Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector crashes during editing
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Hello.

SInce I updated to the latest version of PowerDirector the program keeps crashing during editing. I can be completing the simplest task (moving the playhead, splitting a clip, copying /pasting keyframe attributes, etc.) and the program crashes.

I am editing the same H.264 .mov files that I have been editing with previous versions of PowerDirector. There are no effects, masks, etc, I only have simple splits on 8 tracks tracks with two crossfades (created by overlapping clips). I have to save the project after every edit to make sure I don't lose progress. Making a simple 8 minute video is taking a very long time.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

CyberLInk PowrerDirector 365
Release 2024
Version Type: 365
Version: 22.0.2107.0

DxDiag Txt file is attached.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag Txt File
 Filesize
144 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
87 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 18. 2023 15:42

Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello.

SInce I updated to the latest version of PowerDirector the program keeps crashing during editing. I can be completing the simplest task (moving the playhead, splitting a clip, copying /pasting keyframe attributes, etc.) and the program crashes.

I am editing the same H.264 .mov files that I have been editing with previous versions of PowerDirector. There are no effects, masks, etc, I only have simple splits on 8 tracks tracks with two crossfades (created by overlapping clips). I have to save the project after every edit to make sure I don't lose progress. Making a simple 8 minute video is taking a very long time.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

CyberLInk PowrerDirector 365
Release 2024
Version Type: 365
Version: 22.0.2107.0

DxDiag Txt file is attached.

If you can share your project so some of us can test it on our PC, maybe we can help find the problem.
In this case, you would have to package your project and share it in Pack Project Materials and Upload to Cyberlink Cloud...
Better if you can shorten it and still have the problem. XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
RobertdK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 25, 2017 06:50 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Same problem here!
Seems completly random. Selecting a clip, moving the playhead, start preview. All these can trigger a crash.
I'm working on a 43min video in lowres (extracted from a VHS video tape). Only 6 track and some music.
In the past I made more complex video's without any problems.

I've reported this in de support ticket on the support site. With Dxdiag.txt and description.

Regards, Robert
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm seeing some serious issues as well. I cut a couple of short sample clips, applied a 2 FX, moved the clips around and then got this error after clicking on Undo:

I also ended up with a clip that was completely blank when previewed on the timeline, but that got resolved when I closed PD and re-opened it.

While the usual suggestions of making sure your video drivers are up to date and checking for system issues still apply, it seems like there might be some additional instabilities with the initial PD2024 release
paulsw212 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 30, 2023 19:21 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
I've just posted a thread about this - I can't even launch a project without it crashing! So far I've lost all my projects and I'm going to have to go back to PD17 if I want to edit my projects. I paid a year's subscription - this is not good!

I'm not getting any kind of error message so I've no idea what's going on or what might be causing this. Does anyone have any ideas?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I've just posted a thread about this - I can't even launch a project without it crashing!

I answered your other thread so please repsond there.

You also haven't lost any projects. The most recent temporary versions of all of them should be available in the autosave folder.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

A hotfix was released via CAM for 365 subscribers to fix crash issues. Please update and check to see if it's resolved.

The perpetual hotfix should be available later today, or tomorrow. You can download it from the CL website when it's available:

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html?action=download

Cheers,
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
paulsw212 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

A hotfix was released via CAM for 365 subscribers to fix crash issues. Please update and check to see if it's resolved.

The perpetual hotfix should be available later today, or tomorrow. You can download it from the CL website when it's available:

Cheers,
PowerDirector Moderator

UPDATE: having updated drivers, disabled hardware acceleration and installed the hotfix I can now load my projects (and finally admire the hideous colours the new version comes in!) However, once I try and do anything - particularly using Effects - then it's a freeze or a crash. So using this appliction at the moment feels like spinning a roulette wheel.

Some of these elements were present in PD21 - I posted a thread about the FX crash issue - but it's all much worse in this version. Strange that the subscription versions seem to be the most unstable, buggy versions of PD I've ever seen (and I've been using it since PD10). Almost like they're releasing it without proper testing?

I'm very annoyed I took out the subscription as I assume we'll go through this nonesense every time there's an 'upgrade'. I should have gone for a stand alone and used that for the next few years and it's installed so I get to keep it. I was enjoying the better integration between PD21 and ColorDirector, but looks like it's back to PD17 for me. At least it works (and very rarely crashes)!
optodata
[Post New]
paulsw212 I responded to both of your PD21 topics but you never replied with the requested DxDiag test results. They are critical in trying to understand why you're seeing crashes
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

Cheers,
PowerDirector Moderator

Thank you foir the update. I am downloading the hotfix as we speak. When I get to editing tomorrow I'll report back to let you know if it worked. Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Maliek [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

Cheers,
PowerDirector Moderator

The program is still crashing after downloading and installing the hot fix using the CAM. Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

optodata
[Post New]
Maliek, try following the steps here to check Windows core files and then do a clean install of the latest nVidia driver. Yours is 3 month out of date, so get v537.34 which was released last week.
paulsw212 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote paulsw212 I responded to both of your PD21 topics but you never replied with the requested DxDiag test results. They are critical in trying to understand why you're seeing crashes

My apologies, in my haste to comment, I forgot to do this(!) I've now posted this on the other thread.
Maliek [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Maliek, try following the steps here to check Windows core files and then do a clean install of the latest nVidia driver. Yours is 3 month out of date, so get v537.34 which was released last week.

Thanks.

I updated my Drivers after posting the DxDiag file but a new driver came out today (v537.42 Studio Version). I followed the steps in the thread (both Windows scan and repair command prompts) and completed a clean install to the driver mentioned above. I then rebooted my machine. I'm still experiencing program crashes while completing simple tasks (play button, split, etc.).

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 21. 2023 14:28

optodata
[Post New]
Thanks for the heads-up on the new driver. Obviously the best thing to do now is to work with CL tech support and hope that they can figure out what's going on and prompt the devs to fix all these issues
CarlosSM59 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 21, 2023 16:31 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Power Director 365 (nueva edición 2024) se bloquea, sale al escritorio de Windows 10 cuando entro en el menú de transiciones.nueva edición 2024)
Con versiones anteriores no me pasaba a mí.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 21. 2023 16:44

Maliek [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the heads-up on the new driver. Obviously the best thing to do now is to work with CL tech support and hope that they can figure out what's going on and prompt the devs to fix all these issues

Will do. Appreciate the help. :
RobertCarpenter [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 10, 2019 16:00 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I would highly recommend not upgrading to version 2024 (i.e., 22.0.) What a disaster. Have not been able to produce one video yet with out crashing, locking up, endless delays on screen refresh, etc. How do I go back to the previous version?

Update (10/3/2023) -- After the third update the program is now stable. Thank You PD!

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 03. 2023 12:06

vvcarpio [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 31, 2017 07:04 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I would highly recommend not upgrading to version 2024 (i.e., 22.0.) What a disaster. Have not been able to produce one video yet with out crashing, locking up, endless delays on screen refresh, etc. How do I go back to the previous version?

Robert

Same experience here. A disaster. Crashes. Waveform does not genarate even after removing all unused content and removing empty tracks and saving. Audoi Mixer keyframe shortcuts gone. Overall very slow. Either buggy or maybe now needs higher computer specs. This should never have made into a release. Sloppy QA. Seems rushed. We should not be sending DXDiag data if they held up to high standards on their end. Unconscionable. They should allow us to download the previous version while they fix the problems. Good thing for me I have the previous version in a second, desktop PC. I edit there when I can unless I have to use my laptop where I unwisely installed the new, 2024 version.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 24. 2023 17:14

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

The program is still crashing after downloading and installing the hot fix using the CAM.

Hello,

Another hotfix was released that includes the following updates:

- Fixes the issue that the program cannot correctly launch with specific Intel VGA drivers.
- Improves program stability when splitting video clips and then resizing in the preview window.
- Improves program stability when applying style effects and then moving clips to another track.

Please update and check if this finally fixes your crash issue.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do