Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Jump to begining of a clip
drummerchuckb1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 17, 2022 22:09 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Previously, I could click on a clip and jump right to the begining of it. This is important to me because I make videos with lots of short clips and getting right to the start of a specific clip is helpful for editing quickly. However, now I get the following pop up when I click on a clip:

"The playhead will not automatically jump to a clip you select. You need to drag the playhead to the clip to start playback."

Basically, I want the "playhead" to automatically jump to a clip I select. Is there a way to do this in the new version?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Previously, I could click on a clip and jump right to the begining of it. This is important to me because I make videos with lots of short clips and getting right to the start of a specific clip is helpful for editing quickly. However, now I get the following pop up when I click on a clip:

"The playhead will not automatically jump to a clip you select. You need to drag the playhead to the clip to start playback."

Basically, I want the "playhead" to automatically jump to a clip I select. Is there a way to do this in the new version?

You might try a double click initially on a video clip to bring up the Edit menu. Then a single click on other clips should work. I'd probably "Don't show again" with that warning.

Jeff
drummerchuckb1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 17, 2022 22:09 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]

You might try a double click initially on a video clip to bring up the Edit menu. Then a single click on other clips should work. I'd probably "Don't show again" with that warning.

Jeff

Thanks, this works. You have to click "don't show again" first for this to work, though. I also found that clicking on a clip and then hitting the PageUp key jumped to the begining of the clip, which is useful if you want to jump to a clip without openeing the editor.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks, this works. You have to click "don't show again" first for this to work, though. I also found that clicking on a clip and then hitting the PageUp key jumped to the begining of the clip, which is useful if you want to jump to a clip without openeing the editor.

Yes, that would work too if you want to keep the media library active as it toggles to "Clip" mode vs "Movie" mode so the scrubber jumps to beginning of the clip for Clip mode. Not sure what design intent really was, but it really slowed up typical editing tasks as it adds another key stroke.

Jeff
Stoneware [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 19, 2021 19:04 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
This "feature" is so annoying now. Why change such a major piece of functionality and make it more difficult to use? If anything, this should have been a configurable parameter to either move the head or not. Simple. Now everyone has to disrupt their workflow and click more buttons or use the mouse. Awful implementation.
David62277 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 15, 2021 12:44 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
I absolutely HATE this new "feature" I also make videos comprised of many small clips, and it makes it more time consuming. I have to click on the clip, then hit home/end (depending where I need to be)... but if the playhead isn't within the clip it jumps to the very beginning/end of the entire video, and I have to then figure out where I was... so annoying.
paulsw212 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 30, 2023 19:21 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
So pleased to see this thread as this is such a major irritant in the new version. Why would you what to remove this functionality? what does it add to the application?

I use the PDSpeed.exe scripts to speed up editing (using keystrokes) and a number of these utilise the former functionality of the scrubber jumping to the beginning of the clip. So the removal of this functionality has messed that up a bit too.

Very frustrating! But thanks for the tips on workarounds.

Paul
504roadtrips
Newbie Location: New Orleans, Louisiana Joined: Apr 11, 2017 20:48 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Once again, something they "fixed" that wasn't broken. I've spent the last hour trying to recover some functionality that I had before. Most of my keyboard shortcuts quit working, and importing them back in didn't work.

What benefit is there to clicking on a clip and not having the timeline marker not go to the beginning of the clip? Completely useless.

I can get used to the rearrangement of some of the on-screen functions, and I like the updated look of the UI, but why take away functionality? 504 Road Trips
https://www.youtube.com/504roadtrips
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Previously, I could click on a clip and jump right to the begining of it. This is important to me because I make videos with lots of short clips and getting right to the start of a specific clip is helpful for editing quickly. However, now I get the following pop up when I click on a clip:

Thankfully this is one feature that has returned in the latest update
504roadtrips
Newbie Location: New Orleans, Louisiana Joined: Apr 11, 2017 20:48 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thankfully this is one feature that has returned in the latest update

What latest update? The problem is in the update from September 19th. Are you getting a new update since then?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 24. 2023 00:51

Stoneware [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 19, 2021 19:04 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]

What latest update? The problem is in the update from September 19th. Are you getting a new update since then?

I just installed a new update since then, but the head still doesn't go to the beginning of an added clip. Not sure what he's talking about, unless I missed something. Still not user friendly to say the least.
504roadtrips
[Post New]

I just installed a new update since then, but the head still doesn't go to the beginning of an added clip. Not sure what he's talking about, unless I missed something. Still not user friendly to say the least.

There's a new update released 9/25/23. Hopefully that'll fix the problem.
paulsw212 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 30, 2023 19:21 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
Sadly, it doesn't!

Paul
JimJam [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 31, 2020 05:30 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Awful this update, who thought this was a good idea?
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

Hello,

CyberLink has provided users with a method to restore all 2024 versions to the previous playhead behavior. Check this post for the details:

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/119517.page

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
Mhd [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 05, 2023 10:53 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]

Hello,

CyberLink has provided users with a method to restore all 2024 versions to the previous playhead behavior. Check this post for the details:

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Finally.. you saved my life
Thank you
AristoCraft
Newbie Location: Los Angeles Joined: Oct 08, 2016 20:36 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]

Hello,

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Thank you! But it should be the norm.
ivanb52 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 28, 2017 22:41 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]

Hello,

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Thanks - the change in default was annoying.
Rather than needing to redo this fix after every update, can you make it an option under edit / preferences / editing ?

Ian
AshWilliams [Avatar]
Member Location: Michigan Joined: Mar 28, 2013 23:38 Messages: 109 Offline
[Post New]

Thank you! But it should be the norm.

Funny thing, the new way is "the norm". Filmora, Premiere, Davinci Resolve, and many other professional editing software do not jump to clips. It was a Powerdirector thing really.

Though, I can understand how annoying the change is after using Powerdirector all these years.

Ash