Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Yes 100%. The new version is a pile of.....
PLEASE CAN EVERYONE DO THE SAME IF YOU HATE THIS NEW VERSION??!?

I think this is good advice from optodata and I decided to take it up. I rated the application 'one star' and added the following comment:
This is the worst version of Power Director I have yet worked with.
(1) It crashes when I try to load FX onto the timeline.
(2) Why has 'Apply to All' been removed from Editing?
(3) Why does the scrubber no longer go to the beginning of a clip when you click on it?
(4) Why has user-intuitive functionality (eg. opacity) been transferred from the timeline to menus in Editing therefore adding to the work-flow?
(5) Why have other user-intuitive functions (such as the 'View Details' icon in the Library) also been transferred behind menus thereby requiring more clicks to obtain the same outcome?
(6) Also the colour scheme is hideous!
You've taken an elegant and intuitive user-interface that has worked well through a series of iterations over years and 'dumbed' it down to something that even moderately advanced users find totally frustrating.
Please bring back PD21!

Don't know if it will make any difference, but perhaps others might like to try as well?

Paul

To be clear. On the program itself. Under file you find the "Rate Us & Provide Suggestions" and I copied and pasted paulsw212 list. Thank you @paulsw212 for sharing and pointing that out.
Quote It looks like they've transferred almost all controls into the Edit menu and the two tabs under 'Video' - tools and color. As well as transferring controls from the timeline, they've also done it from the Preview Window. There used to be useful set of grabs in the corners and mid-way so you could manually size the picture in-video (so to speak). Now you have to use 'Position/Size/Flip' in the Tools tab of the Edit menu.

I don't mind them adding these tools, but why remove the pre-existing functionality that has served us so well over years?

It rather reminds me of when Microsoft summarily dispensed with Movie Maker in favour of a 'simplified' version in Windows 7 with a lot of the functionality stripped out or dumbed down. Apparently that was 'progress'! I do hope that Power Director isn't going the same way.

Paul

Someone did share a tip. When highlighting a video press F2 button. This opens the "old" window we all know and love. Just another button to press causing less productivity. The death of Powerdirector for anyone above new users......
Quote I was happy to see a new interface thinking it might be a well thought out productive interface to build the future on. I was rather disappointed. A few comments below after driving around for a while.

1. New Launcher window is a bust, can't turn it off
  2. Changing db in the Audio Mixer vertical slide now controls track audio, horizontal slide gone. What a mess, why would first screen be track controls. Another extra editing step for clip controls from Audio Mixer to select Keyframes
  3. Constantly have to click "Advanced" for like the old PIP as not remembered like previous, F2 key will be highly utilized
  4. Constantly have to click "Advanced" for like the old Title Designer as not remembered like previous, F2 key will be highly utilized
  5. Timeline audio waveform is a wreak, not helpful for any use other than knowing it's got a audio track
  6. Timeline colors of clips, audio, are putrid, no easy user control
  7. Unlinking audio and video leaves a sizeable vertical gap in between the two clips. No real purpose, just wasted track real estate, color changes so why is the gap needed too
  8. Timeline timecode area much larger but of no value, just takes premium screen space
  9. Sales page says "200+ Video Effects, LUTs & Stickers", there are no LUTS in Ultimate, the tag is empty
  10. The Outro templates are now populated, I paid for those in my PD21 perpetual release but never got to use as they were not included like the sales page indicated. A PD21 patch only added Intro templates.
  11. Everything in interface rather than being user centric for editing speed, is simply more clicks, interface not thought out, just a change. Nothing to really build on, I'm sure just more move around and icon color changes with patches.
  12. Subtitles icon on top takes you to page with 3 options, but from the "Create Subtitles Manually" area one has access to "Speech to Text" and "Import Subtitles". Another needless interface.
  13. Just a kludgy GUI interface. Editing speed not a forethought.
  14. I miss the "All Content" in like Titles, I've got no idea how CL will tag a particular Title in General or Plain Text or any other category. It was much easier scrolling through "All Content" rather than bouncing category to category
  15. I miss the "All Content" in like Transitions, I've got no idea how CL will tag a particular Transition into which category. Much easier scrolling and looking in "All Content"
  16. Added a meaningless playhead not at beginning of file message, good thing it can be turned off permanently
  17. Inconvenient spot for preview window timecode. It was very near the frame controls which was convenient, now way off to the right
  18. How are Effects sorted? For example, take Effects > Body, they appear in just some random order. The "Sort by menu" always appears greyed out in all these rooms now.
  19. Many features lacking "Apply to All" like Video Stabilizer and others

I really didn't find anything to report in the new interface I thought stood out as a big editing aid, to me, just another ill thought rendition of a interface with items moved around with new colors and icons. I wish that was not the case, but from my quick drive, that was my experience.

Jeff

I am shocked at how badly they have messed up the software and all for what? New users to make it simple and easy. What about those of us that know how to edit and use it daily? A simple 2 hour project took me 7. What about productivity? And why remove most used tools? Why not offer two buttons at the top. Basic (new version for new users) and advanced users (old useful version that I dont want to throw my monitor out of the window)? My subscription runs out in 2 days and I am having to try and find a replacement that is in fact user friendly.
Quote Updated PD365, in addition to increasing the number of clicks to access tools, I think some have been removed in video editing.
1 – Opacity line in video clips, photos, etc.

2 – Video filter, “Edge Enhancement

3 - “Apply to all” button

4 - Quick view button (>>) Now (Ctrl + F)
They will be greatly missed at my work.
Am I mistaken or is that just it?

For me number 1 (1 – Opacity line in video clips, photos, etc.) is the most used function and I have no idea why they would remove it. How Frustrating. Sometimes changing things for change sake is just ridiculous. Cancelled my subscription for now as I have 3 video tracks and various overlays that require constant changes.

Edit:

Well having now used the update for 5 minutes. I am going to look for an alternative. Why have you stopped the timeline line move to the start of the video or picture automatically when selecting it? Seems to add another unnecessary step. To get to the tools or colours feels like another 1 or 2 steps. I don't have time to go through all of these steps for every video speed adjustment or to edit the colour. And when I try and select a video clip I can no longer do so to easily edit the keyframes and video placement. Why have you removed it? This update clearly shows that you do not care about productivity. Removing most used functions and adding additional steps seems ridiculous. Thank god my subscription ends in 5 days.

PD is often impacted by system instabilities like these, and I suggest that you run the two diagnostic commands as decribed here to see if either of them will make a difference. You may also want to completely uninstall the Adrenalin driver package, reboot and install it again.

If none of those help, you should open a ticket with CL tech support from this page.

While you're waiting for them to assist, I believe your issue might be that the clip is encoded in Sony's XAVC codec and you can try transcoding to standard AVC or HEVC 4K with Handbrake rather than downscaling to HD.

Ok. I tried to run the two diagnostic commands but that link lead me to the dxdiag page. Also my version is the same as yours.
Quote Thanks very much for the sample clip and DxDiag results. As you can see, I have no trouble importing your clip in the latest PD365 release:

The DxDiag results show that you're running the latest AMD Adrenalin GPU driver, however your system has also suffered multiple Windows and video app crashes as shown in the Windows Error Reports (WER) at the end of the file.

PD is often impacted by system instabilities like these, and I suggest that you run the two diagnostic commands as decribed here to see if either of them will make a difference. You may also want to completely uninstall the Adrenalin driver package, reboot and install it again.

If none of those help, you should open a ticket with CL tech support from this page.

While you're waiting for them to assist, I believe your issue might be that the clip is encoded in Sony's XAVC codec and you can try transcoding to standard AVC or HEVC 4K with Handbrake rather than downscaling to HD.

Firstly thank you all for the assistance and advice. It's late here so I will start problem-solving in the morning.

To be clear though. I was working with the video files without issues. Closed the program. Updated it and when I opened PowerDirector it started crashing. Nothing else had changed. I obviously then did a graphics driver update thinking that would solve the issue, but without success. Ill see in the morning if I can find a solution.
Thanks again and have an awesome day / night! Stay safe!

Hello,

What is the exact version number of PowerDirector are you running? You said you updated it "2 days ago", but the latest release is a day old.

Can you also provide the requested information and also give more information about your clip. Using MediaInfo or sharing a short sample via Google Drive or something would be ideal.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Hiya, Sorry feels like two days ago as I have been problem-solving that whole time. Yesterday morning, you are correct. It is any 4k footage. When I convert to same file type but 1080p it does not crash.

File example type: https://we.tl/t-SNMRgn0msh

Attached DXDiag.txt as well.

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards
John
Updated the program 2 days ago and since then it keeps crashing. Before the update, it worked perfectly. I have adjusted everything. I have uninstalled and reinstalled everything. Yet still, when I drag 4k files over to the timeline, it crashes. Any suggestions please?
Go to: