Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Oh- you are capturing SD recordings, not HD? The camera does support that (and also supports in-camera transcoding from the HD to SD DV AVI format...)

Not sure how HDVSplit works with that, if at all, though...

You should be able to capture the SD DV AVI files from your old MiniDV tapes no problem from firewire, just treat it like a miniDV camcorder.
There should be a setting on the camera to switch the firewire connection to SD DV, rather than HD, which might help... should be in the system menu, firewire connection, DV/HDV setting.

The HD recordings on the Canon cameras are VERY nice, so I don't think you would regret the purchase going forward, especially how it has (should have) backward compatibility with your SD DV tapes. Both miniDV formats should be a lot easier to deal with than AVCHD cameras! Tape is sometimes slower/more awkward, but it has its own archive media

You can download the manual here:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=177&modelid=16206#DownloadDetailAct

You want the "Setup menu": (p23) press "FUNC" menu button, then scroll down to the bottom icon (like a little list), that is the Setup menu... or, hold down the FUNC button for >1 second, it will jump there.
You can then set the recording format for NEW recordings (DV, HDV), under "REC/In setup"; "HD Standard" can be HDV, or DV-Wide (SD) etc..
Under "PLAY/Out" setup, check "DV Output": you might want to set it for "DV Locked" for SD recordings, though it should automatically switch... (this setting will enable the HD->SD DV transcoding)... can also set the "PLAYBACK STD" to DV or HDV...

The HV30 is HDV (MPEG2 tape), not AVCHD, so that doesn't help.

I have an original HV10, and I use "HDVSplit" free program to capture clips from my Canon HDV camcorder, it works very well AND I get scene-detection separated clips, automatically named for the date/time I recorded the video. Very handy & strongly recommended. I have no idea why/how a shareware/free program can do this while all commercial editing programs STILL do not have this feature!!
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/HDVSplit
http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

The captured clips (MPEG2-TS format, .mts) can be read/edited natively by PD8 and smart-rendered to HDV video extremely fast.

That said, Jeff, what format are you recording in? "regular" 1440x1080, 60i?
Or are you using the special 24fps movie mode, or some other progressive/less standard mode? Is it NTSC or PAL? That might cause a problem.. but, being free, can't hurt to try :
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: Yep it re-encodes again when burning i'm afraid..
I agree that cyberlink really comes close it is a good piece of software, and worth every penny..

Damn if the price for a bluray burner and discs was that low here in denmark i would by them instantly!
I have to pay minimum 300$ for the burner and if i buy the disc from germany without the danish taxes i get them for 7$ each

I got an LG WH08LS20K for that $100ish price at Newegg but it was a big sale. It's closer to $200 now (edited above).
So far BD authoring is kind of a pain;
my lazy solution is just producing HD MPG2 and AVCHD files, and I play them straight off PC network shares or USB drives to my LG BD390 bluray player. The Panasonic SDHC card method isn't quite as easy, but is close.

Is it a pain because of the encoding time or software troubles?

Both. Sometimes crashes or messes up, no control over the res/bitrate in the burning module (as you saw)- but then you lose the timeline chapter marks if you use a produced file (and, in any case, the author module doesn't use the chapter mark names, just the times)..
little control over the menu styles/layouts...
Sometimes it forces re-encode of produced files (eg captured from HDTV), which takes forever and 2x the space, and then doesn't fit...
Sometimes I do my authoring in Corel VideoStudio, but it is buggy/limited also, just in different ways No one solution.
Quote: Yep it re-encodes again when burning i'm afraid..
I agree that cyberlink really comes close it is a good piece of software, and worth every penny..

Damn if the price for a bluray burner and discs was that low here in denmark i would by them instantly!
I have to pay minimum 300$ for the burner and if i buy the disc from germany without the danish taxes i get them for 7$ each

I got an LG WH08LS20K for that $100ish price at Newegg but it was a big sale. It's closer to $200 now (edited above).
So far BD authoring is kind of a pain;
my lazy solution is just producing HD MPG2 and AVCHD files, and I play them straight off PC network shares or USB drives to my LG BD390 bluray player. The Panasonic SDHC card method isn't quite as easy, but is close.
Quote:
Quote: Since the Create Disk module section only has 3 "quality" / resolution settings for burning AVCHD disks (SD 720x480, HD 1440x1080, and HD 1920x1080), and none of those appear to have quality settings for AVCHD (eg bitrate),
the best option is probably to render an AVCHD video file(s) in the Produce section first, and then import those file(s) in the Create Disk content section.

You should be able to s
You can make your files whatever resolution you want, 720p, 1080 or whatever, I'm not sure what happens if you try to create a disk w/ 720p source files and use the 1440x1080 disk setting, it might re-render it, oops.

Suggest you try 1920x1080 first w/ 16Mbps max bitrate first, and see how the quality of the video file is (you might get poor results if you have lots of detail/motion); if it's poor, you can try to reduce the resolution also (first 1440, then to 720p) w/ same bitrate and see if it is acceptable. Then you can try going to the Create Disk section.

The Create Disk section for AVCHD disks, by the way, DOES have a "removeable disk" option where you can create a "disk on an SDHC card".
This should play back well on the Panasonic bluray players w/ SD card,
and is likely faster/easier than DVD-R. It probably would support the higher bitrate also, just to test.
This won't work well for permanent storage or distribution to others, but is a quick way to test, hopefully.

Thank you so much for the answer!, it helps me understand it all a little better.. I tried to produce the movie in 720P and then burn it later with 1920x1080 and this did the trick for me.. my bluray player know runs it fluint off the disc! hurra When putting the video on SD card there are no problems what so ever..
It's good that i have a solution, however when doing it this way it re encodes the movie when burning witch i'm afraid takes a lot of time.. So the movie making process is quite slow (the reason why i bought a new video camera was so that i did not have to fiddle around with tapes) but this ends up taking the sae amount of time im afraid.. Cyberlink should put a 720P res in there create disc menu, so i wouldn't have to re-encode..

You will have to re-encode at least once, to downgrade from 24Mbps 1080 to a bitrate the DVD-R will accept, so that's one...
did it re-encode again from 720p movie, in the Create Disk/burn section, back to 1080? That's only once at least.

If you get a BluRay burner, then you shouldn't need to re-encode, as it has enough disk space and speed to handle lots of 24Mbps 1080 videos, but they are still like ~$200 (and disks are $3-5 each)

You should be able to quickly author to the SD card, w/o re-encoding, if you want to make quick (but temporary) videos at least.

None of these software packages are perfect, cyberlink comes closest so far, but I have like 3 of them to get all my work done
Since the Create Disk module section only has 3 "quality" / resolution settings for burning AVCHD disks (SD 720x480, HD 1440x1080, and HD 1920x1080), and none of those appear to have quality settings for AVCHD (eg bitrate),
the best option is probably to render an AVCHD video file(s) in the Produce section first, and then import those file(s) in the Create Disk content section.

You should be able to s
You can make your files whatever resolution you want, 720p, 1080 or whatever, I'm not sure what happens if you try to create a disk w/ 720p source files and use the 1440x1080 disk setting, it might re-render it, oops.

Suggest you try 1920x1080 first w/ 16Mbps max bitrate first, and see how the quality of the video file is (you might get poor results if you have lots of detail/motion); if it's poor, you can try to reduce the resolution also (first 1440, then to 720p) w/ same bitrate and see if it is acceptable. Then you can try going to the Create Disk section.

The Create Disk section for AVCHD disks, by the way, DOES have a "removeable disk" option where you can create a "disk on an SDHC card".
This should play back well on the Panasonic bluray players w/ SD card,
and is likely faster/easier than DVD-R. It probably would support the higher bitrate also, just to test.
This won't work well for permanent storage or distribution to others, but is a quick way to test, hopefully.
What is your bitrate, especially at the stuttering points? (You can check in PowerDVD on your PC, w/ "Show Information" selected in config menu, or just know what bitrate you rendered at.)

DVD-Rs normally cannot playback faster than 18Mbps, limited by rotational speed of the data coming off the media.
So any bitrate above say 17Mbps is in danger of stuttering. (and even that is risky, if you have decent audio bitrate or some higher peaks etc)

Try a lower bitrate like 15Mbps if you can and see if that works better - especially if you are not using full 1080 res, 15Mbps hopefully should be good for eg 720p.

You might try copying the AVCHD file to an SD card and playing directly off there , to ensure the rendered video file is OK, but that's what I suspect.
I'm trying to create a real 25GB BD-R. At the cost of BD-Rs, I certainly don't want to create multiple disks, especially when all the videos appear to fit!

The files are from HDTV, eg 15-18Mbps, 1080i. I do have some HDV files 25Mbps but haven't tried those yet. Hope it wouldn't re-render those down to 20Mbps?! what's the point of SVRT?

I don't think it's increasing the bitrate, as I've never heard SW doing that- SVRT smart-renders and all- and normally w/ VBR if you give a higher bitrate, it will just use the existing data, never makes it artificially higher! never heard of that.

Also, I've played back the resulting M2TS files in PDVD8, and the files appear to have repeated segments- eg it's muxing in stuff wrong? that's why they are bigger, it's repeating stuff! I thought it was joining two files together, or repeating the entire existing file a 2nd time, but it's repeating some segments. Confirmed the original MPEG2 files are fine.
Can't believe both programs are this buggy to fail a simple operation?
This isn't even AVCHD hard stuff...

Edit:
OK, went back in PDVD8 to check bitrate etc: the 2nd title which ballooned 2x in size, indeed, had higher bitrates for video- rather than max 12Mbps etc, some spots it jumped to nearly 30Mbps peak, others 20, 21, 18 etc. The 5.1 audio also went from 384Kbps to 448kbps.

This is very odd- and annoying! I would think it would just default to smart-rendering everything, as that would save a LOT of time (and disk space!)? Is HDTV MPEG2 somehow not up to spec for BD-R? Why would LOWER bitrates not be up to spec? Is this BluRay spec, or just PD8/PowerProducer mucking things up?!
I'm trying to burn a set of MPEG2 HD files to BD-R; 6 of them, around 3GB each, all together are ~20gb. I've selected the proper MPEG2 disk format etc.

In both PD8 and PowerProducer, I try to make a BD-R folder, and the disk space estimate is off- a little bit in PP, 2x or more in PD8-
and the progress goes fast at first (no transcoding needed) but then stops around 45-50%, and the cpu is still spinning, and disk space slowly grows...
never finishes. PP took over 3hrs and just sat there; PD8 is taking around 1hr, and seems getting a bit farther...
in PD8 case, the first rendered M2TS file looks OK (4gb), but the 2nd looks double, like 8gb... is PD8 duplicating the title videos for some reason?!

Anyone have success dumping in 1080i MPEG2 files into a disk creation BD-R project, and having it work?
Go to: