Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD Keeps Crashing When Not at Home with WIFI
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The OP previous DxDiag.txt indicates that Win 11 home is installed. Win 10 required me to create new documents folders without the onedrive and set them for use. My Win 11 installation last year allows me to bypass adding the onedrive for backup. It was optional. I have an 8 TB external drive for that backup. MS office default is to save in your onedrive account in the cloud. Adding that onedrive for the documents folder was never necessary at all. You use Save As.. to save it to a location on the local drives if desired.

The purpose of having onedrive in the documents folder is so that users don’t lose their documents if the pc went bad or got stolen. You have to pay monthly fees for large amount of data to be stored.
Timrg001 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 21, 2023 03:43 Messages: 53 Offline
[Post New]

I'm not sure what you want them to tell you, maybe they will have something, but as mentioned prior, they currently use C:\Users\UserName\Documents\CyberLink\ and you elected to have "Documents" folder an active OneDrive sync folder so it will be C:\Users\timrg\OneDrive\Documents\CyberLink\ and files are constantly sync'd for you unless you disable and/or pause when not on a robust network.

A basic overview of OneDrive for backup is here:
https://pureinfotech.com/backup-files-onedrive-windows-11/

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. This is useful.

I have also scheduled a call with Microsoft this Friday so will try and gets some questions answered also.

Tim
Timrg001 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The OP previous DxDiag.txt indicates that Win 11 home is installed. Win 10 required me to create new documents folders without the onedrive and set them for use. My Win 11 installation last year allows me to bypass adding the onedrive for backup. It was optional. I have an 8 TB external drive for that backup. MS office default is to save in your onedrive account in the cloud. Adding that onedrive for the documents folder was never necessary at all. You use Save As.. to save it to a location on the local drives if desired.

The purpose of having onedrive in the documents folder is so that users don’t lose their documents if the pc went bad or got stolen. You have to pay monthly fees for large amount of data to be stored.

Thanks for your response.

My wife and I were using Onedrive as everything syncs between two laptops, cell phones etc., so either of us can get access to docs etc. We could live without it though to be honest if this is causing the problem. I have a 4tb external drive that I can use for back up of important docs.

Even though I have completely removed OneDrive from my laptop (unlinked and uninstalled app). I have gone beyond bypassing using Onedrive as backup but PD is still saving to Onedrive folders?? as per my earlier screenshot. I am speaking to Microsoft this Friday to see what they say.

Thanks for your help once more,

Tim
Timrg001 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The OP previous DxDiag.txt indicates that Win 11 home is installed. Win 10 required me to create new documents folders without the onedrive and set them for use. My Win 11 installation last year allows me to bypass adding the onedrive for backup. It was optional. I have an 8 TB external drive for that backup. MS office default is to save in your onedrive account in the cloud. Adding that onedrive for the documents folder was never necessary at all. You use Save As.. to save it to a location on the local drives if desired.

I have now received an answer from CL re my questions about Onedrive as detailed below:

Hi Tim,
Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.
We understand that you would like to know if Onedrive causes performance issues and if able to change your saved files. We are more than willing to assist you.
With reference to your query, please be advised that the PowerDirector performances leverage not only the hardware but also the source media quality, the complexity of the project, and the background software/services like syncing files with OneDrive when using PowerDirector.
You may try the following tips to fine-tune PowerDirector performance when editing high-bitrate or complex projects and for the crashing.
1. Enable the option "Enable shadow files...." in PowerDirector Preferences-General Settings. Use the shadow file quality 1280x720 or lower for shadow files. During video editing, PowerDirector will use shadow files for previewing to save system resources to keep decoding the source video.
2. Disable the option "Enable continuous thumbnails...." in PowerDirector Preferences->General settings.
3. In PowerDirector Preferences->Display settings, choose "High Preview Resolution" or lower for the Preview Quality setting.
4. Enable all options in PowerDirector Preferences->Hardware Acceleration settings.
5. In the PowerDirector Edit room, temporarily disable the tracks you are not editing.
To change the saved path we suggest clicking the setting button to open the Preferences window, and then selecting the Project tab.
Autosave project every: select this to automatically save your project every specified number of minutes, so you don't lose your changes by accident. If you want to set a specific location for the auto-save files, click the Browse button and select a folder location on your computer.
You may also select the setting button > Preferences > File > Export to
If you are still encountering the same concern, please provide the information listed below for us to diagnose your concern and assist you better.
1. Full page screenshot of the error message, if able.
Please clarify if you have sent the issue reporter back to us and provide the email address used (and let us know).
2. Full Screenshot of the Product Version
2.1. Launch the software.
2.2. Click the Logo of the software or the word of the software to see the Product Version or SR number.
To take a full screenshot and how to save it refer to the steps below and/or the tutorial video: https://youtu.be/jHOyguBgqDM
1. Press PrtScrn on the upper right side of the keyboard.
2. Open Windows Paint (press the Windows button, type the word Paint then click on the result to open the program).
3. Paste the screenshot (press Ctrl+V), then save the file (in .jpg format).
Please feel free to contact us back for further clarification or assistance related to CyberLink products. Use the link below to get back to us:
https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
Thanks and Regards,
John
CyberLink Technical Support

I have spoken to Microsoft also and they have helped me to remove Onedrive documents from my laptop and now anything I create saves on the laptop and is not shared within Onedrive.

As there were a lot of residual files pertaining to PD on my hard drive, I removed the program, deleted everything, did not save personal settings and reinstalled after a reboot. PD now just saves on the laptop.

Early results - less crashing, still laggy - especially when using title designer and adding anything more that 2-3 separate text boxes with in/out animations - there is now no apparent performance difference between being on WIFI, 5G or no internet, although when not connected to the internet, PD prompts me that my connection has been lost and about 9/10th of thumbnails in PiP and other designers are not available (I guess I need to download what I need first when connected).

To give you an example of the lap on title designer, if I edit, create some basic title lines with animations and click ok, I will need to count to 5 before PD activates once more and I am able to select the save button e.g. If I try to move around that title clip thereafter, I have to count to 5 again to wait for it to react to where |I have tried to drag it etc. I have tried to create these same titles as templates in a different project so I can access them in the place I want but this does not help.

Anyway I am going to try what CL suggests on the next project - at least the crashing seems to have reduced, albeit with no real improvement in general performance.

Thanks to you all once again for your help and I will update this page in the coming weeks.

Tim
Timrg001 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Having now tried to create a new project similar to previous projects that I worked on, without Onedrive and with all Cyberlink material being stored on my laptop, I still find that the program crashes as soon as I click the play button to view the preview of the timeline. It works ok (as before) if I have my home WIFI connection.

Everytime I load PD up, my project loads very slowly up to about 60% and, after a wait, it rapidly reaches 100%. I then wait a few seconds for the timeline to load before clicking the play button. the play button then causes the program to freeze. If I wait, nothing happens. I then click the play button again and I get the PD has stopped working grey mist notification.

I am assured by CL that I do not need an internet connection but the program keeps telling me that my connection has been lost if I turn off WIFI.

I am not sure what else I can do other that to try a different video editor