Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video/audio lag - mismatch in the produce phase
wrswaim [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 20, 2022 00:57 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
I have a 10 minute video for my podcast, all is well with it, audio/video match perfectly. But no matter how i have the settings for producing it into it final form the audio is behind the video. Never happened before and I made no changes to settings. HELP!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I think you might be working with a clip that has a variable frame rate, which is common when recording with cell phones. Many video editing apps have trouble keeping the A/V in sync with these kinds of clips, and the best approach for existing clips is to convert them to constant frame rate using something like Handbrake. This discussion has a video tutorial for doing so
wrswaim [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I think you might be working with a clip that has a variable frame rate, which is common when recording with cell phones. Many video editing apps have trouble keeping the A/V in sync with these kinds of clips, and the best approach for existing clips is to convert them to constant frame rate using something like Handbrake. This discussion has a video tutorial for doing so

Thank you. I usually don't do recordings on my phone, it's done with a Canon camera and recorded in OBS. The recordings are in sync and fine. It's only in the final production of the final mp4 that it's suddenly out of sync. It's never happened before and I've changed nothing from any previous recordings. It's very strange. I'll try Handbrake.

Thanks again
wrswaim [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thank you. I usually don't do recordings on my phone, it's done with a Canon camera and recorded in OBS. The recordings are in sync and fine. It's only in the final production of the final mp4 that it's suddenly out of sync. It's never happened before and I've changed nothing from any previous recordings. It's very strange. I'll try Handbrake.

Thanks again

Justtried handbrake, several passes, tweakingthe settings each timeandstill the video lags behind the audio. So frustrating. Thank you for trying to help.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
No need to post in the other discussion. Are you willing to share the clip here on the forum? You say you haven't changed anything but something's very wrong if nothing you've done makes any difference now.

You can upload the source clip to OneDrive or Google Drive and paste a publicly shareable link to it here. See this FAQ for more details.

Just in case it's something specific about your exact project, you could use File | Pack Project Materials... and save everything to a cloud folder so other people can see how things go on their systems

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 25. 2023 18:28

wrswaim [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote No need to post in the other discussion. Are you willing to share the clip here on the forum? You say you haven't changed anything but something's very wrong if nothing you've done makes any difference now.

You can upload the source clip to OneDrive or Google Drive and paste a publicly shareable link to it here. See this FAQ for more details.

Just in case it's something specific about your exact project, you could use File | Pack Project Materials... and save everything to a cloud folder so other people can see how things go on their systems

Hi! First, thank you for your assistance. I did click on thatFAQ and it said I didn't have sufficient privileges to access it (??).

No prob at all sharing it - here is the OneDrive link to the produced final clip:https://1drv.ms/v/s!ArhgvjjCUVbzho8XJ8_hVMBQh0whJw?e=vGsM5o

Here is the original source clip: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArhgvjjCUVbzho8Y6cI_yQQOw1VzXg?e=CEAgxZ

For a 10 minute video this is really getting strange and complicated. If handbrake can't fix it, I don't know what will. All I know is I have produced dozens and dozens of videos and never had this happen like this before. I usually drop my stuff in PD, produce it and there it is all nice and tidyand I am done and on to the next thing. I never make any changes to settings. What is weirder is the source file is fine - no sync problems at all, normal as can be.

Thank you - look forward to seeing if it happens to you or anyone else.
optodata
[Post New]
Ha we're trading "insufficient privileges" errors

In my case, it looks like CL deleted the post that described how to share a OneDrive or Google Drive file, and without that knowledge, you shared a link that can only be accessed by signing in to your OD account:

Try this Microsoft article instead, and follow the steps under Share by using "Copy link" and uncheck the Allow editing box so nobody can change or delete it.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Feb 26. 2023 01:41

wrswaim [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Ha we're trading "insufficient priviledges" errors

In my case, it looks like CL deleted the post that described how to share a OneDrive or Google Drive file, and without that knowledge, you shared a link that can only be accessed by signing in to your OD account:

Try this Microsoft article instead, and follow the steps under Share by using "Copy link" and uncheck the Allow editing box so nobody can delete it.

Oh wow that is weird too - i set it up so anyone can see it and even edit it. LOL I'm just not battin' 1000.

And it gets weirder - I have checked the original recordings countless times today (the original clips of me talking as recorded in the beginning) and they were perfectly in sync. After I sent that to you here I looked one more time before going to bed and now even they are a split second delayed. I wanted to scream!

So here is what I will do for the moment and will report back: Since it isn;t a ton of recording, I will go back, re-record the sessions and try to piece it together all over again - and see what happens then.

So give me a day or two and will report back here - I may save all of us time. I am immensely grateful for the time spent with my problem already.

Talk to ya soon.
optodata
[Post New]
One last suggestion is to try playing the produced clips with a different media player (like VLC or PotPLayer) or even on another device to see if the sync issue might be related to a specific app or even device.

UPDATE: I was able to download and view your produced clip, and I don't see any places where the audio has gone out of sync.

I really think you need to try using other apps for viewing and/or look into why you might be having playback issues with you PC. Everything seems to be normal from where I sit.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 26. 2023 13:44

wrswaim [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote One last suggestion is to try playing the produced clips with a different media player (like VLC or PotPLayer) or even on another device to see if the sync issue might be related to a specific app or even device.

UPDATE: I was able to download and view your produced clip, and I don't see any places where the audio has gone out of sync.

I really think you need to try using other apps for viewing and/or look into why you might be having playback issues with you PC. Everything seems to be normal from where I sit.

That'svery interesting. I used VLC, Movies & TV (Win 11 stock player), and others and all were lagging. I played other previous vids and all were fine on same players.

But - in the end - I recorded all the raw video again, put it into PD 365, used all normal previous settings, all same computers, no changes, and it came out in sync, fine, beautiful and already uploaded it to the podcast websites for release.

THAT was a very weird experience, one I don't want to experience again. Thank you immensely for all the help!!!!!

wrswaim
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote UPDATE: I was able to download and view your produced clip, and I don't see any places where the audio has gone out of sync.

I downloaded as well, and it's clearly out of sync for me. Tested on 5 different computers, 3-5 players (PotPlayer, VLC, WMP, PlayerFab, Movies & TV) on each computer.

At least redoing fixed the issue whatever it was.

Jeff
wrswaim [Avatar]
[Post New]

I downloaded as well, and it's clearly out of sync for me. Tested on 5 different computers, 3-5 players (PotPlayer, VLC, WMP, PlayerFab, Movies & TV) on each computer.

At least redoing fixed the issue whatever it was.

Jeff

Well Jeff, It's doing it again. Recorded video clips are fine, in sync, but after it has been produced (two podcasts I just did today) the lag is small but noticeable. This time Handbrake helped it enough but can still notice a slight lag. I don't. Last week did some podcasting and no problem - and again, nothing done to change any settings at all on anything. Plus this PC is the strongest, fastest and with the most memory and CPU speed I have ever had.

Throwing my hands up in the air,
Walt
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
That produced clip in the 6th thread of this post shows a video lag of about 250 ms or ¼ of a sec. when using VLC. That is about 7-8 video frames at 29.97 fps. Using the J and K keys on VLC to synchronize the video with the audio.

One could simply unlink the video and audio on the timeline. Move the audio forward 7-8 frames. Relink them Produce with SVRT. Takes only about 7 sec. For the 10+ min. video. You can apply the same principle to all your videos once you determine the necessary audio lag.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Well Jeff, It's doing it again. Recorded video clips are fine, in sync, but after it has been produced (two podcasts I just did today) the lag is small but noticeable. This time Handbrake helped it enough but can still notice a slight lag. I don't. Last week did some podcasting and no problem - and again, nothing done to change any settings at all on anything. Plus this PC is the strongest, fastest and with the most memory and CPU speed I have ever had.

Throwing my hands up in the air,
Walt

I was never able to download your source, just your PD produced file which had a slight lag in every player I tried. The issue sure sounds like PD's often poor handling of variable fps or variable bitrate source files. This will raise its head randomly as it depends how variable the source really is. I know you said you've made no changes to settings, but how and what you are recording with OBS could have big effect on both fps and bitrate and potentially lead to sync issue in PD.

You might try some settings in OBS, like setting a constant bitrate output, CBR. Your last produced file was 29.97fps, not sure if that matched OBS source video either which is usually common fps so 30 or 60fps vs NTSC.

I'd try to be very consistent between OBS capture and PD produce to prevent as many translations as possible and see if you have any better sync luck.

Jeff
wrswaim [Avatar]
[Post New]

I was never able to download your source, just your PD produced file which had a slight lag in every player I tried. The issue sure sounds like PD's often poor handling of variable fps or variable bitrate source files. This will raise its head randomly as it depends how variable the source really is. I know you said you've made no changes to settings, but how and what you are recording with OBS could have big effect on both fps and bitrate and potentially lead to sync issue in PD.

You might try some settings in OBS, like setting a constant bitrate output, CBR. Your last produced file was 29.97fps, not sure if that matched OBS source video either which is usually common fps so 30 or 60fps vs NTSC.

I'd try to be very consistent between OBS capture and PD produce to prevent as many translations as possible and see if you have any better sync luck.

Jeff

Thank you for those suggestions, I'm definitely going to try them. I've only had this happen once, months ago, but it was a fluke, I didn't change anything, and it's done fine till now. In between the last time last month and now I had a couple of recordings and they were fine. So it's just so random after months of routine editing and production of the final video.

I'll let you know how it goes for sure. Thanks again.
wrswaim [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thank you for those suggestions, I'm definitely going to try them. I've only had this happen once, months ago, but it was a fluke, I didn't change anything, and it's done fine till now. In between the last time last month and now I had a couple of recordings and they were fine. So it's just so random after months of routine editing and production of the final video.

I'll let you know how it goes for sure. Thanks again.

Hi Jeff

Well I tweeked things around in OBS but reset back to previous normal setting as it didn;t change anything. BUT in Power Dir. I set my own format for production of the final video with only one change (per your suggestion) - I set it at 30 fps (appeared to be at 24 or 25 before). Now each video is coming out way smoother and normal looking.

Thank you!!
Walt