation is not a problem, I'm still experiencing the other problems and the same error messages..so it seems to have affected all PDVD versions.
I cannot play Blu-Ray or DVD ISOs with any version of PowerDVD.
Fortunately, I also have TotalMediaTheatre5 installed on my PC and this is working PERFECTLY. (Take note Cyberlink!)
carlolsen [Avatar]
[Post New]
TheDudeiswatching may be right.
Before Cyberlink de-activated my version of PDVD12 I tried installing it on a laptop which hadn't had any recent Windows updates..and it worked.
Unfortunately I then uninstalled it as I continued to work on fixing my desktop pc version so now I don't have PDVD working on either of my pcs.
So this may point the finger at Microsoft as the cause of the problem.
Whatever the cause, I think Cyberlink needs to get their act together and stop keeping its customers in the dark.
carlolsen [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've managed to fix the problem with a simple workaround.

Install PowerDVD 12 version (or patch) 1618 from around Feb 2012. Your current version will be uninstalled..do not save personal settings when prompted.
Open PDVD, activate and then click on the update arrow..top left corner.
Install the latest update.
Should now be OK.

I believe a Microsoft platform update a week or so ago "broke" PowerDVD12.
I found that I had to go right back to early 2012..the August version didn't fix the problem.

I experienced the same problem with PDVD11 too so maybe reverting to an early 2012 version will fix that too.

Let me know if it works.
Cheers,
Carl

Daniel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 12, 2012 21:15 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I'm suffering exactly the same problem with PowerDVD 11, and have raised a support ticket to inquire when a fix will be made available for PowerDVD 11 users, since from the following link below it looks like there is already an update for PowerDVD 12 users:

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=15666&prodId=1&prodVerId=-1
Howling Murf [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 25, 2011 23:13 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Good eye there Daniel,

If Cyberlink is watching this thread, could you please come through with a patch for us PowerDvD 11 people,
I really hope this won't be used to try and squeeze a forced upgrade out of us....
Daniel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 12, 2012 21:15 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
In the meantime, I've found what others have already posted in another thread (http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/27179.page) to be true - downgrading to v2608 allows playback to work once again.

So until PowerDVD 11 is updated, uninstalling and updating to 2608 is your best bet.
Dakkith [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 03, 2013 07:35 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Chalk another one up with this problem. Windows 7 x64.
Kirknelson [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 03, 2013 08:01 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Contracted this issue yesterday. Very frustrating as all the people, pizza and beer was in place in the theater. Press play and...son-of-a.

Very suprising as it all worked fine on Friday.

I will definitely not be updating to PowerDVD12. Had a very similar experience with PowerDVD9 where cyberlink refused to support the "new" Blu-ray copy protection and forced an upgrade to PowerDVD11. If cyberlink doesn't provide a fix for PDVD11 users they will certainly lose me as a customer.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 03. 2013 08:11

Dakkith [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 03, 2013 07:35 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I will definitely not be updating to PowerDVD12. Had a very similar experience with PowerDVD9 where cyberlink refused to support the "new" Blu-ray copy protection and forced an upgrade to PowerDVD11. If cyberlink doesn't provide a fix for PDVD11 users they will certainly lose me as a customer.

Seconded.

I was considering upgrading to version 12, but if this is the level of support we can expect for versions we've paid good money for then there's no way they're getting any more of it.
Howling Murf [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 25, 2011 23:13 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
You know, it's the type of business approach that I believe you could bring a lawsuit about.

These are blurays, they sell software that is proclaimed to play BluRays, they can't hold specific security code that is a part of the overall format as an upgrade requirement, i think it is a form of bait and switching.

And if they have a patch for version 12 which has been out for certain days, not responding to tickets for 11 users it is pretty clear what they are doing.
Jonathan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 04, 2013 11:57 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
It's the region code change counter in powerdvd11 and 12. Reverting to the previous update fixes it. But they need to come up with a permanent solution. It wasn't the windows platform update, I rolled back to two weeks prior and the problem persisted.

I think it has something to do with their powerdvd12 update, why that would affect 11 is a little concerning.
Noguffay [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 28, 2011 19:34 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
My Solution:

Uninstalled PowerDVD 11

Discontinue to use PowerDVD.

Looking for New software.
Kirknelson [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 03, 2013 08:01 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
http://mpc-hc.org/

Opensource = Free.

Advanced set-up instructions here for video/audio-philes.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1357375/advanced-mpc-hc-setup-guide

Noguffay [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 28, 2011 19:34 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
Thx Kirknelson,

Enoughs enough right?

Goodby Cyberlink. You've received enough of my money.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
please get in contact with our technical support team:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/27357.page

There is a workaround solution available

Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan