Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
On one of my machines I had to effectively uninstall the antivirus to get PowerDVD working. Specially after installing patch 5711 for PowerDVD 7.3 I was experiencing things like audio disabled, no hardware acceleration allowed, region code changes reset to zero and PowerDVD crashes when trying to load a/any disc (same behaviour for PowerDVD 9 Ultra). Uninstalling the antivirus instantly enabled full PowerDVD functionality without having to reinstall it again.

Regards,

Stefan
I used PowerDVD 7.3 under Windows 7 RTM (academic license) for a month without any issues. The only issue I had with PowerDVD was the antivirus triggering specially after installing the 5711 build patch. I had to effectivelly uninstall (it did not help to put PowerDVD on the antivirus/games white list) the antivirus (BitDefender 2010) to get PowerDVD working on one of my machines. I had the same antivirus triggering issue/compatibility on Windows XP Pro SP3 as well.

Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6
Intel C2D E8500
Saphire Radeon 4870 1 GB DDR5
Realtek 889 HD Audio
Kingston 4 GB HyperX DDR 2 1066 MHz CL5
HDDs (3 Seagates) and ODDs (ASUS BD-1206PT and DRW-2014L1T) set on SATA AHCI

Regards,

Stefan
It appears to me that PowerDVD does not work well under antivirus environments. I had stuttering (and even video/audio disabled) playback under PowerDVD 7.3 and crashes under PowerDVD 9 Ultra and both issues were solved by disabling the antivirus (BitDefender 2010 in my case on two machines) or placing the PowerDVD exe files on the antivirus white list (in case of PowerDVD 9 Ultra the file to which the desktop launcher is linked should be placed on the antivirus white list as well and restart the machine for the antivirus setup modifications to become effective). I know it does not look very much related to the subject but I think it's worth giving it a try.

Regards,

Stefan
I had a similar issue (stuttering playback on PowerDVD 7.3 and crashes on PowerDVD 9 Ultra) on my two Windows XP Pro SP3 machines with BitDefender 2010 Antivirus and solved them by placing the PowerDVD exe files on the antivirus whitelist (in case of PowerDVD 9 Ultra the file to which the desktop launcher is linked should be placed on the whitelist as well). I had to restart the machines for the modifications to become effective.

Regards,

Stefan
Hi,

In my case both issues (stuttering playback on PowerDVD 7.3 and crashes on PowerDVD 9 Ultra) were solved by placing both PowerDVD exe files on my (both machines) BitDefender 2010 Antivirus white list (in case of PowerDVD 9 Ultra the file to which the desktop launcher is linked, don't remember the name right now, should be placed on the antivirus white list as well). After modifying the antivirus setup I had to restart the machine for the modifications to become effective.

Regards,

Stefan
Did you try to disable the antivirus or put PowerDVD on the Antivirus whitelist? I had the stuttering playback issue with the PowerDVD 7.3 and instant crashes with the PowerDVD 9 Ultra on my BitDefender 2010 Antivirus machines under Windows XP Pro SP3 as well and corrected both issues by placing each PowerDVD exe file on the antivirus white list (for PowerDVD 9 Ultra the file to which the desktop launcher is linked should be placed on the white list as well, I don't remember the file name right now; right click the desktop link, click properties and see the name and location, should be in the same location as the PowerDVD 9 exe file).

And do not forget to restart your machine after the antivirus setup modifications (I had to in my case).

Regards,

Stefan
I upgraded from PowerDVD 7.3 to PowerDVD 9 Ultra on my Windows XP Pro SP3 machine and did not solve any issue. Besides that, the PowerDVD 9 Ultra crashes instantly when attempting to play anything be it DVD title or BD title (even after reinstalling it). All these happened to me after I switched my drives (HDDs and ODDs) from PATA to SATA AHCI mode by clean reinstalling the OS and loading SATA AHCI drivers with F6 during OS install (before the switch from PATA to SATA had no issue in watching BD titles on PowerDVD 7.3 OEM).

Regards
I have the same issue (immediate crash starting with the first play attempt) on my Windows XP Pro SP3 x86 machine with PowerDVD 9 Ultra. I have issues with PowerDVD 7.3 OEM as well. I did not have any issue with PowerDVD 7.3 untill I switched all my drives (HDDs and ODDs) from PATA to SATA AHCI (format drive, Win XP clean install, F6, etc.). After this move/switch I cannot get the 7.3 working with Blue-Ray titles regardless of the patch installed. Instaling the (latest) patch recommended by the PowerDVD 7.3 itself (build 5716) immediately resets the region code changes remaining to zero, does not detect the audio system anymore and disables the hardware aceleration option making impossible to play any title be it DVD or BD. Installing the PowerDVD 7.3 patch posted by Cyberlink on their updates section (build 4617) allows DVD titles to work but only some of the BD titles can be played normally (for example, I noticed that all Columbia Pictures BD titles I own play only about half-speed).

My system:
Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 with F8D bios (latest)
Processor Intel C2D E8500 3.16 GHz
Sapphire Radeon 4870 with 1 GB GDDR5 and latest ATI drivers (October 2009)
Kingston KHX8500D2K2/4G kit of 2x2 GB 1066 MHz CL5 DDR2 memory
Realtek ALC889A HD Audio (latest driver posted on GB site)
HDDs: Seagate SATA2 (160 GB system and 1.5 TB data) AHCI mode
ODDs: ASUS DRW-2014L1T (DVD RAM) and BC-1205PT (BD combo) AHCI mode

I have the exact same behaviour of the PowerDVD 7.3 on another Windows XP Pro SP3 x86 machine built around an ASUS mobo with X38 Chipset (P5E model) with similar components and drives working under SATA AHCI mode as well (and guess what, I had no PowerDVD 7.3 issue before switching drives from PATA to SATA mode)

I described these issues to the Cyberlink Customer Support and believe it or not they sent me to ASUS to ask for the region code unlock!!!
Go to: