Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 7/8 and 9 Ultra Not Responding On Load (Win7/Vista Ultimate)
Nate [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 13, 2009 21:21 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
PowerDVD full Version: CyberLink PowerDVD 9
PowerDVD SR Number: Will Not Open That Far
Operating System: Troubleshot with Fresh Installs of Win7/Vista Ultimate
Is your PowerDVD a Retail product or bundles with HW? Retail
Used VGA: ATI Radeon HD 4850 GDDR3 PCI-E
Used VGA driver version: 8.671.0.0
Used Audio device: Realtek High Definition Audio
Used Audio device driver version : 6.0.1.5391
Which kind of display connection (HDMI/DisplayPort/VGA/DVI)VI
Are you using singel or dual monitor environmentUAL
Are you using clone or extended mode (if use two display):EXTENDED
What kind of Antivirus SW are you using:BitDefender 2010, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

The detailed issue description:

After receiving a "Patch Update" request over the summer for PowerDVD 8 Ultra, I have no longer been able to play Blu-Rays. DVDs will not work with CyberLink PowerDVD 8 Ultra either but WILL work with Windows Media Center. I've done everything I can possibly think of to troubleshoot the problem but nothing is working. Here is a "short" list of what's been done:

*Upgrade to Ultra 9: Not Successful
*Fresh Installation of Windows 7 (Developer): Not Successful (Worked fine all summer running this OS)
*Fresh Installation of Windows Vista Ultimate: Not Successful
*Installed Original CyberLink PowerDVD 7 software on Vista OS: Not Successful

I have ran out of ideas how to solve this problem. I thought it might have been a compatibility issue with PowerDVD 8 Ultra and Windows 7 but it had previously worked perfectly until I received the request to Patch the Software.

Has anyone had this problem or know of how to fix? I have also contacted technical support and they sent me a few Registry Editor hacks which unfortunately did not work either.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Nate
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Dear Nate,

do you use the PDVD 9 FUll Version or do you use the upgrade Version?

if you use the upgrade Version from what Version do you upgrade (from 7 or 8 or do you upgrade 7 > 8 > 9)
If you us upgrade, does your original PDVD was Bundled (if yes which vendor)?

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Nate [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Michael:

Thanks for getting back to me.

It's been a while since I built this computer but thinking back I actually received the PowerDVD 7 software WITH the LiteOn Blu-Ray Hardware (Model: DH-401S08C). I am not quite sure if that makes the software qualify as retail.

From then on, I purchased Upgrades through the CyberLink website to the PowerDVD 8 Ultra and subsequently PowerDVD 9 Ultra.

So in short:
PowerDVD 7 Hardware Manufacturer->PowerDVD 8 Ultra Upgrade->PowerDVD 9 Ultra Upgrade

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Nate
youre [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 15, 2009 04:27 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

Any help greatly appreciated.

Nate

tbh mate all you need is the codec & not the bloated cyberlink app, then you can use any media player.

or you can simply use the FREE VLC (VideoLan) player for much media

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
Nate [Avatar]
[Post New]
It TURNS OUT, that the problem was not with PowerDVD 7,8, or 9 at all but in fact the ANTIVIRUS program.

It seems that for some reason or another BitDefender 2010 which worked flawlessly in version 2009 has compatibility issues with PowerDVD. This is a documented issue at BitDefender dating back to this year's Antivirus release date in September 2010.

I tested this by performing a fresh installation of Windows 7, and installing PowerDVD 7, 8, and 9. Meaning the only program installation was PowerDVD WITHOUT a connection to the internet. The Blu-Ray player worked like a charm.

I then installed BitDefender 2010 and as SOON as I finished and started up the PowerDVD software, I received the error that 'PowerDVD has stopped working.'

Quite unfortunate as I really do like this AntiVirus software. As soon as I uninstalled the software, PowerDVD booted right back up and worked flawlessly.

I've since installed a version of ESET Nod32 as a Free Trial and it seems to work great. I suppose now is as good a time as any to switch Anti-Virus programs. I only wish I had discovered this BEFORE I upgraded to BitDefender 2010.

Perhaps there is a fix for this but for the moment, this issue is RESOLVED.

Nate