Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Thank you for suggesting looking at the DXDIAG report. It gave me a couple of ideas:
1) Update the Xvid codec
2) Update the driver for my soundcard. The new version, which came out a couple months ago, for whatever reason did not auto-update (it's not very reliable). The release notes had a bit of an obscure reference to fixing a bug when using Power DVD 8.3:

--------
Fixes:
Resolves the following issues:
•System taking more than two minutes to shut down.
•PowerDVD® DX 8.3 (Dell® version) not working properly.
•Passthrough of Dolby®/DTS® audio to an external decoder not working with Windows Media Player 12.
--------

So, I decided to give Power DVD 11 Ultra another try, and the AVCHD AUDIO WORKS NOW!!!

While I cannot precisely pinpoint with certainty what resolved the problem, some combination of updates finally worked.

Thank you for your help and suggestions!!!
Thank you for the reply.

Out of sheer frustration, I have uninstalled Power DVD v11 and tediously reinstalled several upgrades' worth of versions to get back to version 10, which plays the AVCHD audio fine, even up to the most recent Patch 2916 installed via the workaround posted elsewhere here.

The only PC that I installed version 11 on was my home theater PC, which runs on Windows Vista with all Microsoft updates installed and up to date.

Intel D975XBX2 motherboard, 2.40Ghz Quadcore, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 260.

The audio is fed necessarily via analog connections for 7.1 surround sound from a Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series to a Denon amplifier. Analog is the only choice because there is no digital / optical connection from the soundcard available beyond two channel stereo. Like I already mentioned, other files, such as copyrighted DRM .WMV files that I legally purchased from the Amazon HD store, play the audio fine, even in 5.1 surround, so this seems like an AVCHD / H.264 / MPEG-2 / MPEG-4 codec issue. I threw MPEG-2 into that mix because an edited AVCHD video that I saved as an MPEG-2 also would not play any audio.

Quote: Hi,
can you please provide a sample file (30 seconds would be ok) - you can upload it as attachement to this forum.

See attached.

Quote: on my side I can not see this issue with similar files.
Can you please also list down the installed Codec Packs - some codec packs do changes deep in Os and sometimes break other applications.

Here are some apps that may influence codec installs:
VLC
Quicktime
DivX Plus
Xvid
VideoReDo
Ulead DVD Movie Factory 6
Roxio Easy Media Creator 10
Hauppauge WinTV
Amazon.com Video Service Player
Winamp
Real Alternative
Windows Media Center

Thing is, the AVCHD audio works fine in Power DVD 10, but not 11, so I would think that points most likely to a problem with version 11, all other things being equal.

Quote: please also provide all related info:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/17444.page

Not sure if that's the page you intended, as that is a list of fixes for the latest patch.

I think I'll have to continue to use version 10 until the bugs in version 11 are worked out. One of the main reasons I upgraded to version 11 was that the remote control via my Android phone looked interesting, but as others have pointed out here in the forum, it only works with the mouse control, if it works at all, and nothing else (buttons, disc controls, etc.). FWIW, I have a Sprint HTC EVO.
Since upgrading from Power DVD 10 Ultra to Power DVD 11 Ultra, I no longer hear any audio for AVCHD H.264 files copied to my computer from my Canon VIXIA HF S21 camcorder. Why this worked fine in Power DVD 10 but is missing in Power DVD 11, I don't know, but there is no audio codec information listed at all during playback in Power DVD 11. I only see "N/A", or "0" for the audio bitrate, for example.

The file plays back properly in VLC, so the correct codec is loaded for that app, but apparently not for Power DVD Ultra version 11.

The source audio is AC3 / Dolby Digital 2Ch, 48Khz sample rate, 256Kbps bitrate, but Power DVD 11 won't recognize it as such. This is video I shot on my camcorder for crying out loud, so there should be no copyright issues involved.

This is one of the primary uses of Power DVD for me, so it's absolutely maddening that suddenly it doesn't work anymore. Please repair / reenable the AVCHD H.264 audio functionality. Note that the patch that came out yesterday, build 1719, did not fix the problem.

On a related note, audio is also newly dead for playback of MPEG4 transport stream files, even though that also worked fine in Power DVD 10. I don't know if these are two separate or related problems, in terms of fixes.

Any help in getting Power DVD 11 Ultra to work again is appreciated. Note that audio from a .wmv video file, for example, plays back fine, even in 5.1, so this really smells like a missing codec issue.

Please fix.

Thank you.
After downloading patch 2521 direct from the Cyberlink site, Trend Micro PC-Cillin gives a virus warning with these details:

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=Cryp_Opet-3

Whether this is a real threat or another heuristic scan lemming, I don't know.

I can't believe the situation is getting worse instead of better. The last version of Power DVD 8 Ultra that worked with blu-ray and I am still using is 1830. Tech support has acknowledged the problem, but I obviously won't be installing this latest potentially infected patch, which PC-Cillin has long since quarantined anyway. Sheeeeshhhh........
The latest patch finally appears to fix this problem. Thanks Cyberlink!

CyberLink.2217U_TaRe38_DVD080909-05.exe

Download from Cyberlink here:
http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/download/patches_1_en_US.html
Good news!!!

Cyberlink Tech Support has replicated this bug and will be working to fix it in a future patch, possibly even in the next few days.

Stay tuned...
After contacting tech support, they provided me with a stand-alone build of 2021, which I installed on a brand new XP SP2 PC that had never had Power DVD installed, and the annoying file open error still occurs with this latest version.

Hopefully they will listen to us and fix this silly bug so that we can keep current with the application in the future.
I get the exact same error when I try to open an MPEG file on a local hard drive. Clicking past the error dialog does allow the file to play, but this is a nuisance. It happens with either of these patch files installed:
CyberLink.2021aU_DVD080909-01.exe
CyberLink.2021U_DVD080729-02(Ultra).exe

However, if I reinstall the patch previous to the buggy ones, the problem is gone:
CyberLink.1830U_DVD080411-04.exe

PC is Windows XP Pro SP2 on Intel D975XBX2 4GB RAM, Q6700 Quad CPU, nVidia GTX 260.
Go to: