Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote Hi folk,

The clip/movie mode button has been removed, we understand that CL found that most users enabled the "movie mode" most of the time.

With some brief testing, we can't confirm that the previous configuration alters the behaviour post update but others may test that where possible.

The Preferences>Return to beginning switch makes the scubber return to the start, or stop, after preview reaches the last item on the timeline.

So, taking a new look at what is required in this context, we might review a wider approach?

We can always use the spacebar or pause to halt the scubber wherever we want, rather than using stop.

We can utilise the range selection tool to preview single clips, but that is a bit cumbersome - however, how often do we want to just review a single clip, more often we might want to review a series or part of a series, including transitions and audio to see what our edits look and sound like?

So we can use the range selection to cover the edits we want and, depending on how the Preferences switch is configured, the range is treated as a "mini-movie" and the scubber will stop at the end of the range or return to the start of the range.

The range is reset by clicking anywhere outside the range.

Whilst it is different, it is a more versatile and flexible tool than just clip or movie mode. Yes, it's not quite as "simple" but considerably more useful?

Also, used in conjunction with the one click render preview button, it can make editing more flexible and easier?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

This confirms my suspicion that the folk at CL have a poor view of what video editing involves and how to accommodate those that do it. In general, the Powerdirector is a combersome attempt at a video editor. Many of the ways of working with it are hidden in user discovery -- or visible only by watching corny CL university videos, which often omit important key actions. As for me, I'm completely turned of by the awkwardness of it, and seek alternatives. Powerdirector goes hand in hand with this frightening, crappy forum software.

I'm sorry to say, but that along with other UI changes makes me regret not having cancelled my subscription. Just because most users enable movie mode, does not mean, that there are no users switching between both. Why take away that option? Why take away the bin and hide the delete button in a menue? It adds nothing to UI and complicates usability.

Totally agree, why take away options that are legit! They say CL takes them away becasue 'most' users perfer one way to the other -- that's just poor thinking.

Personally, when I edit a clip, I'm editing the clip, not the whole time line -- even though I do the editing in the timeline. In the preview window, one is placed in a very local view of the timeline, they are placed on the current clip. One generally gets there because they are working on a clip. To have a button - a scrub button - that jets you out of the local mode and into the start of the timeline is WRONG! Bad design -- a DESIGN FAULT, period.

Why CL wants to change to a bad design makes one want to reconsider alternative packages!
The way it is now, movie mode is automatically invoked when you play a clip, so that when you hit reposition button (the hollow square) YOU GET BACK TO THE BEGINNING OF THE PROJECT.

This is wrong - a design flaw. Now, if you hit the PqUp key on your keyboard (Windows 10) you are ok and hitting the reposition key gets you back to the start of the clip you are working on -- but it's easy to forget to do that and end up back at the start of the project.

I have read that you can set in Preferences the 'Switch to movie mode' option, but in my current version 19.1.2321.0 (64 bit) 365
there is no option in preferences that is 'Switch to movie mode'. No option to turn that off?

What is the solution to have the software not reposition at the beginning of the project when working on a clip.

Again, this is a design flaw.
Quote You can set this in Editing preferences. Just untick the Swith to movie mode option in preferences.

Ash

There is no Preference: Switch to Movie Mode

Powerdirect Version: 19.1.2321.0 (16 bit)
Version Type: 365
Go to: