Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 9: screen goes blank during DVD and BLU-RAY playback
Nathan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 21, 2009 14:04 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
PowerDVD9.0.2201
DVD090918-04
Windows Vista 64
ATI Radeon HD4850 9.9 drivers
DVI

I'm using PowerDVD 9 build 2201, but this problem has been going on for a long time. When playing a dvd or blu-ray, the screen will randomly go black for a couple seconds throughout the movie. It seems to be a completely random occurrence.

While its merely annoying during DVDs, when playing blu-rays, after the screen goes black I get an error message telling me that my LCD display isn't HDCP compliant, which isn't true. Then I have to start playing the disc over and try to skip ahead to where I was in the movie.

I've tried many different blu-rays and maybe one or two have played all the way through, but most quit 4-5 times during the movie.

I'm using a ViewSonic VP2250wb display that is HDCP compliant and I have the latest drivers. I've been updating my ATI HD4850 drives each month and that doesn't seem to make any difference either. I do have a 2nd monitor (with extended desktop) connected to this computer that isn't HDCP, but I tried unhooking that once and restarting my computer and watching a blu-ray and I still got the error.

The BD adviser tells me that I'm ok for basic playback, but under the advanced tab tells me that I need to upgrade if I want to do blu-ray live and stuff like that.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 21. 2009 14:28

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Are you using the HDMI port? That is usually the only way to get HDCP compliance even if the monitor and all associated equipment follows HDCP protocols. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Nathan [Avatar]
[Post New]
No, this monitor doesn't have HDMI, just DVI and VGA ports.

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/vp2250wb.htm
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Are any of the movies from Sony studios? They are supposed to play without HDCP. That still wouldn't explain the DVD issue, but I know on my computer I have to move the mouse every now and then, so you may try disabling the monitor's sleep setting. I believe you can find that under the computer's power management in the control panel. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Nathan [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't know if any were Sony discs, I can try some though.

I already have my monitor set to never turn off, and sometimes the disc will stop barely a few minutes into the movie, so while that is one of the only reasonable explanations I've heard, I don't think its the problem.
Simon [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 07, 2008 06:39 Messages: 59 Offline
[Post New]
Are you using a DVI-DVI cable to connect to the monitor?

I had a similar problem with an HDCP compliant LG display using a DVI-DVI cable. The solution I found was to use the HDMI adapter that came with the graphics card and use an HDMI-DVI cable.
Nathan [Avatar]
[Post New]
You adapted the DVI port on the vid card to HDMI using a dongle and then used a HDMI->DVI cable? I wouldn't think that should do anything, but if that's what you're saying and it helped, I could buy a cable.
Andrew [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Gateshead, United Kingdom Joined: May 19, 2007 15:54 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I am having a similar issue with PowerDVD 9.

I have done some further testing and found that v9.0.1719a, which is the current version offered as a downloadable trial from the Cyberlink website, does not have the issues with showing either a blank display or pixelated green display.

However, if you update to v9.0.2115 or v9.0.2201 the issues are apparent in those versions, and it would seem that it is an isssue that Cyberlink clearly need to investigate, as it seems more like a change they have made which has caused this rather than a driver issue.

Regards,
Andrew Robinson.
STEFAN [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 03, 2009 08:03 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I had a similar issue (stuttering playback on PowerDVD 7.3 and crashes on PowerDVD 9 Ultra) on my two Windows XP Pro SP3 machines with BitDefender 2010 Antivirus and solved them by placing the PowerDVD exe files on the antivirus whitelist (in case of PowerDVD 9 Ultra the file to which the desktop launcher is linked should be placed on the whitelist as well). I had to restart the machines for the modifications to become effective.

Regards,

Stefan
RSNx3 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 16, 2010 19:42 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same "display shutting down and restarting" error during bluray and DVD playback with PowerDVD 9 (still using the trial bundled with my drive).
I am using a radeon 4850 linked via dvi to my LG 227.
I do not think this is a HDCP problem as this should not interfere with DVD playback and i do not get the "HDCP compliant error".
Sound playback continues uninterrupted while the display restarts.
The error happens even while playback is paused, and even paused, windowed and in the background.
I get no error messages, and everything else works fine with the current version of PowerDVD, and it is the only program which produces this error.
I thought at first it is a problem with the catalyst driver, but there is no message indicating this, and the problem remained with different driver versions (9.10, 9.12, 10.1).
Apart from this error PowerDVD would be my favourite playback program for blurays, so it would by great if someone had a solution.
Nathan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Running stuff through AnyDVD is the only thing that seems to work for me. So it makes me think its something with the protection on the discs, but I don't know why it only affects a few people.