Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 14

I have a video file that I downloaded from Facebook that is 178MB. It is 45 minutes long. I trimmed it down to a 7-minute segment, added a simple title at the beginning and end, with fade transitions. After Produce using a setting of H.264 AVC at various resolutions , frame rate of 30, and a bitrate of 16Mbps, the resulting file is anywhere from 2 to 4 times as big as the original source.

In another thread it was explained that the bitrate drives the file size up. It was further explained that PD imposes a minimum to ensure some minimum level of file quality. One post said that "PD won't let you go any lower [than 1500] because normally that would result in such poor quality as to be unusable." But when I right-click on the video in the timeline and look at the spec, it's 768x432, 30 fps, and only 537kbps. The minimum bitrate for a default MP4 profile in PD is 16Mbps, and the minimum for a custom profile is 3Mpbs.

The quality of the original file is just fine at only 537. Far from unusable.

I don't see how PD could take a file with a bitrate of 537 and presume to increase the quality simply by upgrading the bitrate. You can 't add information that isn't there.

So I have two questions.

1) Why does PD have a default minimum even for a custom profile of 3000kbps when I have a perfectly good video at 537kbps?

2) Is there any way to produce this file with a quality comparable to the original, and get a resulting file size of a fraction of the original? This is a video of a band performance and I want to use it for promotion so I don't want to ask clients to download a 1GB file. (Personally I would load it to YouTube for streaming but the band leader likes to share the actual file.)
Well, whatever I've done so far seems to have fixed the problem. I have had the program up for a day or so now with no crashes. If it is crash free for the rest of the year wink I'll close this out.

Thanks to all who contributed, especially PepsiMan who stuck with it.
Thanks for that suggestion. I ran the tool and it told me that PD14 is compatible with my system. It also told me that PD9 was incompatible, which I had not realized was still installed. I am uninstalling PD9 to see if that has any effect.
Quote uninstall 4.5 and reinstall 4.0 then see if PD14 crashes!!!
After uninstalls, no version of .NET framework appears in the Programs list. When I try to install 4.0 I get the error message which I showed above indicating theat 4.5 is built into the OS and it will not allow installation of 4.0.
Will not allow a 4.0 install.

DetailsMicrosoft .NET Framework 4 is already a part of this operating system.

1. You do not need to install the .NET Framework 4 redistributable. More information.

2. Same or higher version of .NET Framework 4 has already been installed on this computer.

Quote you're reading between the lines. ' you got a problem with .NET Framework 4.0 installation, refering to -> CLR20r3. uninstall and reinstall .NET Framework 4.0 ' never said 4.5???
Yes, but if I have 4.5 already installed, why do I need 4.0 also?
Quote you got a problem with .NET Framework 4.0 installation, refering to CLR20r3. unistall and reinstall .NET Framework 4.0.
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Standalone Installer) .
I uninstalled everything related to .NET and tried an install of 4.5. The installed said it's already installed as part of the OS and I do not need to install it. Any reason I should reinstall 4.0?
Thank you for your answers. I see what you are talking about in the DxDiag file but I don't know how to interpret the data in there. I included it because it was requested by a CyberLink support person in a different thread.
I do have Garmin update installed on my machine but esu.exe is not currently running. I will follow the suggestion above and see if that helps. Thanks.
PowerDirector 14 crashes constantly, even when the computer is sitting idle and no activity in PowerDirector or any other program.
I used this product for months with no problem and can't figure out what changed that could be causing this.
This computer does not have an NVIDIA GPU or GeForce installed, so posted solutions recommending uninstallation of GeForce Experience do not apply. It uses a Radeon card.

DxDiag output attached.
Time to switch to another product?
Go to: