CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote It sounds like you were successful in burning your project to a BD folder with PD. If so, you then need nothing special and no additional software, you can simply burn this folder structure to BD with just Windows explorer as discussed here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/51482.page#post_box_270180 and other threads.

Jeff

Thank you. Hadn't seen that. Will give it a try.
Passing this along as a FWIW . . . I used PowerDirector some years ago, but it's been a long time. Had a new project I wanted to do that involved a total of 10 videos across one top menu and three sub-menus, with customized backgrounds/audio, thumbnails, etc. It took me some time to get that all worked out, with much assistance from YouTube videos and threads from this forum, but I did get to the point where I was ready to burn. Bought an external optical drive that supported single and double layer BR discs and a set of compatible discs.

First burn with PowerDirector failed at around 40% (error eEB191087). I then followed all the steps recommended by Cyberlink to improve chances of success - shut down all other applications (including anti-virus/firewall/etc.), clear Windows temp files, etc. - I also simply disconnnected from internet access. Second attempt also failed, not getting as far as first attempt - same error code.

I tried the next Cyberlink work-around (per website), which was to burn the BRD folders to disc, download Cyberlink Power2go (free trial), and then use that for the disc burn. Well, that failed as well - after only 6%. Error code 0xeb191087 suggests a hardware defect in the burner or disc compatibility problem.

So I was thinking I was going to have to call Verbatim (drive vendor, but it actually appears to be made by Pioneer) customer support to troubleshoot the drive/discs. I anticipated they would ask for the particulars of my setup and, when getting to software, possibly ask why I wasn't using the software that came with the burner - Nero Express Essentials. To avoid getting blown off on the first call (and since customer support isn't open on weekends), I decided to uninstall Power2go, install Nero Express Essentials, and give it a try. After figuring out how to get my Cyberlink BR folders in the proper place to use Nero for the burn (again thanks to a post on this forum), I fired it up and the project successfully burned in less than 15 minutes. I put the disc in my Blu-Ray player and it played fine.

Moral of story? It appears that Cyberlink's disc burning software isn't the greatest. I can't help but feel being mislead by Cyberlink when it says its software will burn discs and then points the finger elsewhere when it fails. PowerDirector does a decent job of video and audio editing. But if they're going say that it willl burn discs, they should maintain the quality of the burn component. If not, abandon it and tell customers they can only use PowerDirector for the editing and tell them they'll need to use a different product for the burn.

I realize the trend is moving away from discs to the cloud, but I'm not familiar with a platform that will allow one to use menus to organize and present vidoes to family and friends in a curated fashion.
Thanks Adrian. That was very helpful, although it's still not totally clear to me how hard referencing works (to physical address on the media device?) and how packing allows you to retain the hard references. I guess I'll have to experiment a bit. The disappointment is that many of my projects are going to involve using small sections of large files. If I follow the technique described in the tutorial and make a copy, just for use by Cyberlink, of all my media sources for a project and I then pack that project, it sounds like I'll end up with 3 copies of my media sources. For my first project, the video media requires 275GB, even though what I use out of that media will fit on one finished DVD. If I follow the tutorial, I'll use over .75TB for that one project. That's a terrible waste of storage space.
My first project involved "clipping" (marking in and out) hundreds of scenes from 11 different .avi files stored on an external hard drive. After finishing that project, seeing how PD7 manages project files, and preparing to do my next project, I decided I should re-organize the master video, audio, snapshot, menu content, and other files so I don't end up with a jumbled mess. After moving them around, I reopened my original project and, as expected, was prompted to browse and locate files I had moved. Having done that, I thought everything should work fine. But I found that the project could only find the first clip from each .avi file and would just repeat that same clip for every scene that was supposed to come from that file. In fact, that clip didn't actually start in the proper place in the file and the playback speed was slower than real speed. Since I had overlayed titles and background music throughout the entire timeline, the whole project is trashed. I posted a question to tech support to find out what might have happened and correct it so I didn't have to re-create the entire project. The response was that any source files used in any projects cannot be moved or renamed or the project will be ruined. I find that to be totally unbelievable. How can a software company put out a product that is so unsophisticated that files can't be moved? If my hard drive crashed, it wouldn't make any difference if I had backups. My projects still wouldn't work with the restored files. Can someone please tell me that I received an incorrect response from tech support and address this problem?

Thanks,
Well, technical support has been no help at all. So, I did my own testing. Here's what I did and what appears to be the problem:

I opened Task Manager and watched it while I ran my project in edit mode. During most of the play time, my CPU utilization rate ran between 50% and 75% or 80%. However, at each change in scene (mark in and mark out), the CPU utilization spiked to 100%. When a title was being displayed along with the rest of the video/audio, the utilization would stay above 75% or 80%. At the end of the title display, utilization would again spike up to 100% (dropping back down below 75% once it finished spiking). What I don't know is why the simple displaying of a title overlay on the video requires so much CPU utilization. I've posed the question to technical support, but am not optimistic of receiving a good response.

I did the same thing (ran Task Manager) while rendering the project and burning it to DVD. But before I started the rendering process, I used Task Manager to change the priority on PDR.exe to "high". CPU Utilization was at 100% most of the time. When I viewed the completed DVD, there was only a slight "flicker" at the completion of some of the titles - as though a couple of frames had been dropped. It was nothing like the freeze-ups I was getting before.

So I think PowerDirector is simply placing too much demand on my processor and is not accommodating the fact that the processor can't handle the peaks. I'm running a Pentium 4 @ 2GHz and 1GB of RAM, which is more than the specified requirement for the type of work I'm doing (no HD). So I'm disappointed in the performance of the software (and of Cyberlink's technical support). I guess I'm going to have to buy a faster computer If I'm going to continue to use this product.
I've created a project that uses a total of 36 titles to provide context information to the viewer at certain points (assuming subtitles are not being displayed). When editing, I didn't notice that there was a slight hesitation in the video as each title ended. However, in the rendered DVD, there was a noticable "freezing" of the video at the end of half of the titles. Some were for a fraction of a second and some were for several seconds and occasionally effected the audio as well. It doesn't happen at the beginning of the titles and I'm not having any issue with any of the other features in the project (e.g., music track, effects, MagicFix, etc.). It's as though there's something that occurs at the end of the title track that is overloading my processor, but I don't know if that makes any sense.

I've posed the issue to Cyberlink tech support and, at its suggestion, checked virtual memory settings, updated video and audio drivers, updated DirectX, uninstalled and reinstalled PowerDirector, turned off Richvideo.exe and PDR.exe and used msconfig.exe to turn off the loading of all startup programs and disable anti-virus and other applications.

None of that has helped. I guess I could remove all the titles to get rid of the problem, but would detract from the content of the project. Has anyone else run into this and found what was causing the problem?
Geez . . . just didn't see the "Apply to all pages" check box. Thanks for pointing it out. On duration, I did use the disc creation preferences to try to set the time to at least as long as the .avi file I was using for the menus (roughly 45 seconds), but the menu manager was still cutting them off and repeating them before they were done. Maybe I was doing something else wrong. I'll keep trying.

Thanks again for your help.
I've only been using PowerDirector for a few days and have a couple of basic questions:
> I'm trying to use a video file (.avi) that I created as my background for menu pages and am trying to make the duration of the menu page as long as possible and then match that time with the length of the video. Can't seem to get it quite right. What is the maximum duration of a menu page and any suggestions for matching that with a background video?
> I'd like to use different background music for the chapter page than the home page. I can't seem to find a way to do this. Am I missing something?
Go to: