Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the follow-up, always good to chat, never know what ideas may come up.

Yes you are correct that in theory the viewer can choose to look in any direction within the 360 degree sphere that they please. And yes, trying to "move" this around probably could lead to all kinds of disorienting effects.

However from a practical standpoint there always is a "starting" view. And that is typically what is used for thumbnails, and is the first thing people are seeing when they encounter the video. Kind of like a scrolling webpage that has content that you see first at the top. And there is a risk that stuff at the bottom gets lost or never seen unless prompted somehow. With the 360 videos, you may lose your viewer before they even realize something cool is happening out of their initial field of view. And the field of view in facebook, youtube, and even in the headsets such as oculus or Samsung gear probably only shows 1/8th of the total sphere of video. So its easy to "miss" something cool in the scene if you aren't somehow directed to it.

I can imagine especially in some unplanned or impromptu videos that catch something unexpected that may occur 90 degrees or 180 agrees from the intended subject, that THAT may end up being more interesting than what was planned.

I've been working on this all day, with a few different leads as to solutions to the problem. 1. Facebook as part of their encoding and processing gives you a choice to set the initial view that they will display. 2. Youtube does not. 3. Adobe Premiere has a tool that will allow you to change the position (and even rotate it mid-video), but only in the horizontal axis 4. I just can't find that functionality in PowerDirector 15, am doubtful it is in there.

Lastly I've got a lead that you may be able to edit the metadata package for the 360 video to include tags that set that initial view. Which could solve at least that part of it.

Thanks for your response and hopefully this is somewhat helpful.

Have a great week!

Darren
Good day! Seems I might be one of only a few people who is attempting to do 360 degree video editing with the software.

There is a big mystery/miss that I can't figure out, and wondering if anyone else has found a solution. Basically, one of the biggest "edits" to do in 360 degree video is to change the viewing direction within the 360 degree sphere. For example, if I recorded the video and then found out that something cool was happening at 90 degrees from the "default" view, I might want to trim and edit the video so that the viewer is facing that point at the beginning of the clip.

So far I have tried to discuss with "customer service", but I don't think they've ever seen a 360 video so don't understand what I am asking and just giving me canned answers.

Without this abilityto direct the viewing angle, the software is essentially useless for 360 editing...

(Yes, there is the "view designer" feature, but this takes the 360 video and shows you only a 2D window from it, and once you enter that mode the video is no longer 360).

Just wondering if anyone has any insights!

Thanks!

Darren
Go to: