Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
momentarily lags, sometimes locks up
William.gh [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 31, 2011 22:00 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
While working with any number of files (1 for that matter) the software lags out for about 10 seconds. 10% of the time it locks up and must force close.
This issue normally happens when I come out of a clip adjustment and I move the timeline pointer and drop it. It holds my mouse icon as the watch face with two arrows until it releases me from the lock. This is a singular example of how it happens at random times.

The system is athlonIIx4 645, 4gig of 1600 ram, solidstate disk, Radeon HD5670, on a Bulldozer mobo, Win7x64

Working with AVCHD mts files with ghost files. I'll bet the hefty files have something to do with it but I'm not convinced "the machine cant handle it" because at other times, I'm able to load up 5 videos and sail through them frame by frame in review and preview. It only comes down to problems when I'm utilizing simple features that alter trim or sound or transitions.

Any suggestions before I jump ship?
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Can you attach a dxdiag.txt from your computer? From what you post your system should be strong enough. Do you know if you have shadow files enabled? __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
William.gh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry, I said ghost, I meant shadow.

Where is/how do i generate the dxdiag file?

edit: nm, silly me, please hold for file

edit #2: i dunno, the forum wont complete the 24k upload

In all seriousness, if you want to see the file, I can post it here or email it. (william.gh at gmail.com)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 31. 2011 23:28

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Click on the Start button (not labeled since XP). In the Search box, type dxdiag and press enter. Click the Save All Information button. That will give you a text file. Looks like you made it that far.

Click the Post Reply button here in the forums and attach the text file. Sometimes the forum can be a little slow, but it should work. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
William.gh [Avatar]
[Post New]
decided to try from a non-64bit system

edit: well that worked as it should have originally. I think i'm going to change my default IE back to the 32bit version.

Is there a way I can access administrative settings on the PD9 software? One thing I would change is how I dont like that everything (ie. buttons appearing) is animated. That is just more stupid stuff the software has to render when it should be focused on the important task at hand.

My fear about this situation is that its a hardware problem - i spent good money on this SSD... yet when PD9 times out momentarily, everything else about the computer runs fully functioning.

Does anyone think turning off shadow files would alleviate this problem? I dont mind decreased quality previews, pixilated images, momentary green screens, or minimally lagged interface, I just want these lock-ups to stop! Every time it happens, I'm set back a couple steps and have to restart the software. I'm just lucky PD9 auto saves as much as it does.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
dxdf
 Filesize
24 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
358 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 01. 2011 09:37

Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
You do not have enough disk space to edit HD.

The SSD is not a good choice for video editing, and is too small anyway. You need LOTS of space to edit and process HD. Your memory is also low, 6 to 8GB for 64bit windows is minimum. Your CPU and graphics should be fine. Big SATA II or III disks 1-2 TB with big buffers 64MB will do the trick. SSD are ok for gaming, which loads up the GPU (video card) not the disk. SSD read out data OK, but when you write data back to them, they have to erase old data, then write new data. Its how they work, they only erase old data just before write new ... thats why every so often you have to factory reformat to restore performance. RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
William.gh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Rocket-scientist, I value your feedback and am leaning with you, that my disk is probably at fault, but I must disagree with your reasoning. If I'm working with a 30meg file, why do you think 57gig of free disk space wouldn't be enough?

I'm probably going to buy another platter disk with large buffer as you suggest to humor this theory, but I'm not sure I follow the reasoning for why a SSD isn't good for video editing. I bought it for this reason primarily, heck, I almsot dropped the extra buck for the GT which has synchronous chips which handle large file sizes better.

Ram... I'm not sure I have a bottle neck there with 4 gigs. These issues can begin at a moments notice after a cold boot working with just a couple files of 1-4 minute length. Files cued up amount to a 16th of Ram while all operations will total to just under a gig.

Again, I love all ideas coming at me and my arguments against are meant to simply be that, just an argument so bring it on.

I can make a video of this problem happening... the issue is pretty clear though. The real problem is to outline every chance that it can happen.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/17630.page

Please have a read of the above link. It is one of my bookmarks. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/17508.page

Editors here have helped many with SSD issues. Rocket-Scientist is giving you some sound suggestions.

Forum Moderator.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 01. 2011 13:11

Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
SSD are strange beasts, even if they say they have 50-60GB of free space, that does not equate to 50-60Gb of "empty space". when video editing software goes to write a big block of data... the disk has to first erase that block, then write it out (THAT IS THE LAGS) ... the computer then locks up is when the disk is "erasing" the out buffer is overflowing and windows gets a HALT flag from the disk, windows then trys to increase the buffer space and it SWAPS to the same disk ... [THE LOCKUP] RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
William.gh [Avatar]
[Post New]
I love it when a host of forum regulars come and swoop in on a noob with links to backup common technical issues.

Great bookmark page - only if more mods kept a page like that.

I'll first scrape everything off the SSD, see how that affects it. I want to finish this project before having to buy another disk.
William.gh [Avatar]
[Post New]
This was a fresh install (FYI) so there is no other software on the disk. I swept away the file clutter and turned off shadow files and got rid of them too. (Man does it look better and run smoother w/o shadow files!) Alleviated 89gigs free.

So I was able to find a way to reproduce the problem with this one little project. Bring in a video (69meg) and have it next to another video (above or below) and Trim the video. Click OK, brings me back ... all is ok until I do something like adjust time location of a video or move the playback pointer. THEN PD9 halts. At this point they have been hard stops.

I like Win7's Recourse Monitor tool and sat here for an hour analyzing the data. ...and well, my conclusion is I didn't learn the answer , but I did rule out disk and memory problems related to "not enough space". Page faults are negligible, total ram usage is 25%, disk activity during a lock up is minimal to non existant (which doesn't rule out the disk though).... and it looks more and more like PD9 software code hanging.

Rocket-scientist, I'm gonna have to shut down your explination on my problem. You are describing a complete system lockup and sounds like you know a lot, but enough to get you into trouble. PD locks w/o a hitch to any other sevice or resource which made it easy to monitor the fault activity.

I read those threads again and did some searching related to hangs and lockup. This whole idea of not enough disk space is preposterous and seems to have gotten stuck in your heads. It looks to stem from a single person where it spread from there. The OS doesnt use a disk as RAM except only as large as the page file. PD does utilze the video files on disk but only for reading (PD does not write to any video files) so requirements of large disk space are defunct. Yes, maybe some people have a bunch of crap on their pc by the time they are running out of disk space and a reload fixes it. The other commonality in a couple of those threads are SSD's. I've heard plenty of negative issues with these drives which why changing is #2 on my list.

Trying anything else you guys might have me do is #1 (especially since i dont have a new disk yet). I'd be interested in a new line of thought on this subject. I'm game for tweaking settings, checking drivers, PD version (2930), PD reload, is the project tainted, i dunno, i'm out of ideas.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi William.gh,
Entering the SSD debate and the functionality (or should that read "non-functioning") of an editors system using PD9 is something I'll step back from. I've read too much, seen the argument, had my eldest son whispering in my ear all making the case. All I know is that those who are using SSD's have problems with video editing and those of us who have either stayed with disk drives or who have removed SSD don't have problems.

Please use GOOGLE using "SSD video editing" and see what's thrown up.

CyberLink may have some additional information with their online support staff, please contact them: http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do
I'm not aware they have more than what you have been directed to read and the suggestions given to you by members.

William.gh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Trust me, I want there to be an easy explination to this and the SSD is pretty much as easy as it comes but I see no proof. I googled your suggestion and a couple other variables with no actual facts or even a handful of outcry about video editing problems from a SSD. Only time it's suggested that its bad is because of disk size and premature EOL. And when mention of lagging and such comes up, its one guy with no references. On 5 google pages did that happen twice.

I too would rather not enter the SSD debate because there hasnt been enough time for any real experience to come of it. Anything that was found in early 2010 is old news because the disk makers fixed those issues. (I have no references on this but it just looks like the case - SSD architecture is such a rapidly changing product)

Please, lets look at other possibilities that I may work on so I don't just throw money around from the start. Trust me, I am humble enough to admit defeat when the time comes and I'll stick this out until its fixed... hopefully. So there will be proof of this problem.

Now, where can I find old updates?
William.gh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd, can you link me to older revisions of PD9? Apparently current downloads of PD9 have the latest patch built in?
This is my PD9 installer name: VDE110307-01

I uninstalled PD9 and reinstalled... and i suppose installed 2702 over what ever my installer is - problem continued.
Re-loaded Win7 with latest drivers, installed PD9 and didnt want to install any updates but lo and behold it was at 2930 as soon as I opened it up. Anyway, as you guessed, still locks up.

I've slimmed the symptoms down to a couple files and i use the Trim feature. Come out of that and I can do other things in the software, even adjust that track's volume but as soon as I grab that track to move it, lock. I'm out of ideas, short of replacing the drive, but I do feel like I've found a bug.
William.gh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Found a new way to create a lock up - by moving the video line up. See attached screen snip, thats how the sw froze.
[Thumb - Capture1.PNG]
 Filename
Capture1.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
cap1
 Filesize
16 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
273 time(s)
Hijlko [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 04, 2011 18:59 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I too had freezes (approx. 10s) and Powerdirector hanging. I have a Sony Vaio SA laptop with 256Gb SSD, 8Gb RAM and I7.
This system has two video cards, one onboard and an additional one for heavier graphic stuff user selectable with a switch.

The problems are non existing (so far) with the graphic switch to the onboard graphics, as soon as I use the Radeon Graphics Card the problems occur.

Of course this can be a totally different cause than with your system.

I too believe the so called SSD cause is not valid.
William.gh [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have a Caviar Black 1TB on the way... maybe need to just go ahead and get a non-ATI video card too.

PowerDirector vets, any suggestions on video cards?
Also, any links to old revision software?
TexasCityDave#1
Newbie Location: Southeast TX Joined: Aug 08, 2011 22:58 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
I removed the Google toolbar on my Windows 7 OS and it reduced the lockups considerably.

Also, I don't use the slider while my video is running. I pause the video, then slide to my destination, then resume if necessary. That eliminates the pauses and lockups when trying to slide while the video is playing.

May sound simple and goofy, but it works for me. WINDOWS 7 PRO 64 BIT [SP1]
ASUS P8P67LE MB
Intel Ci7 2600K 3.40 Ghz
2X 8GB 1600Mhz Dual BL
2X EVGA GTX460 1GB SC
120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD
2X 1TB WD10000 SRTL Caviar Black
PD 9 Ultra 64
LG-12X Blu-Ray
Cameras: Canon 7D, Canon HF S21
William.gh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey Dave, thx for the thoughts but both suggestions don't apply in my case. BUT if I knew of a way to avoid the problem I wouldn't be here desperately hoping for solutions.

Though I am wondering if your Force 3 drive, which is the same as mine, is your C: and is also where PD9 is installed?

Because if it works for you then we can put the SSD thing to bed.

And thanks for the suggestion on video, I was already eyeing that one!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 04. 2011 22:28

TexasCityDave#1
Newbie Location: Southeast TX Joined: Aug 08, 2011 22:58 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
The PD install was done on the SSD (C. But when I'm working with the program, I redirect my files to the 1TB hard drive. I know that some stuff still makes it's way over to the SSD drive during rendering, but the bulk of the project migrates to the other hard drive.

Now mind you, I haven't done anything elaborate with PD9, but what I've done, I'm pleased overall with the performance. I'm an old man and have grown patient. When I have a lockup or glitch, I just try to roll with the punches and realize that what I'm able to do now was pretty much impossibe a couple of years ago. I'm not making excuses, just personal observations.

I wish you the best in your endeavours. WINDOWS 7 PRO 64 BIT [SP1]
ASUS P8P67LE MB
Intel Ci7 2600K 3.40 Ghz
2X 8GB 1600Mhz Dual BL
2X EVGA GTX460 1GB SC
120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD
2X 1TB WD10000 SRTL Caviar Black
PD 9 Ultra 64
LG-12X Blu-Ray
Cameras: Canon 7D, Canon HF S21