Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Well, whatever that update was has made Power DVD 7.3 BD refuse to play any BD- it just loops around constantly offering, installing, then reinstalling the update. Absolutely scandalously, the website that the Star Wars disc kicked me to now just offers me a half price update to v11.
I'll give trading standards another nudge- this is just plain illegal. I wonder how many people this is affecting? Are there enough US users to start a class action? In the UK, we are entitled to a product that is fit for purpose for up to 6 years. Any lawyers out there?

Rather than deal with Cyberlink support, I think I will get trading standards to sort a solution. This company simply does not value its customers and at some point will pay the long term price in terms of damage to reputation.
Well, something has happened. I now get a message saying that a periodic update needs to take place.....I click yes, it says it has updated, but then it won't play any disc- the periodic update just loops.

So now it is completely broken, but at least they seem to be doing something.
Hi,

I have just raised a trading standards query at last. If you are in the UK, you can do it here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_195913 . Here is a copy of what I wrote, you are welcome to copy (PS, I used the European branch address in the Netherlands to ensure that they are thinking in terms of European law. I would be quite disappointed if I did not get a swift solution, or at least some clear information on what they are up to with the patch. Here is what I wrote if anyone wants to copy:

I purchased a Sony BDU-X10S Blu-Ray player computer drive on 20/03/2009. This was bundled with Cyberlink PowerDVD 7.3 software, which is required to play back blu-ray discs. The software features the Blu-Ray logo- like CD and DVD logoed products, I believe this indicates that at least basic functionality is garaunted for lifetime, as the logo is a standard.
Recently, I purchased a boxed set of Star Wars films on Blu-Ray. On inserting the discs, the software produces a message saying the disc cannot be played and an update is required. It notes a Cyberlink web address, where the update should be availalbe. On accessing the site, it informs me that my software is up to date. The result, I am not able to play this boxed set. Consequently, the software is not fit for purpose. I have contacted Cyberlink technical support, stating that their product was not fit for purpose and that I would like this remedied by return. This was in mid sept and ref CS001059153. I simply received a standard response requesting more information. I pointed out that I wanted a fix or solution at their expense by return, not to be dragged round the houses for a known issue. I have since not made satisfactory progress. Additionally, I have received copious e-mail offers from Cyberlink to upgrade (at my cost) to the latest version of their software since posting the support request. I am not amused!! I would like Cyberlink to ensure that their product is standards compliant and plays my legitimately purchased Blu Ray hardware correctly. If the software I have cannot be fixed, I would like them to put this right at their own expense and in a timely manner. Thanks in advance.
UK trading standards for them next, then.

My thinking is that blu-ray is a standard, like CD. If software was sold with a blu-ray drive for the purpose of playing blu-ray discs does not play a blu-ray disc that conforms to the standard, then it is not fit for pupose.

I haven't actually progressed my ticket with them further. When the asked for additional details, I informed them that it was a known issue and that I needed THEM to do something, not have me running around.

I won't have time to lodge a complaint with trading standards until next week, but I will get back to you.

Daniel
And that is where the issue lies- Power DVD 7 and 8 features the Blu-Ray logo and especially if supplied with a drive is clearly for the purpose of playing blu ray discs that conform to the agreed blu ray standard indicated by the Blu-ray logo. Not only blu rays up to a certain point when they get bored of issuing updates. From a UK consumer law point of view, this will have to be either a patch or a free upgrade. Either that or a complaint to trading standards, THEN a patch and a free upgrade + compensation for the time when the software was not fit for purpose.......good thing we don't do class actions in the UK.
I just received a request to provide various log files- have replied back stating that they can replicate the fault on their own time, not mine- it's clearly a "known issue". I am now looking for contact details of senior staff at Cyberlink.
No worries....I know what you are sayin' ;
I'm glad I have a cheap blu Ray player stashed.....bought from a supermarket for £40. Plays the discs and doesn't require all this nonsense. Which is why (whatever happens), there is no way I will be paying to upgrade. Actually, I was toying with the idea of getting the latest PDVD software for this boxed set, but since this issue has arisen, I'm not sure I want to grace cyberlink with my money.
My approach is that cyberlink are preventing me from accessing my legitimately purchased Blu Ray hardware. I would have reasonably expected them to anticipate their users would want to play this realease (in their droves). I am therefore going to request compensation for the time thst I am not able to access my legimately purchased blu ray hardware. My compensation request will be in relation to each hour I am not able to access my hardware. I suggest anyone else in the UK take the same approach. I also hope that a senior member of Cyberlink staff who is familiar with UK consumer protection law is monitoring this forum, or that the technicians dealing with this pass the issue on to someone who is- see below:

Hi,

When I try and play the new Star Wars Blu Ray, I get a message saying my software needs playing and directing me to your site (cyberlink.con/bdupdate). However, this informs me that my software is up to date and wishes me a pleasant evening watching my movie. This is unacceptable- I have never had a blu ray disc that refuses to play before.
Please can you advise me of a solution that will enable me to access my legitimately purchased Blu Ray hardware by return? My drive firmware is up to date, before you ask. If a soution is not forthcoming I will seek compensation for every hour that I am not able to access my legitimately purchased blu ray hardware in accordance with UK consumer protection law in relation to fitness for purpose of products. I will start logging your response time from 23:00hrs on Sunday 18th Sept. I am aware that you already know there is a problem and suprised you let an issue like this occur in relation to a "must buy" release such as star wars.

regards

Go to: