Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >

That's exactly the answer! MOV is just a container, not a format.
That Panasonic camera records video in 4:2:2, but that's not ProRes 4:2:2 format.
And even if it packages that in the MOV container (file), it still doesn't become ProRes.

I know that the mov-container is not the same as ProRes, or rather that a lot of different codeces can be used within the mov container. I think it would be great if Powerdirector could import the 10 bit 4:2:2 files as they come ot of the G9 (or GH5) right away. Premiere Pro, FCP, and Davinci Studio can deal with this format.

Today it seems that ProRes is the only 10 bit. 4:2:2 codec that PD can handle, but this is no native output format of most cameras.
Quote You can use VirtualDub2 to convert your clips to ProRes 4:2:2 MOV clips that PD can work with. I put the converted clip I made and tested along with the .vdproject settings file you can use in VDub2 in this OneDrive folder.

Thanks a lot for your effort! I could import your file into PD. I noticed that the prores-File is more than 2x the file size of my original. From what I've read so far this is a "downside" of the prores codec. It's easier to edit, but the filze size is large.

I think I'll test the two side by side and check if it makes a visible difference in terms of dynamic range. If it's only a minor effect, I think I'll stick with 8 bit 4:2:0 instead of going through the step to convert each file and fill up my HD even faster.
Quote You didn't mention that you could import 4:2:0 clips so I directed you to the most common .mov issue.

I couldn't find any G9 sample 4:2:2 clips online, so if you could upload a short sample to OneDrive or Google Drive then I and/or other forum members can test them on our systems.

I've tested all mov-formats available on the G9 , see attached screenshot. All 8-bit files (420) can be imported into powerdirector, none of the 10 bit, 422. So it's not about 4K or FHD.

Thanks for your offer to test it on another system! I've uploaded a sample file to Google drive, FHD, 25p, 422, 10 bit. Although it's just 2 sec, it's still 46 MB

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15FfDzEHQAsmurt0Ffa49Uz6FoMlMsqR_/view?usp=sharing
Quote This is a frequent forum topic. Please see if this discussion helps.

Thanks, but this discussion (and others) seem to deal with the problems of generally not being able to work with .mov files. This is not my issue, I can import and edit 8 bit 4:2:0 mov files.

Powerdirector 19 help states that the following under "supported file formats":

MOV

QuickTime file format. H.264, H.265*, alpha PNG, 10-bit 422 Apple ProRes*, and V210* codecs supported.

So I wonder if apple ProRes is the only 10-bit 422 video format supported. I'd like to use the extra dynamic range and color grading options that 10 bit 422 provide.

I use a Panasonic G9, and the video output in this format shold be the same as from the GH5. Since the GH5 is quite popular for video I assumed that others ran into this problem as well. But maybe they use other editing programs.

I've tried to open a 10 bit .mov-file (4:2:2) from a Panasonic G9 and got an error message by Powerdirector. Does anyone know if this filetype is generally not supported by Powerdirector? Is there a way to convert the file by a third party software so that it can be edited by Powerdirector? Obviously this conversion should not reduce the bit rate.
I'm on PD 365. I found out that LUTs and color presets are now part of the "effect room". So far, so good, but I've one remark and one question regarding LUTs:

1) The only way to see the effect seems to be drag-and-drop to the clip. It would be easier to just select the clip, and then to see the preview of a LUT in the preview window by selecting the LUT. Now, to try out different LUTs, you have to drag the LUT to a clip, see the results, remove the effect, try the next LUT etc.

2) Is there a better way to apply a LUT to multiple clips than dragging it to each clip seperately? Is it possible to somehow group clips and apply one LUT to the whole group? It would be great if PD had something like an "effect layer" which could span multiple clips.
Go to: