Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I have used this software for years and have never had to do any serious settings adjustments,but with surround and ATMOS , it is not so easy to suss

It doesn't help that there's no mention, whatsoever, of 'Dolby Atmos' in the promo blurbs of PowerDVD (up to and including v21).

Perhaps Cyberlink believes that its customers are all au fait with the myriad flavours of Dolby/DTS formats; and so doesn't see much point in providing format information, and how PowerDVD processes the various formats and codecs.

There is nothing about the architectures of the various Dolby/DTS formats that is self-evidently intuitive to the average user of PowerDVD i.e. not everyone is a Home-theatre audio enthusiast.

For those unfamiliar with, or are new to, 'Dolby Atmos', if the audio of the source disk/file is Atmos-encoded then PowerDVD will 'pass-through' the raw audio-stream to whatever device will be doing the processing of your audio (e.g. A/V receiver). Provided your audio-processor is Atmos-capable, it will distribute the correct audio to the correct speakers.

I have tested Atmos soundtracks in PowerDVD 21 Ultra on my laptop whose HDMI output is connected to my Yamaha A/V receiver (the receiver's audio processor is set to 'Direct'). All good here.

Caveat: the HDMI archirecture - despite being touted as 'one connector to rule them all' - is brimming with numerous 'incompatibility' shortcomings that range from HDCP to 'HDMI Version' issues. All great fun! So if you can't get PowerDVD to play nice with the other components in home-theatre chain, it may not be Cyberlink's fault.
So, on August 9 2016, I purchase 'CyberLink Media Suite Ultra 14' (which includes PD14 - the deciding factor being the inclusion of PD14) at a 'promotional price'.

A little over six-weeks later, I receive an email from CyberLink promoting the launch of PD15 (with a 'special' upgrade price).

At the time I purchased 'Media Suite Ultra 14', there was no mention of an imminent release of a 'new' version of PD15.

Being a new CyberLink customer, I had no clue about the company's policy(ies) regarding updates/upgrades but nevertheless I assumed there would be a reasonable period of 'grace' during which time any update/upgrade would be 'free' - as is the policy of all the companies from whom I have hitherto purchased software; not so with CyberLink it appears.

Now, before anyone from the company jumps in with 'the party-line' on the topic of update/upgrade policy, let me just say that HAD reference been made, on the CyberLink website, to the imminent release of a newer version of PD, I may well have re-considered my purchase of six weeks ago and put my money aside for the later purchase of PD15. But, of course, no such forthright and transparently-honest reference appeared on ANY of the SEVERAL CyberLink website pages which formed the chain from 'product promotion' to 'purchase'.

The lack of reference to imminency of a new version of a particular piece of software is NOT dishonesty on the part of CyberLink but it IS nevertheless a questionable omission no doubt motivated by monetary consideration(s).

Having now lost my 'CyberLink Cherry', as it were, I will not be so gullible a second time. Nobody likes to feel they've been had; and CyberLink won't be 'having me' again.

Have looked at the FAQ and can find no reference to the question I have.

I have installed and activated PowerDVD 16 on the PC in my cave. I'd now prefer to install on my HTPC in my home-cinema. Can I 'deactivate' and uninstall from the 'current' PC and then install and 'activate' on the other? Will still only be using the software on a single PC.

Cheers.
Go to: