Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Perfect photo pixelates in video
JOHN909 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 17, 2017 15:40 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I edit photos in Photoshop Element and insert them into tracks for videos in Power Director 14. I use 60 timeline frame rate and 16:9 ratio. The photos look fine in the PowerDirector preview box but look horrible (extreme pixelation with jagged edges) when I see them in the video, which I watch on either a laptop screen or our 40" TV. Anyone know how I can fix this problem so the photos aren't pixelated? Thanks in advance.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 13. 2018 15:15

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
That's not a typical problem. Can you use the Attachments button below the Reply text box to upload a sample photo? If the file size is bigger than a few MB, upload it to Google Drive/OneDrive/DropBox and post the link here.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
JOHN909 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Most of the photos I used at first were 30-50 KB, very tiny. They weren't acceptable, so I re-edited some and saved them in BMP form, and they weren't much better. Here's one in JPG. Thanks. btw, there was no ATTACHMENT link under the TEXT button. But there was a REPLY TO THIS THREAD link, which does have an attachment option.
[Thumb - TIM.MOM.FINISH4.IMG_3276.jpg]
 Filename
TIM.MOM.FINISH4.IMG_3276.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1242 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the info and for attaching the clip. By the "Reply text box" I meant the text box where you type in what you want to post, and whether you click on the blue Reply button or the Reply to this topic link, the attachment button is always present. I probably should have included this image to clarify:

The photo you uploaded has a pixel size of 1511x2000 which has plenty of detail for HD (1920x1080) video. I produced a 10 sec MP4 and as you can see, it's perfectly clear (If not, click on the gear icon near the lower right of the YouTube menu and choose 1080p60 HD)

The Edit preview window is normally set to a display setting called "Fit," which means it will automatically zoom in or out to fill the window with the media content. Even a tiny, low quality picture will look reasonably good here, but when that same tiny picture is produced, PD has to scale it up (zoom in) to fill the full 1920x1080 size, and it will definitely look jagged/pixelated because there isn't enough picture detail at that size.

Since you're editing these pics, you should try and make sure they're all at least 1k pixels on each side, and ideally much more (like 2k to 4k). If your original clips are smaller then that, there isn't much you can do - other than to maybe include several on the screen at the same time so they're smaller but sharper.

I hope this helps!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 14. 2018 01:58

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
JOHN909 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the info and for attaching the clip. By the "Reply text box" I meant the text box where you type in what you want to post, and whether you click on the blue Reply button or the Reply to this topic link, the attachment button is always present. I probably should have included this image to clarify:

The photo you uploaded has a pixel size of 1511x2000 which has plenty of detail for HD (1920x1080) video. I produced a 10 sec MP4 and as you can see, it's perfectly clear (If not, click on the gear icon near the lower right of the YouTube menu and choose 1080p60 HD)

The Edit preview window is normally set to a display setting called "Fit," which means it will automatically zoom in or out to fill the window with the media content. Even a tiny, low quality picture will look reasonably good here, but when that same tiny picture is produced, PD has to scale it up (zoom in) to fill the full 1920x1080 size, and it will definitely look jagged/pixelated because there isn't enough picture detail at that size.

Since you're editing these pics, you should try and make sure they're all at least 1k pixels on each side, and ideally much more (like 2k to 4k). If your original clips are smaller then that, there isn't much you can do - other than to maybe include several on the screen at the same time so they're smaller but sharper.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the help; I'll see what I can do!