Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Thanks again for your response and your help. This response is unfortunately just a venting session without possible resolution, so feel free to browse and move on.

The project I am currently working on is not a conventional news piece or narrative where you have a few limited takes to choose from and some B-roll. The project I am working on involves hundreds--if not thousands--of clips. The Media Library wouldn't even let me import everything I actually wanted to include.

So, I let PD16 run overnight so it could make Shadow Copies of the hundreds of items in my media library. "Shadow Copies" seems to mean "file duplication and conversion" and as a result, I woke up this morning to a full hard drive and lots of prompts telling me I need more space if I want to continue making shadow copies.

The Media Library has definitely been one of my least favorite aspects of PD16. The program seems to put far too much effort into prepping material that *might* get used, when really, I just want somewhere to browse through my material prior to putting it into the timeline. Similarly, it doesn't seem helpful to make shadow copies until clips are brought into the timeline. That's the workhorse. That's where I really need the extra processing. That's where I want things to run smoothly.

I also noticed that shadow copies don't seem to get deleted once a file is removed from the Media Library.

A few more options regarding Shadow Copies would make all the difference: (1) create shadow copies for items in timeline only and (2) delete shadow copies once files are removed from Media Library.

Alas, this is not the case. There is very little help and consideration given to the functionality of the Media Library in my opinion. It's the starting point for our projects, but it seems like the developpers are primarily concerned with how it affects the functionality of the rest of their program rather than how we need to use it.

Sadly, I find that editing on my iPad is a much smoother experience.
So here's the thing:

About 6 weeks ago, I got a new 1TB SSD, added 8GB of RAM, and did a clean install of Win10. I did not expect to have system issues when I posted my question, but your excellent response was a good reminder to not overlook the obvious.

(1) On the plus side, SFC and DISM scans came back clean. Since I regularly do a manual check for updates as a precautionary backstop for Windows' automatic installation of updates, I was surprised about those errors in the DXdiag report. Long story short: Windows had not updated since October 6, I ran the Windows Update troubleshooter, some things were repaired, and some updates were installed.

(2) My Integrated Intel GPU was not permitted to install the most recent official update due to aggressive restrictions by the maker of my laptop, Acer. I bypassed that restriction by downloading the zipped version of the most recent driver, navigating to Device Manager, and manually installing the update through the "Have Disk..." dialogue. No negative repercussions yet.

Although there's not much of a performance change overall, I think I've got everything under the hood running a bit more smoothly.

I installed the PD16 patch (which was *not* discovered and installed by PD's "Check for updates automatically" option).

PD16 loads considerably faster, and when I preview my timeline at High quality, the pictures actually move! It is usable.

Currently, my setup has the following settings in an effort to improve performance:

• Both Hardware Accelleration checkboxes are marked

• Preview quality is High and real-time

• Audio waveforms in the timeline are disabled

• Video snapshots in the timeline are disabled

I look forward to any additional suggestions and recommendations you can offer.

Thank you so much for the very straightforward advice in your initial response and for responding so quickly to my SOS.
Good day all.

I have a laptop with the following specs:

• Win10 64-bit

• i7-5500@2.4 GHz

• 16GB RAM

• NVIDIA GeForce 940M with dedicated 4GB (apparently unused due to lack of PD16 support)

• Integrated Intel HD Graphics with 128MB dedicated + 8GB shared

Although I run some pretty intensive videogames without framerate issues or stuttering, PD16 is unusable. I stopped trying to run full motion video previews a while ago because it was showing just a few frames at a time, even at sub-HD levels. It still takes about 10 seconds for the preview image to refresh after clicking to a new spot on the timeline.

I have tried all variations of the available hardware accelleration options. I have tried real time and non-real time preview options at various quality settings.

I have an A+ computer certification, and while that doesn't make me a genius or anything, it means I do kind of know my way around a PC.

I am simply at a loss as to what the problem might be or how to get PD16 to work for me.

I welcome your suggestions and appreciate your help DxDiag is attached.
Go to: