Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I'm going to assume that the answer to
my question about whether PD 14 can remove flicker from a video is
“no,” as well as the answer to the question about whether there
is a guide to editing 8mm movie transfers as also being “no.”

I looked at the discussions you linked
in your response, and, with the post about 2K ProRes, I could learn
that stuff, but it's way over my head for now.

I agree with you that the best quality
would come from professional labs or a frame by frame machine.
However, I have 62 reels of film, so the cheapest lab I could find online
would cost me $570 (with a 25% discount), and frame by
frame equipment (in the link you sent) such as Eyesen, Kodak and
Wolverine costs up to $400. My approach costs me nothing additional. None
of the cheaper machines (<$168) from your link looked very good,
and they didn't give specific details on how a reel of film would be
transferred. I don't want to end up sitting there pressing a copy
button for each of what I estimate to be +178,550 frames on 62 rolls
of film.

The real question is whether my
relatives and I would get some $600 worth of enjoyment out of high
quality copies of these home movies, or, as I'm pretty sure they'd
say, “Are you loopy for spending that kind of money when your
camera produces stuff that's good enough?” Or, maybe I should ask
them and let them decide...

Thanks much for your advice and the
quick response. Stay safe.
I have Power director 14. I am using a Canon 70D camera to record 8mm/Super 8mm home movie film that is projected onto a screen. It obviously has flicker because the movie projector projects at 18 fps (I'm guessing) and does not have variable speed, and the Canon has 24, 30 or 60 fps recording options. All of those options cause flicker. Is there any way to use PD 14 to eliminate or at least reduce the flicker that is already in that recorded video?

This is the first time I'm using PD 14 to edit these 8mm/Super 8mm film recordings. Are there PD 14 features that would help specifically with recordings of home movies? Thanks in advance for any help. This forum is a great idea.

John
Quote Thanks for the info and for attaching the clip. By the "Reply text box" I meant the text box where you type in what you want to post, and whether you click on the blue Reply button or the Reply to this topic link, the attachment button is always present. I probably should have included this image to clarify:

The photo you uploaded has a pixel size of 1511x2000 which has plenty of detail for HD (1920x1080) video. I produced a 10 sec MP4 and as you can see, it's perfectly clear (If not, click on the gear icon near the lower right of the YouTube menu and choose 1080p60 HD)

The Edit preview window is normally set to a display setting called "Fit," which means it will automatically zoom in or out to fill the window with the media content. Even a tiny, low quality picture will look reasonably good here, but when that same tiny picture is produced, PD has to scale it up (zoom in) to fill the full 1920x1080 size, and it will definitely look jagged/pixelated because there isn't enough picture detail at that size.

Since you're editing these pics, you should try and make sure they're all at least 1k pixels on each side, and ideally much more (like 2k to 4k). If your original clips are smaller then that, there isn't much you can do - other than to maybe include several on the screen at the same time so they're smaller but sharper.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the help; I'll see what I can do!
Most of the photos I used at first were 30-50 KB, very tiny. They weren't acceptable, so I re-edited some and saved them in BMP form, and they weren't much better. Here's one in JPG. Thanks. btw, there was no ATTACHMENT link under the TEXT button. But there was a REPLY TO THIS THREAD link, which does have an attachment option.
I edit photos in Photoshop Element and insert them into tracks for videos in Power Director 14. I use 60 timeline frame rate and 16:9 ratio. The photos look fine in the PowerDirector preview box but look horrible (extreme pixelation with jagged edges) when I see them in the video, which I watch on either a laptop screen or our 40" TV. Anyone know how I can fix this problem so the photos aren't pixelated? Thanks in advance.
I'm using AudioDirector 6 to copy music from cassette tapes into a Toshiba Satellite laptop. When I start recording with AD6, the incoming volume of the music is much too loud, but after about 15 seconds, the volume drops to either an acceptable level or too soft. Other times, the level is just right when I start recording, but soon the volume level drops and is far too soft. Any idea what is happening in those two instances? Thanks for any help in advance. John K.
Go to: