Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Wow, that's great, Jeff. Thanks.
David

I'd make sure you start with a clean record and as clean of a recording as possible. I'd probably try Audacity, free audio editor. They offer a step by step approach for 78rpm records that may be of value and offer insight for either AD or Audacity cleanup. https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/recording_78_rpm_records.html

Jeff
Thanks for such a thoughtful and rhorough reply. I plan to work on it tomorrow, and feel I now have at least a plan of attack.
David

Quote You're going to have to manually run it through various filters because the "noise" that you can easily hear is actually many random events happening in sequence, and it can be challenging to train the filters to automatically remove them and doing it step-by-step will give you betyter results.

One thing to start with is the Equalizer tool on the Apply Effect tab on the Edit screen. Drop the highest 3 sliders to 0 and then step the 1K, 2K and 4K down like a staircase. That will get rid of the high frequency noise (hiss and some of the static), and that alone may make for a more pleasant-sounding recording. Feel free to make adjustments to get the full range of music, even at the expense of leaving in some of the pops.

You may want to produce the best version, then try Click Removal from the Adjustment tab on the Restore page.

Experiment with different values and save the versiuons of the clip that sound the best. Don't be afraid to try different combinations, and the more time you spend on this the more likely you'll find the right mix of settings.
I found an old 78 of my dad playing in his WW2 Army band, but the record noise (hiss. pops, static) are severe. I purchased AD thinking it's noise reduction would clean it up, but the Analysis doesn't even find it.

Any suggestions on how to clean up this precious momento?

Thanks.
David
Go to: