Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Why is the menu duration in pd7 restrcited to 99 seconds. Is this standard dvd architecture?

I am looking to insert a 2 minute video as a menu background.
Adobe Premier Elements 3 and Pinnacle (can't remember which version, though the software is at least 2 years old)) -

Both the above gave very similar rendering qualities - I have noticed that the time it takes to encode for the above two pieces of software is a lot longer compared to pd.

Thanks for picking up the flaw in my logic. I now fully understand the limitations on bit rate for dvd.

I still do think that the quality of the final product is sub standard compared to other products that I've used. Reading other threads tells that the encoder in pd doesnt seem to be the best in the market.

I don't buy the notion that I've read in other threads that quality is in the eye of the beholder.

Seems to me that this is a dud software unless cyberlink can vastly improve their dvd hq encoder.

I've picked up a flaw with the create disc function. I think it's something that should be fixed urgently.

My example is as follows: I recorded a 40min video on dv camera, then transferred to computer via firewire cable. The video in dv format is too big to fit on a standard 4.7gb disc.

When creating a disc, the highest quality setting in powerdirector is 8000k bitrate. This compresses the video to only 2.3gb - an unneccessary loss in quality.

The smartfit option supposedly fixes this - however, my investigations have revealed that smartfit technology does not select the best compression setting to make sure the entire disc content is used up - it merely select the best option (from dvd hq, dvd sp, dvd lp). i.e. if you wabted to record a dvd in a higher setting than 8000k bitrate, it is impossible.

This is unacceptable from a software that is so new and that costs as much as it does - Adobe Premier Elements 3 handled a function like this perfectly and that software is probaly 3 years old and much cheaper.

I bought Powerdirector because it had a fancy video editting functions compared to its rivals. However, it becomes a useless piece of software if it cannot handle the simple tasks - i.e. what's the use of producing a masterpeice if you cannot write it to disc in the highest quality possible.

The "automated" responses I've been receiving from the support desk is pathetic - clearly there are people manning the support desk that don't understand the product or a thing about video editting.

I urge to Cyberlink to take heed and fix the flaw -

Ok, I'verendered the file to 4.3gb in size under the production function. Try creating disc under dvd hq and still compresses back to 2.3gb in size. I am 100% sure that i'm selecting the dvd hq function. Trying smartfit, gives the same compression setting. This is getting very frustrating - feels like I wasted my money on this product- I've used products that were probably half the price whose output quality was perfect.

Why even have a function called smartfit that doesn't even work.
I am using powerdirector 7ultra. My problem is that when I try to burn a 5gb video to a 4.7gb dvd disc, the SmartFit technology compresses the entire project to 2.3gb. Surely this is an unnescessary reduction in quality (surely SmartFit should use the entire available disc space). Is there someting I'm missing?
Hi,
Please help, I've been recking my brains on this and haven't found solid help on this in any of the other topics.

I have a file coded in MPEG2 that is about 4.3gigs in size. I have added the file to my project and clicked the create disc function to write to DVD (single layer).

My problem is that even when selecting SMart fit option, the final project is only 2.4gigs in size. The finished product also has poor quality. Clearly, PD has compressed the file too much.

Is there any way to get around this.
Go to: