Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Menus
Oldshep [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 26, 2012 22:29 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
I have raised this b4 but I am still having a problem with the PD Menus systems.

I have followed to the best of my understanding the advice given and re-read the manual and still I cannot get the DVD to play as I want. Am I doing something wrong?

The attached screen captures file should show you what I have done. If I select the Play button then as expected the video plays through all 4 chapters. However when I take the scenes options and then selected any one of the chapters once it reaches the end of the chapter it just continues playing through any following chapters and does not return to the menu as I want. I am still confused as to why PD11 has what seems to me as a two tier menu concept. Why not just a single menu that has the 4 chapter buttons on it and select to play one and return to loop around the menu until next selection as in other video editing software.
 Filename
menu captures.doc
[Disk]
 Description
Screen Captures of menus
 Filesize
625 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
231 time(s)
Oldshep
W7-64
PD11 Deluxe 11.0.0.2110
SR VDE120702-02
A Virus - Bit Defender Plus 2012
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
You are confusing chapters with titles for CL terminology. The menu option setting you refer to controls what happens after a "Title" is played, not a chapter. Chapters are always played consecutively. "Titles" are created by importing more than 1 pds project into the "Create Disc" module.

You can do what you want, play a selected scene and return to the main menu by having each scene a seperate pds project, not simply chapters in a one project.

These posts and referenced content within give you some details
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/13628.page#64241
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7497.page#30399
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24975.page#135956

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 28. 2012 20:29

Oldshep [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks everyone... i think I have it sussed (not straight fwd) as many of you said CL terminology confuses the issue. I don't think I can actually achieve all I wanted in functionality. I did Create disk and added my 4 TITLES (each with the 1 default chapter.. The Root Menu had the Play and Scenes options and the Titled/Chapters had 4 buttoned items.

If I selected Scenes and the correct playback option indeed each TITLE played thru and then returned to the Titles/Chapters Menu.

As many other folk have mentioned in this forum if I select Play from the Root Menu it will only play the first Title unless I changed the Playback option then I could play all 4 titles. However this was only a trial as it stuffed up the playback I needed to return to the Title/Chapter after each section.

I am correct in assuming you cannot just have the Title/Chapters Menu OR just a Root menu with the 4 Title buttons offered ..
A pity one has to have this almost surplus Root Menu just to select Scenes to accomplish what I want to do.
IS IT POSSIBLE TO DELETE THE PLAY OPTION ON THE ROOT

Can someone please clarify if it is possible to set up in such a way still to have both options that is the Play All facility (either using the Play from the Root Menu or Adding a 5th button on the Tiles/Chapters menu and a Single Title Item.

The only way I can think of is to import another PD project which would be all 4 sections on the single timeline (all one chapter) and make this the 5th option on the Titles Chapter Menu.
Oldshep
W7-64
PD11 Deluxe 11.0.0.2110
SR VDE120702-02
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

In the Create Disc Mode try this:

Happy editing Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Oldshep [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have done this see my latest reply I have fathomed the various scenarios of these Playback options
Thanks Oldshep
W7-64
PD11 Deluxe 11.0.0.2110
SR VDE120702-02
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Since in the original post you stated "get the DVD to play as I want" I assume you are working with DVD HQ, is that correct? If so pay close attention to the statements below from the link I had provided.

So if “Play the selected title only” is selected
BD H.264 (burnt disc)
Insert disc: menu is played and play when selected will play entire disc
Scene: plays starting at selected title and chapter and plays title only and returns to title menu

DVD HQ (burnt disc)
Insert disc: menu is played and play when selected will only play the first title completely and returns to root menu
Scene: plays starting at selected title and chapter and plays title only then returns to title menu

PD appears to do two different things, at least on my system and players, depending on what type of "Create Disc" I'm doing. To get the ability that you seek, namely "Play" on the root menu will play the entire disc and selecting a given "Title" on the title menu page will play that title only and return to the title menu for you to pick another title to play, out of PD Create Disc module on can only create a BD as described above. In the end if you want a DVD HQ, you need to use a third party utility to convert the BD folders to DVD or use a third party authoring package.

Yes, the menu system is full of inconsistencies, has been for years, and unfortunately not much has transpired for them to improve or simply fix program logic errors.

Jeff
Oldshep [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Jeff I did read the link but I'm sorry to say the different kinds of DVD was a litle beyond me at this time.
The options I have available and the selection I chose are shown on the attached file.

Even when I get round to fully grasping how PD burns differing DVD /CD options it again seems to be a bit confusing that it does not treat each kind of media the same.
[Thumb - disc option.png]
 Filename
disc option.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
39 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
142 time(s)
Oldshep
W7-64
PD11 Deluxe 11.0.0.2110
SR VDE120702-02
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
For your selection shown in the pic, the play in the root menu will not play all titles as it should but simply play the first one and return to the root menu as I indicated, at least on my systems that's how it behaves. To me this is an error in PD for DVD authoring and has been mentioned before dating back to PD7 at least.

Unfortunately, the only way I know how to accomplish your simple DVD menu task per your liking is to use some other 3rd party tools.

Jeff
Oldshep [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Jeff for patience with a 71 year old. It is as I thought.

What do you think of my solution to have a 5th. .pds file(which would be all other 4 sections on the timeline as a single one chapter TITLE and importing as a 5th. option in the Create Disc process with a 5th. button on the Title/chapters menu. Would it work?

As you say I could always PRODUCE (the PD option) 4 AVI( or other format files - what would you recommend) then input into my previous video editing software Pinnacle Studio the copy all four and paste onto the timeline at the end and then create a Menu system as I have done on many DVD's. albeit the Menus are not as fancy as offered in PD. Do you think I would lose any quality using this technique Oldshep
W7-64
PD11 Deluxe 11.0.0.2110
SR VDE120702-02
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes you could do that. The real problem is it takes away from how much footage you can put on the DVD before you suffer serious quality issues. You can fit ~60min on a single layer DVD, so 4 chapters of 7.5 minutes and one complete title of 30 minutes. What you can do is put your complete pds as the first title, when play is selected from the root menu your entire project would play, what you wanted. On the Scene menu page, change the title of the first project to "Play all", if selected this too would play all and return to the scene menu. Label the second project "Title 1", the third "Title 2" and so on. If "Title 1" is selected, it will play and return to scene menu. Likewise for Titles 2, 3, and 4.

Jeff
[Thumb - playall.png]
 Filename
playall.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
966 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
124 time(s)