Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD9's preview window freezing with patch 2930.
YogiBear [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 05, 2011 07:41 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Hi everyone,
Like some others here, I have a problem with PD occasionally freezing while dragging the playback slider across the time line. When the freeze occurs, the preview window stops updating but I can continue to move the playback slider along the timeline and the time & position indicator below the preview pane continue to update normally. CPU usage either increases or decreases (but individual cores are never max'ed out) and the four magic icons to the left of the time line (hat & magic wand, hand, scissors etc) slowly redraw during the freeze.

I can recreate the problem with just two pieces of SD footage (MOD files from a Canon FS306) totalling 12 seconds on the time line. One thing I've noticed is the freeze-up appears to be always the same length, approximately 8 seconds.

I have a PD9 Ultra 64 (retail) CD containing version 2330 and this works fine. I have now incrementally installed each patch in turn then test for the freeze and it only occurs after updating to version 2930 - the latest patch available.

The basics of my system are...
Core 2 Quad @ 3GHz
4 GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX560 Ti with 280.26 drivers (also tried the previous version without success)
Win7 Home Premium 64-bit
PD9 Ultra 64 (retail)

The DxDiag is attached.

I know my RAM is less than recommended and my C drive is lacking space but I can't imagine either of the are the cause as scanning through twelve seconds of SD footage without any transitions or effects cannot be that punishing on the system!

Any help would be gratefully received.

Regards,
David.
 Filename
YogibearDxDiag.zip
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag
 Filesize
15 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
319 time(s)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi David -

When I first read your post, I thought of the two most obvious things... preview screen resolution &/or struggling GPU... but you're riding a GTX 560!

I get that same behaviour (and worse!) with my GTX 260, especially in more complex projects.

Depending on what you're editing & how complex your project is, I'd say your CPU & RAM are a bit "light on", but I don't think that's causing the freezing issue.

What resolution do you have your preview screen set at? Try lowering it.

Cheers - Tony

WHOOPS - I didn't realise this same issue had been under discussion previously. Just caught up!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 14. 2011 09:57

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi YogiBear ,

I see you're running the latest Nvidia driver. There are reports of issues with that driver for many editors.

2330 did not have a fully functioning Hardware Acceleration while 2930 has.

Your system lacks space in c drive, something you've been informed about.

Tony has mentioned dropping the preview resolution, I run mine at "high" and not at HD.

Please advise what the JVC camera is? What the frame rate is? Whether the file is interlaced or progressive for the mod files? Please attach a sample file, 5 to 10 seconds in length. Members could then try and replicate your issue.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Here's where those issues with the Nvidia driver were discussed http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/18465.page
YogiBear [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Starting with the graphics card drivers. I originally had 280.26 installed then rolled back to 275.33 and that didn't fix the freezing so I uninstalled and manually put 270.61 on, again without success.

I've also tried disabling hardware decoding and Cuda in the options and also installed the mystery 3305 patch that appeared today - no luck there either.

As for preview resolution, I was originally at high then tried dropping to normal then low without success.

The camera is a Canon Legria FS306. It's a standard UK model so I would guess 25fps interlaced.

Potential minor breakthrough! It appears that only certain pieces of footage cause the problem, or at least some are much, much worse than others. Most of my movie segments are okay but attached is one of the troublemakers - dragging the slider across the second half usually causes a freeze within a few seconds. I didn't get a freeze when moving the slider over the first half.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards,
David.
 Filename
MOV008.MOD
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
11098 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
245 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 15. 2011 14:55

YogiBear [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony,
Thanks for your suggestions.

As you can see from my reply to Dafydd, I've tried several different preview resolutions and driver versions without any success. Is there a "known good" driver set that I should try?

Regards,
David.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi David -

Downloading and checking your .MOD file makes me think it's not related to your GPU driver at all.

I had NO TROUBLE replicating the behaviour you described with the original .MOD file...
PD occasionally freezing while dragging the playback slider across the time line

- occasional freezing also occurred scrolling with the blue timeline scrubber

.MOD is an SD form of MPEG-2, used by JVC (and others).

First, I tried renaming the file to MOV008.mpeg (changed file extension)
- it exhibited the same behaviour
- occasional freezing also occurred scrolling with the blue timeline scrubber

Next, I produced the MOV008.MOD to MPEG-2 (DVD HQ) in PD
- couldn't make the preview screen freeze up no matter how much flicking around I did! (unless the original .MOD file was also in the timeline & I inadvertently scrolled into it)

* There's a thin green line on the right side of the video which also appears (only in PD, not in media players) in the produced version.

So, it seems that pre-producing the troublesome clips might be the way around it.

Comparison MediaInfo reports are attached.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - MOD_Media Info.png]
 Filename
MOD_Media Info.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
124 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
159 time(s)

AllenChicago [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Perhaps the just-released 3305 Patch will resolve this problem. I'm reading some good things already about this patch in the forum.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Love your positive attitude, Allen!

Sad to report that I repeated the same tests with David's .MOD file - after installing the 3305 patch - & got the same result.

I'm sure the patch will correct a number of issues - & it does include the 1.0.1.2821 version of Wave Editor.

Cheers - Tony
YogiBear [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for taking the time to help me out Tony - it's much appreciated.

I'm not sure what to make of this revelation that the freezing is caused by my source files interacting with patch 2930. The Canon FS306 is a fairly popular model so I'm surprised other people haven't reported the same issue. Having typed that, CapsPro is experiencing the same problem in this thread...
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/18786.page

... but his video source is a Sony HVR-Z5P.

To add to the confusion, rbowser is reporting here...
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/19032.page

... that the new 3305 patch cures similar freezing symptoms that we're experiencing.

I think I'll uninstall PD and the old nVidia drivers, have a good CLcleanse then reinstall and patch straight to 3305. Fingers crossed, eh?

Thanks again,
David.

ynotfish
[Post New]
David -

It's a shame it's all a bit hit 'n miss - but - yes - that sounds like it'd be worth a try.

The alternative for you (for now) would be re-rendering all your .MOD files to MPEG-2!

Cheers - Tony
William.gh [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 31, 2011 22:00 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
While I have acquired a stable system, I realize that I am seeing the same thing you guys are.

David, I replied to your question on my thread so I don't clutter up the other one: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/18784.page#99268 (we need to keep these three threads bumped)
and I sent you a PM if you could check that. Forgot to mention my email is my username at gmail.com

I really appreciate the work many of you are putting forth to resolving this issue.
I'm surprised to see the latest patch come out with such haste. I see a lot of things they need to address. I wish I had more support to bring to the table.
YogiBear [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi everyone,
Unlike some on the forum, the new 3305 hasn't fixed my problems. I tried a clean install of the latest nVidia drivers and PD then patched directly to 3305 without success.

I'll try stopping some background tasks to see if that makes a difference.

Regards,
David.