Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Preview screen turns black
Lee
Newbie Location: San Francisco Bay Area Joined: Jul 22, 2010 18:19 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Greetings,

I am having a problem where after say, splitting the video track and removing a segment, i'll then go to play the movie and all i get is audio, and no video, just a black screen in the preview panel. So far i have been working around it by double clicking on the video track and then clicking cancel on the screen that pops up. Then i'm able to play, and see the video.

Any ideas? I couldn't find anything in the preferences, nor did searching the forum return an answer.

Thanks,

Lee
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Lee,
Crucial information is a sample file of the video and the source (camera).

I've come across this before with a Jazz hdv178

You can attach a 5 second video.

Dafydd
Lee
Newbie Location: San Francisco Bay Area Joined: Jul 22, 2010 18:19 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply.

Well the camera is a Canon VIXIA HF R11 that records in .mts format, so i don't know if that has anything to do with it.

This is all on my pc at work.

I use PD at home and never have an issue with it.

I've tried messing about with various settings in PD with no luck. Maybe i'll try using the camera on my pc at home at see what happens.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Lee,
1. Really could do with a sample from that camera.
2. I'd like to see the popup which you deleted with your workaround.
3. I'd like you to attach a diagnostic file - PART B.
4. Supply a screenshot see PART F and E below in the guides.

If you make a sample and the information available, the senior editors here have much more to go on and get an answer for you.

I don't have a sample from an R11 - you give info and sample, we test, we resolve, you smile.

Dafydd

Guide information:
You can not pinpoint the issue BUT you can give more detail of content and provide a visual image as well as a diagnostic of your set up. Please note that 3 (x100kb) images/files can be attached to your reply.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
PART A - name it
PART B - provide it
PART F - use them
PART E - an alternative
PART D - presentation is important

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 29. 2010 13:55

RonNery [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 29, 2008 11:09 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I think this is my issue. The source 1080i mpg files are perfectly fine and I was able to split, title, etc. just fine. At some later point, after reopening the project, I realized that video for some of those clips is black. Audio is fine and titling intact, but no video. Original video that was used in project can still be played fine. I used two source videos for this project and it appears the clips for the first video are still able to be previewed. Also, I don't think it's permanent, since I was able to reopen the project and it's fine. The only thing I do, after opening the project, is compress the timeline.

I understand that the workaround here is just to reopen the project, but it keeps happening and it's annoying. I'm on an i7 860 box running 64-bit Windows 7, with tons of HD space and 8 GB of memory, so resources shouldn't be a factor. Ideas?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 31. 2010 09:11

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Answer 1. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/12519.page#58444

Answer 2. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/12519.page#58487

Nothing will be done without a sample file in either case. It doesn't matter what you're experiencing or viewing. Unless you provide the information requested then no video editors can assist you.

Dafydd
Lee
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Lee,
1. Really could do with a sample from that camera.

Assuming you mean video, they can be seen at www.youtube.com/kessiltube

Quote: 2. I'd like to see the pop-up which you deleted with your workaround.

So this is the sequence, occasionally, for it seems no particular reason, the preview screen goes black when attempting to play the clip...

If i double click on the clip, i get...

I then click "cancel" on that pop up screen and the preview screen comes back to life.

Quote:
3. I'd like you to attach a diagnostic file - PART B.
4. Supply a screen-shot see PART F and E below in the guides.

If you make a sample and the information available, the senior editors here have much more to go on and get an answer for you.

I don't have a sample from an R11 - you give info and sample, we test, we resolve, you smile.

Dafydd

Guide information:
You can not pinpoint the issue BUT you can give more detail of content and provide a visual image as well as a diagnostic of your set up. Please note that 3 (x100kb) images/files can be attached to your reply.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
PART A - name it
PART B - provide it
PART F - use them
PART E - an alternative
PART D - presentation is important

How do i get the "diagnostic file" of which you speak?
Steve [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 03, 2010 04:37 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I am having the same or a similar problem. I dont think it is related to the image file - sometimes it plays correctly, other times the same clip plays a black screen with audio only. The problem occurs for me only when in edit mode - after rendering the clips into a final movie there is no issue - intuitively it doesnt seem as if the problem is with the format of the clip.

My workaround is as follows - you can view a clip in 3 ways while editing - embedded in the top right of the edit panel, in a preview window and in a full screen preview. If a clip is showing black, I just flick from full scrren to windowed or vice versa and I usually get it back.I have noticed the problem more often when playing back several clips in movie mode - each time it flows from one clip to the next, the video turns black, and I use the above workaround. It is just annoying, and obviously something is not right.

I use m2Ts files from a Sony Cx116 recorded in HD FH mode. I edit using PD 8.00.1930 running on a Lenovo T400 laptop.
If I was to hazard a guess, I would say that the laptop struggles in terms of cylces and/or memory. Still doesnt make it right though - a black screen !
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
LJSearles:
1. I was after a sample of the video you are using - not a youtube posted video. RE: Canon VIXIA HF R11 about 5 to 10 seconds would be good and can be attached to your post here for me to download. Samples from cameras are essential to have to make sure PD works with all video sources.
2. From the images you have posted I see you have Shadow Edit files being generated.
a) i could do with knowing what your PC is.
b) Please supply a diagnostic file
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7979.page#34439
PART B
3. I note in your attached image you have not allowed PD to generate the shadow edit file (Yellow Icon showing) before you atarted editing. You should have.

Shadow edit files should be generated before starting to edit as interference with the file will prevent the task being completed. The audio section is generated separately as a "temp text" file and this is the reason you can hear the audio.

Solutions: Depending upon the capability of your computer you can shut down shadow file creation and edit without the use of them. If you have a low end PC this isn't feasible. I've asked for a diagnostic to assess your PC. Shutting off shadow files is easy see: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/9621.page#41702 I don't use shadow Files - I know the limitations of my PC. Of course you should upgrade your PC if you intend editing HD files.

Steve,
You need to upgrade your version of PD with the latest patch. 1930 build has issues. http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html
FYI Anonymous posts can not be contacted by PM.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
Steve [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 03, 2010 04:37 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for the tips - in my case I will update build - and I am proud to step out from cloak of anonymity - thanks for advice on that too.

cheers
Lee
[Post New]
Quote: LJSearles:
1. I was after a sample of the video you are using - not a youtube posted video. RE: Canon VIXIA HF R11 about 5 to 10 seconds would be good and can be attached to your post here for me to download. Samples from cameras are essential to have to make sure PD works with all video sources.

Attached.

2. From the images you have posted I see you have Shadow Edit files being generated.
a) i could do with knowing what your PC is.

Attached

PART B
3. I note in your attached image you have not allowed PD to generate the shadow edit file (Yellow Icon showing) before you atarted editing. You should have.

Shadow edit files should be generated before starting to edit as interference with the file will prevent the task being completed. The audio section is generated separately as a "temp text" file and this is the reason you can hear the audio.

Solutions: Depending upon the capability of your computer you can shut down shadow file creation and edit without the use of them. If you have a low end PC this isn't feasible. I've asked for a diagnostic to assess your PC. Shutting off shadow files is easy see: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/9621.page#41702 I don't use shadow Files - I know the limitations of my PC. Of course you should upgrade your PC if you intend editing HD files.

Done

Dafydd
[Moderator]
 Filename
pd sample clip.mpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
4560 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
483 time(s)
 Filename
PD_DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
39 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
417 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
I thought the issue is with an *.MTS HD file and not with an mpeg?

What format does your camera capture? That's the file I require.

Thanks

Dafydd
Lee
[Post New]
I hope this works....
 Filename
00018.MTS
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
10590 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
365 time(s)
donbroadband
Member Location: Caldy, Wirral UK Joined: Aug 06, 2009 06:04 Messages: 119 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Lee,
I downloaded your 00018.mts file and played it with no problem with PD8 on my system. because I am set up to process PAL standard and your file was NTSC PD8 automatically converted it - it played like a treat. Looking at your DXdiag file I see your machine has onboard Intel G45/43 graphics. Your driver is out of date - 6.14.0010.4977. The latest drive on the INTEL site is 6.14.0010.5284. The Intel site talks about problems with high res on the older drivers. I should update the drivers.

Hope this helps,

Don Gigabyte I7/4940 O/C 4.3, Noctua Cooler 10GB DDR3, 4 x 1TB, 1TB SSD, Geoforce GTX660 TI 8500W PSU, Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
mcluna21 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 04, 2010 18:30 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Good Day Donald and Dafydd,

I also am having many problems w/blank preview screens, preview screen showing wrong video segment then what is selected on the timeline, as well as audio missing at times. I just downloaded PD8 Deluxe 8.00.3022 last week and my computer i just got 2 months ago. attached is my Dxdiag, and a screen capture of the blank preview, and screen capture showing wrong preview then what is selected on the timeline. My camera is a So`ny DCR DVD610 and records in .VOB.

Thanks for your help,
Mike
[Thumb - PD8 wrong preview.jpg]
 Filename
PD8 wrong preview.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
29 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
326 time(s)
 Filename
mclunaDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
27 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
357 time(s)
[Thumb - PD8 blank screen.jpg]
 Filename
PD8 blank screen.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
28 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
326 time(s)
donbroadband
Member Location: Caldy, Wirral UK Joined: Aug 06, 2009 06:04 Messages: 119 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Mike,
Not sure I can help too much on this - I have very little first hand experience of the onboard graphics, however checking on Intels site I note that you do not appear to have the latest driver set for the Mobile 4 chipset. Have you ched on the DELL site for driver update ( I did and there seem to be some graphics driver updates). Yours is a fairly modest system and might be struggling with PD8 - it is a bit resouce hungry. If you resrta the playback from the time line does it clear up and also if you look in the Task Manger under processes (click on CPU) is there anything using lots of CPU resource?

And lastly when you updated PD8 did you restart the system after the update was completed?

Don Gigabyte I7/4940 O/C 4.3, Noctua Cooler 10GB DDR3, 4 x 1TB, 1TB SSD, Geoforce GTX660 TI 8500W PSU, Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
mcluna21 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Don,

I kinda figured since my system is fairly new that I didn't need any updated drivers yet but I will check into that. I agree with you that my system is on the low end and that might be the main reason. I just downloaded PD8 last week so I haven't done an update on it. My CPU avg's at about 7 and occassionaly will jump to 29 and drop back down.

I'll probably check into getting a larger system.

I appreciate your help,
Mike
donbroadband
[Post New]
Hi Mike,
If your version is 3022 you already have the latest version of PD8. Regarding driver updates, whilst your system maybe new it could have been sitting in Dells warehouse for a while AND not have the latest drivers on board. My wife has a DELL and I think there is a facility where it will auto update its drivers. If you go on the DELL site and put in your service code Dell will tell you whether you have the current drivers or not.

I have actually used PD8 on my media PC (Dual Core Atom 330) and it will work though it is very very slow.

Good Luck,

Don D Gigabyte I7/4940 O/C 4.3, Noctua Cooler 10GB DDR3, 4 x 1TB, 1TB SSD, Geoforce GTX660 TI 8500W PSU, Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
mcluna21 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Don,

Thanks for the info, I will check into the Dell updates.

I appreciate your help, good luck to you.

Mike
Lee
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Lee,
I downloaded your 00018.mts file and played it with no problem with PD8 on my system. because I am set up to process PAL standard and your file was NTSC PD8 automatically converted it - it played like a treat. Looking at your DXdiag file I see your machine has onboard Intel G45/43 graphics. Your driver is out of date - 6.14.0010.4977. The latest drive on the INTEL site is 6.14.0010.5284. The Intel site talks about problems with high res on the older drivers. I should update the drivers.

Hope this helps,

Don

Did you try and edit a clip and switch back and forth between "movie" and "clip" mode? That's when i seemed to have had the problem of the preview screen blacking out.

I'll see if i can get the systems admin to update the drivers, or perhaps put a proper video card in it.