Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Like the message below, the "2012" Blu-Ray will not play. Here is some information:

CyberLink PowerDVD 9 Ultra (Upgrade from PowerDVD 7 originally), build 2528
Graphics Card: HD 4580 512MB GDDR3 PCI - E, DUAL DVI-I/TVO

DVD's seem to play fine and I am able to play other Blu-Rays such as Interview with the Vampire. However, the 2012 will only attempt to load and go right back to a home screen asking me if I want to Add the Movie to my collection.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I've updated my Radeon Driver and System Update!

Nate
It TURNS OUT, that the problem was not with PowerDVD 7,8, or 9 at all but in fact the ANTIVIRUS program.

It seems that for some reason or another BitDefender 2010 which worked flawlessly in version 2009 has compatibility issues with PowerDVD. This is a documented issue at BitDefender dating back to this year's Antivirus release date in September 2010.

I tested this by performing a fresh installation of Windows 7, and installing PowerDVD 7, 8, and 9. Meaning the only program installation was PowerDVD WITHOUT a connection to the internet. The Blu-Ray player worked like a charm.

I then installed BitDefender 2010 and as SOON as I finished and started up the PowerDVD software, I received the error that 'PowerDVD has stopped working.'

Quite unfortunate as I really do like this AntiVirus software. As soon as I uninstalled the software, PowerDVD booted right back up and worked flawlessly.

I've since installed a version of ESET Nod32 as a Free Trial and it seems to work great. I suppose now is as good a time as any to switch Anti-Virus programs. I only wish I had discovered this BEFORE I upgraded to BitDefender 2010.

Perhaps there is a fix for this but for the moment, this issue is RESOLVED.

Nate
Hi Michael:

Thanks for getting back to me.

It's been a while since I built this computer but thinking back I actually received the PowerDVD 7 software WITH the LiteOn Blu-Ray Hardware (Model: DH-401S08C). I am not quite sure if that makes the software qualify as retail.

From then on, I purchased Upgrades through the CyberLink website to the PowerDVD 8 Ultra and subsequently PowerDVD 9 Ultra.

So in short:
PowerDVD 7 Hardware Manufacturer->PowerDVD 8 Ultra Upgrade->PowerDVD 9 Ultra Upgrade

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Nate
PowerDVD full Version: CyberLink PowerDVD 9
PowerDVD SR Number: Will Not Open That Far
Operating System: Troubleshot with Fresh Installs of Win7/Vista Ultimate
Is your PowerDVD a Retail product or bundles with HW? Retail
Used VGA: ATI Radeon HD 4850 GDDR3 PCI-E
Used VGA driver version: 8.671.0.0
Used Audio device: Realtek High Definition Audio
Used Audio device driver version : 6.0.1.5391
Which kind of display connection (HDMI/DisplayPort/VGA/DVI)VI
Are you using singel or dual monitor environmentUAL
Are you using clone or extended mode (if use two display):EXTENDED
What kind of Antivirus SW are you using:BitDefender 2010, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

The detailed issue description:

After receiving a "Patch Update" request over the summer for PowerDVD 8 Ultra, I have no longer been able to play Blu-Rays. DVDs will not work with CyberLink PowerDVD 8 Ultra either but WILL work with Windows Media Center. I've done everything I can possibly think of to troubleshoot the problem but nothing is working. Here is a "short" list of what's been done:

*Upgrade to Ultra 9: Not Successful
*Fresh Installation of Windows 7 (Developer): Not Successful (Worked fine all summer running this OS)
*Fresh Installation of Windows Vista Ultimate: Not Successful
*Installed Original CyberLink PowerDVD 7 software on Vista OS: Not Successful

I have ran out of ideas how to solve this problem. I thought it might have been a compatibility issue with PowerDVD 8 Ultra and Windows 7 but it had previously worked perfectly until I received the request to Patch the Software.

Has anyone had this problem or know of how to fix? I have also contacted technical support and they sent me a few Registry Editor hacks which unfortunately did not work either.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Nate
Go to: