Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote: If I can jump in here, BobbyR open the User Preferences (the cog symbol) in PowerDirector. Under 'General' there is a checkbox for enabling Shadow Files. Once enabled when you import files into the Media Room Power Director will start to make low-resolution copies that are used for editing. This is a one-off process that reduces the computational load on the PC, making editing a lot smoother.

As the files are created the thumbnails change to green. You must wait until this process has completed before starting to edit. All your editing decisions are stored in the project file in the usual way and when you go to Produce or Create Disc these decisions are applied to the original high-def files to generate the final output.

YES! That led me to the answer! Thank you so much!

For those stumbling on this thread with the same issues, here's what caused my issues and how I fixed them.

When I checked to see if I had Shadow Files enabled, as Fenman suggested, I realized that I already had them enabled. However, the small shadow file icon on my video (in edit mode) was colored yellow and stayed yellow, even if left alone for hours. It turns out, PowerDirector had an error while attempting to make a shadow file. So I had to manually delete my temporary files (which includes shadow files) by clicking on the gear, General tab, then click the "Manually Delete" button. That brings up a dialog box that allowed me to select my failed file and delete it.

After that PowerDirector began attempting to create a new shadow file. My 9 minute, 4k Video took a fairly long time to generate a shadow file (10 mins?) - I just left my computer alone until it completed. Icon turned green and I can edit my file without the indicator jumping around!

Hope that helps someone else down the road.
Quote:

Editing 4k video would require shadow files to be enabled on your pc. Be sure to let the shadow files finish before adding them to the timeline.

Tomasc,

Thanks for your response. I've done some poking around on Google in regard to "shadow files" and the closest I can come up with is a Windows 10 service called "Volume Shadow Copy". Is this what you are referring to? If so, can you help me understand how this may help? And if not, can you point me to a resource or search string that might help lead to me some specific information about how to go about enabling shadow files.

Thanks again.
My symptoms are identical to the OP. Not sure why you might think it is different. I've tried the "non real time" preview setting and it does not stop the erratic behavior during playback. FWIW, I've also set my playback quality to lower settins without any improvement.

I'm editing a 9 minute, 4K video and during playback I get a few seconds of video and then the time line indicator jumps ahead 20 - 30 seconds and the video seems to freeze.

Basically, I'm unable to edit 4k video. Lower resolution videos (1080p) work without issue.

I'm have the following:

Win10 64-bit, i7 CPU, 6GB RAM

PowerDirector 13.0.3516.0
Was there ever a resolution to this? I'm having the same issue editing 4k, 24fps, h.264. Plays a few seconds then skips ahead and pauses. Running Windows 10, PowerDirector 13 (latest patch).
Go to: