Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Some Video Clips Are Frozen After Producing My Movie
Yurii [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 23, 2011 13:46 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I just put together a monster computer and can't imagine the problem is on my end. The problem I'm having is that when I produce my 12 min HD movie (all video shot from iPhone 4GS) 4-5 of my video clips (out of 70 or so) are frozen while the sound plays in the background.

My computer: i72600k 3.4GHZ, 16g Ram, 128g SSD, 1TB HDD data drive, OS Win7 64, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti.

I've tried producing the movie in every almost format, with and without fast rendering and am getting tired of having to watch my 12 min movie over and over and over only to find frozen clips.

I've attached my dxdiag.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks!
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
34 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
474 time(s)
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I just put together a monster computer and can't imagine the problem is on my end. The problem I'm having is that when I produce my 12 min HD movie (all video shot from iPhone 4GS) 4-5 of my video clips (out of 70 or so) are frozen while the sound plays in the background.

My computer: i72600k 3.4GHZ, 16g Ram, 128g SSD, 1TB HDD data drive, OS Win7 64, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti.

I've tried producing the movie in every almost format, with and without fast rendering and am getting tired of having to watch my 12 min movie over and over and over only to find frozen clips.

I've attached my dxdiag.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

What you really need to attach is the MediaInfo of the video from your iPhone 4GS.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Attach the Text file from MediaInfo.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
I had the same problem working with 1080P60 video from my Panasonic TM700. I used 20-some clips that were 10 seconds a piece, and every time I rendered it, random clips would be frozen while the audio played on. When PD hit the next clip, video resumed fine. Even the transition effect worked (frozen to functional transition)

I got it to work so that only one clip was frozen so I just went with it as it was getting really annoying re-rendering at different settings. The clip froze 2 seconds after it started.

I have a Core i7-950 / Nvidia GTX470. (random frozen clips with and without hardware acceleration)

I've found PD very easy to use, and extremely prone to buggy behavior. It's so quick and dirty though that I continue to use it anyways. I just am sure to save my project frequently.
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
I seldom have any problems with PD but I always have my default save set to 2 minutes.... you never know....... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Andy14 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 22, 2012 06:33 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I've noticed exactly the same issue compiling video with one clip acting as you describe.

I'm using 1080p50 from a Sony A65 and uploaded directly to YouTube where I noticed the issue.

If I start seeing this regularly I won't use PD10 anymore as I don't have the time to double check everything I render.
Marina [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 22, 2012 13:32 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have this problem all the time. The program finds it hard to move from a clip which has been altered to the next. Move the clip that gives you problems to another time line that usually sorts it out.
Yurii [Avatar]
[Post New]
Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I've tried rendering my video another 7 times and every time 3-4 clips are frozen somewhere in the movie (always random). I've tried every possible setting combination that might affect this to no avail. Hope they update and solve this issue.
[Post New]
As a (really annoying) work around, you can split your project up into smaller chunks, save each one individually.
Then when you get all the chunks working you can merge them and enable svrt
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Last time I posted a comment in a thread like this, it was locked (without explanation)... http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20665.page

Not only was it an almost identical problem, but it was shared by a number of PD users.

I don't have an answer, and there probably isn't a single answer - especially as PD is sometimes exhibiting this behaviour on well "qualified" PCs!

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Quote: Last time I posted a comment in a thread like this, it was locked (without explanation)

Tony;
If you keep making the same comment, you should just save time and add it to your signature!

Yurii;

It is often difficult to keep focused on your specific issue when so many users are chiming in that they have an "identical" problem. Problems are NOT identical, and having many users trying to hijaack the post makes it VERY DIFFICULT to keep on track...possibly that was why the post ynotfish referred to was locked, it got off-track and muddy.

The issue with frozen screens and pauses is discussed as an issue with the newer (5xx) Nvidia cards. They recently released a new driver that MAY help some of those issues (WHQL - version 296.10). However, they are still reporting some stuttering in different applications, even with the new drivers and do not have mention SPECIFICALLY of helping Cyberlink PD10 in the Release Notes.

EDIT/Caution - If you have previously tried to "rollback" Nvidia drivers to a working version, you will have to completely UNINSTALL and do a clean install of the new drivers. There is a help document on this recommendation on the Nvidia/GeForce site.

Have you tried selecting the "Intelligent SVRT" option for production?

Your machine is very strong, but it is often difficult to determine what is a "qualified" machine, as hardware platforms may be similar but react very differently to a problem. I will resist making comment on using SSD drives with limited free space (as I am still healing from the last beating I took on this subject), but I really am not sure whether this applies

It would be nice if there was a "sandbox" for testing, where different projects could be uploaded and shared, to test on different platforms. So many possible problem sources and solutions (like transitions, edited clips, output format selection, etc.).

Maybe (others here can comment better on the worthiness of the following than I) upload the problem clip to YOUTUBE (from inside PD10) and select the PD10 option to load the project on Directorzone (showing the timeline). Does that make sense? I haven't recommended this before, but maybe it would let others see the timeline in action and troubleshoot the location of issue/failure. Community... Does that make sense or have value??

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 24. 2012 16:04

[Post New]
i have the exact same problem as i mentioned.
my hardeware:
core i7-950
evga-gtx 470
win7-64
i was rendering to mp4 various quality presets, hardware and software mode.
svrt was not an option for 1080P60
the only trasition i used was fade.
the clip that froze was random
Loveclose [Avatar]
Member Joined: Feb 20, 2012 08:49 Messages: 76 Offline
[Post New]
[quote=FredB
The issue with frozen screens and pauses is discussed as an issue with the newer (5xx) Nvidia cards.

With respect, I'm not sure that I can agree with that. I've read many complaints about this exact same problem from folk with ATI graphic cards.

I post this not to inflame - far from it. I'm a great fan of this software and am willing like many to strive to get things working the way I'd want it to be.

BUT...

The truth is that every time I revisit this forum, it has a fair few new threads that voice concern over frozen video. The problem as described in this thread has been experienced by many, myself included, and a great many of these complaints come from folk with setups more advanced than mine, and and with varying graphic cards.

I'm really wondering now if there should be some severe testing from Cyberlink to see if they can replicate the problems described here and offer a solution. Because it's the one thing that really destroys confidence in a product - to see your video frozen time after time.

As far as splitting the project up into smaller pieces, yes - that does work. But in an ideal situation, with longer projects, that gets tiresome and doesn't reflect well on the product.

Rant over - but seriously, I really think this needs looking at.
FredB
Senior Contributor Joined: Sep 15, 2008 21:14 Messages: 1317 Offline
[Post New]
Loveclose;
Hard to "inflame" a Troll..we are already so dang cranky!

The suggestion on the video driver was based on my experience with the Card Manufacturer that Yurii was using (Nvidia). EACH manufacturer has it's own issues, but maintaining the most current driver possible is critical to get the best results.

Others here are much more familiar with ATI than I am, so I defer to them for helping you on that.

The issue with pauses, stuttering and screen freezes has been found to be caused by MANY things, often very different causes, depending on the machine specs, clips source/resolution/bitrate, input and output format selection, program preference settings...oh man that list is very long...too long to cover here.

What I was trying to suggest was, the problem is not always "exactly the same problem". It is absolutely the same symptom..but the solution is different for each user (often solved by the other dedicated editors that spend so many hours volunteering here). That is why it is important that each user start their OWN thread/post. So unique and specific attention can be paid to the solution of each "seemingly the same" problem.

MY particular stuttering and freezing and pausing issue was long ago solved by replacing my video GTX260 video card and updating to the latest driver. No, I do not mean that is always the problem, just one of the possible problems.

ALWAYS start your own thread to help the editors focus on your specifics. It is IMPORTANT!!
Bastian74
Senior Member Joined: Dec 06, 2010 12:12 Messages: 204 Offline
[Post New]
well, ill do a little testing and rule out hardware. i have several unique pc's i can run the same project on.
i dont think everyone here is having a unique problem.

turning off video preview and using software rendering excludes video drivers.
FredB
[Post New]
Bastian74;
I know the opinions vary here, so I am not trying to get a "discussion" started. My opinion is, do not believe that you can bypass the GPU in a Video editing project.

Transcoding and rendering of any kind in an NLE involves the GPU. Transitions, effects, edited/cut clips and any video enhancements, all use the GPU. Even portions of the sound are processed by the GPU. That is why the video drivers include a sound driver update. I KNOW that video drivers have caused many issues, but I don't blame them for everything wrong with PD10. I just suggest that eliminating them as a source is a good approach toward a solution.

If the problem was the PD10 software only, then EVERYONE would be having problems, that's all I am trying to say.

Hopefully someone here can duplicate Yurii's problem and suggest a way to solve it. Since you are doing 1/2 half as many clips as Yurii and 60P at a different resolution from a different hardware source, your problem is different.

My car won't start, but that doesn't mean that if your car fails to start we have the same problem. I am just suggesting that each problem deserves it's own post and attention.

I wish I could provide more help, I hope someone knowledgable comes in to help Yurii.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 24. 2012 19:34

Loveclose [Avatar]
Member Joined: Feb 20, 2012 08:49 Messages: 76 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Loveclose;
Hard to "inflame" a Troll..we are already so dang cranky!

Good post Fred, even for a dangly cranky Troll!! Found your post very interesting, especially the audio driver part, something I'm going to have to check up on tomorrow now you've mentioned it.

I've just downloaded the latest ATI catalyst driver pack - I'm assuming that if an audio driver is required for my GPU, then it will have been added then?
FredB
[Post New]
Loveclose;
Thanks for the comment.
Most video drivers contain an audio component in the update. Not sure if ATI/AMD separates theirs.

There is still an issue with the sound card/chip driver (that is separate) and should be updated from the audio MFR.

Hope that helps.
Bastian74
[Post New]
While it is certainly true that different problems can manifest themselves with similar symptoms it should not be ignored when multiple people have the same symptom. With enough people posting that share the problem one can start to narrow the problem down, with exceptions that some samples may indeed be different problems. More information, and more samples can only help in troubleshooting. I have enough computers to run hardware independent tests, the other poster may not.

Here is the problem as I experienced it:

Skip to 5:20

The source video was playing fine during the transition, but as soon as it is being rendered "on it's own" it freezes until the next clip.

The clip that froze is random, and was different every time I rendered it.

The source video for my clips was 1080 P60 from a Panasonic TM700.

Also, processing video files does not require a GPU at all. Video is just data the same as any other. While you have the option to involve the GPU via CUDA/DirectCompute/Stream, they are not involved if you disable hardware encoding. In this case, as the rendering itself did not hang, only the input stream it seems likely that the video decoding is where the fault was. That leads to further testing of various codecs. I happen to have Shark007 codec pack installed and I cannot deny that that may interact wtih the decoding of h.264 streams. I seriously doubt that PD10 has built-in codecs for decoding video, like VLC has.

While some video cards offer hardware assisted playback of some video streams, not every application is written to utilize that feature. Without knowing how PD10 is written I cannot say whether video card drivers play any roll at all. I can certainly say that you do not NEED video to process a video file. It's just data. I can open a video file in a hex editor if I want and do whatever I want to it.

The reason video card drivers have an audio component in them now is because they include a virtual soundcard driver for providing sound over hdmi cables. Those drivers are only used when you chose to use your HDMI display's speakers.

If the original poster has access to more than one computer, I would encourage him to copy his project files over and see if the results are the same.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 24. 2012 21:49

Yurii [Avatar]
[Post New]
@Bastian74 Thanks! I'll try that work around. So do I produce each split part, and hen merge them and re-produce/render?

This movie means a lot to me. It's of my first daughters 9 months. Many hours distilled down to 12min of priceless moments.

@FredB I just tried Intelligent SVRT with and without hardware acceleration (preview off) and no luck. Found 4 frozen clips half way through * I was excited because I hadn't realized that option yet. I agree that everyone has a different set of factors. It just sucks that I had to come here because I'm getting no help with my ticket (still no reply). And it appears I'm not the only one having a similar problem with frozen clips regardless of the factors involved. A system in-place to upload video and test based on different factors would be awesome though.
Bastian74
[Post New]
Correct. Save 4 extra copies of your project, part1 through part4.
Then produce each quarter one at a time until you get four fully functional productions.
Then you can create a new project and splice the 4 video clips together.

This doesn't really work-around the problem, it just makes it so you are more likely to get a functional clip by chance.
The odds of making a error free clip is 4 times better if the clip is 1/4 the duration. Then the final production only has 3 transitions.

As for troubleshooting the actual problem, I would try changing any codecs you've installed, if any. Also, try changing whether or not you use hardware acceleration for VIEWING the video. (in tools / options) If you've installed a codec pack, try uninstalling it. If you haven't installed a codec pack, try installing one. k-lite for windows prior to windows 7, and shark007 if windows 7.

I did render my problematic production on another computer and my first try worked without any freezes. I only ran it one time, so it may be just chance that it worked. Thats the problem with random, it takes a lot of tests to validate anything.

I actually remembered wrong which computer was having the problem. My Laptop is the computer that kept having freezing final results, not my desktop.

My laptop is windows 7 32-bit
I see that I have k-lite codec pack installed, not shark007
CPU is a core-i5
GPU is a nvs-3100 M (nvidia)