Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DVD BURN FAILS - ANYONE HAVE A SOLUTION
[Post New]
well, I have received a few answers from forum members and I also contacted customer support 3 times now. NO SOLUTIONs to PD8 ultra not BURNING DVDs or files.
I have done everything the forum members said to try, and everything the customer support said to try.
I also have tried burning to a file instead of a disc. will not do - it fails there too.
Then, all of a sudden when it feels like it- it burns a disc just fine???
I have gone through the forum discussions back to 2006 and it appears that this has been a longtime issue with Power Director regardless which one you use.
see my previous uploads of errors and my dx/diag. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/14981.page
OH I also put my computer completely back to factory image, updated everything, and reinstalled PD8 Ultra along with it's update and still have problems.
I bought this to make DVDs with -- Please someone come up with a solution!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 17. 2011 15:26

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I looked at your DxDiag.txt file, your Video Card may not be powerful enough to work with Powerdirector 8.

When creating a DVD folder, the video card plays a large part in rendering the Video.

I would recommend that you purchase a better Video Card. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Thanks for the response - my computer is only a couple years old and looks as though it has enough memory???? no??? attached is information on Video card
[Thumb - video card.jpg]
 Filename
video card.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
video card info
 Filesize
45 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
262 time(s)
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Calchick,

I agree with Carl...your card is not the most powerful and could be a factor...or maybe it might be your total RAM that is available...

With your project open on the timeline....Can you now go to the PRODUCE section of Power Director 8 and select mpeg-2 file type and make sure that the profile says DVD HQ. Select a folder destination for the file....give it a name (the default name will be PRODUCE)....make sure that "enable preview during production" is selected. Confirm for me that "hardware acceleration" is NOT selected...at least for now.

Now select START....watch the rendering as it happens in the preview window. Does it complete? If it does follow up to this post with a YEA! or NEA! If NEA1 please pay close attention to what is being displayed in the preview window. This particular area on your timeline may be the root cause of the problem. It might be an audio file...or a video clip. We can only guess because we can't see your project (screenshot please) and we don't know where it is hanging during production(that comes from you).

I need more detailed information also about the video clips you are using in your production. Are they all the same type? Same resolution? They may be the cause of the problem. If you could download a free application called MediaInfo and then install it....Once installed...rightclick on one of the video clips you are using in your project in Windows Explorer and then save the results as a text file and attach it to your next post. By the way....are you using any audio files? mp3? or some other type?

Also can you take a screenshot of your project open and on the timeline please...make sure the entire project is visible on the timeline....not just a portion of it. Also make sure you include the MEDIA ROOM and what is in it as well.

Regards,

KEvin

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jan 09. 2011 06:32

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Just a followup question to get some history.

Is this the very first video project you have done? Or have you produced DVD's and video files successfully in the past and the problem is a new one? What I am getting at...Is the problem specifically with this project? Or have you used the SAME types of video source files in projects before and had no trouble?

Bottom line: I am trying to find out if you can produce a video file consistently of your project using PD8...eliminating the Burning to disc as a variable. If you can do that consistently...several times in a row....then that will be a big step forward.

Regards,

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 09. 2011 06:46

[Post New]
Yes I have done several DVD with same type files, in the same way chose what you said DVDHQ and chose mpg2 - can produce - its when I get to burning part, can't burn to a file and can't burn to disc. although sometimes it does burn to disc?????? it's like it has a mind of its own - all the files I am using are the same type files. (see my uploaded error messages something about muxer can't keep muxing or something. I have NO trouble using windows movie maker/dvd maker but want to be able to use the product PD8 ultra since I paid $$$ for it!! I was told by a computer repair guy and our AT&T repair guy that we have a butt kickin computer quad processor it is about 2 years old. Also, I did notice that if you look thru the forums till way back in 2006 there are tons of people having this BURN issue??? and if its my video card, then why does Windows DVD/movie maker not have a problem doing what they are supposed to do?? I had no problems with the trial version when trying it. weird. and yes, I have totally uninstalled and reinstalled it also. hope someone comes up with a fix for the burn problem. thanks for your help

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 10. 2011 13:54

[Post New]
Looks like PD9 is having BURN issue too:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/14237.page
u7mg0 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 21, 2010 16:39 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same issue. new computer. every other program works fine. PD8 crashes every 5 minutes. cant burn, fail burns. program is way too unstable and unable to be fixed on my PC. yes, seems like lots of people have thsi issue but Cyberlink does nothing to improve their program. i am going to have to buy Vegas or Adobe i guess. i feel your pain
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
u7mg0.

The assistance I just gave you was a waste of my time - perhaps.

FYI PD8 is a very stable program which does burn discs successfully. It is highly unlikely any changes will be made to PD8 as PD9 is now the in-use program for editors.

If your operating system or hardware has a weak spot (which yours appears to have) then video editing will expose it.

You are welcome to go elsewhere- try their forums first perhaps before you espouse what actions you "intend" doing.

FYI PD9 isn't having a "burn issue". You will see that if you read through the link given above.

Dafydd

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 12. 2011 15:38

[Post New]
Carl312 has an idea - about the video card, what are the minimum requirements for Video Card to run PD8???
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Carl312 has an idea - about the video card, what are the minimum requirements for Video Card to run PD8???

Check this link for the requirements for PowerDirector 8.
https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/product-requirements.do?ProductId=4&prodId=4&prodVerId=-244

Look at the heading:
Supported GPGPU graphics card

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 12. 2011 16:26

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

u7mg0 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 21, 2010 16:39 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Dafydd,

i base my statement on the many posts here and other forums/reviews of PD crashing and having burn problems. dont single me out like i am the only one.

I may "espouse" do to whatever i want. what does that matter to you and why did you have to comment on it.

i apologize for wasting your time
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
u7mg0

I read the majority of posts on the forum and the majority of issues on PD8 referencing burn issues are "self-inflicts" which are rectifiable with some minor changes to a users set up or selection. Based on what I know, I'd state you were incorrect. Even PD9's has reports which turn out to be self-inflicts.

Certainly you can espouse what-ever you like BUT you don't have the right on this forum to advertise other software products. This is a PowerDirector forum and topics relate directly to it.

At least one (both) of the products you've aspire to have been tested by senior members here - and they find PD9 to be superior, easier, quicker ......

Have a great time editing.

Bye

Dafydd

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 13. 2011 12:10

[Post New]
I apologize to the members of this forum. I just read Dafydd's post, and he is right. This is a CyberLink Forum, and it is not the appropriate place to discuss competing products. But, can you sense my frustration in the thread that was removed? I have a Master's degree in computer engineering and 30 years of design experience. I'm not some n00blette posting an uneducated rant. I tested several projects on three different systems using two different operating systems. None of these systems were lightweight computers. All had the exact same failure in the exact same place. I spent considerable time trying to isolate the cause of the failure. While a lot of folks looked at the posts, and several people downloaded the DxDiags and jpgs, nobody offered a single piece of advice. I do want to solve this problem, and I would be happy to upload a failing project to an FTP server for you to try. You don't need to burn a disc. Just try creating a folder. Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Core i7 860 @ 2.8 Ghz
8 GB DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Try turning OFF the video decoder and the AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing to off in preferences. see screen shot for settings.

Also deselect Hardware Encoding in the Burn to Disc menu. see screen shot.

In another topic this proved to work for the user. It is worth a shot.

Let us know.

Kevin
[Thumb - DISC Burning HA off.PNG]
 Filename
DISC Burning HA off.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
76 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
396 time(s)
[Thumb - HA OFF.PNG]
 Filename
HA OFF.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
169 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
428 time(s)

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Gee, I'm getting slower answering these thread, that "youngster" over on Chebeague is zipping in again.

Dafydd.

PS. I'm off for a "Red Dwarf" chuckle seeing as I had the set given to me for Xmas.... Every episode. "It's dark outside. No kinda atmosphere....
[Post New]
By the way Cap'n Kevin I love your way of helping and encouraging others and if you are considered a senior here, my hats off to you big guy.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 17. 2011 12:48

[Post New]
Thanks for trying, Cap'n. I had seen that advice in a previous post and already tried it. (I started my troubleshooting a long time ago by combing through this forum.) Of course, my dialogs look a little different as I am using PD8, but the switches are the same. (Except for the fact that I turn off "Enable NVIDIA CUDA technology to speed up video effect preview/render" because my system has a GeForce and not a Radeon GPU.)

The work I posted in the thread that is now gone was done with all these features disabled. I really wish you'd restore that thread and just hack off the final couple of posts. There was some good information in there that I'd like users of this forum to be able to mull over. The failures I got in the exact same spots with the exact same projects on wildly different systems were exactly as I documented in that thread. All were exceptions thrown in ntdll.dll.

BTW, saying that mannycom2001's previous post was "edited" is kind of like saying the Titanic sprung a leak. Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Core i7 860 @ 2.8 Ghz
8 GB DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240
Forrester [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 15, 2008 13:38 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Saw you posting about burn issues. Just began happening to me and now even ones I have already burned in the past using PD8 will not burn. Nothing on my computer end has changed, any suggestions? Do they have to be MPEG-2? The only difference is, the last one, where the trouble began, I selected mpeg-4 and it began this issue. Even reproducing it with mpeg-2 and still nothing. I can burn DVD's with other programs, but PD has began acting up. never any issue until now, been using since PD3.

I am using PD8 Deluxe 8.0 2508 I DL the update with no results. In the past two day the program began crashing as well.

Seems all Hel* is breaking out on this program for me. Never any issues using Cyberlink products. Just this past time and it can't be stemming from selecting Mpeg4. there has to be something Im missing here.
Forrester [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 15, 2008 13:38 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Oh yeah, everything goes well until I selec burn.It will start the burn proccess and author 1% and error. Says burn "unsuccessful/unspecified error"

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 29. 2011 16:33