Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Preview/playback skips ahead
Bluebeary
Newbie Location: Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada Joined: Dec 15, 2014 19:34 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I'm editing a 20 minute video down to a 2 minute version. When I cut sections out and try playing them back to see the results, the clip first freezes then the time line marker jumps ahead about 20 or 30 seconds where it sits until the video, which I can't see, catches up. Its really annoying and I can't figure out why its doing this. It makes it virtually impossible to preview the changes I've made.
Any suggestions appreciated.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 05. 2015 16:35

All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Depending on how much power your PC and video card have, PD may not be able to "preview" your video smoothly resulting in a jerky effect. The best way to overcome this is to lower the preview resolution until the timeline playback is acceptable. This is found under the preview window. Win 10, i7
Zamora18314 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 14, 2008 17:23 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same annoying problem as Bluebeary. Mine specifically related to NewBlue Titler Pro and complex transitions. Have tried everything. Lowering preview resolution has no effect, although a bit of improvement achieved after lowering PC screen resolution to unacceptable 1024x768. Running i7-4700Q CPU, 16 GB RAM, GeForce 840M (347.52 driver), 1920x1080 resolution, Win 8.1 (w/ ClassicShell). Greatly appreciate any help.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I know exactly what you are referinv to and I don't believe it is a result of computer performance. I have not found a cause or solution. So far it seems to happen most often when I have the timeline expanded. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Bluebeary
Newbie Location: Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada Joined: Dec 15, 2014 19:34 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks guys. I've tried lowering the screen resolution and the preview resolution with no luck.
I've rebooted the computer then turned off everything running in the background (Skype, e-mail, anti-virus, etc) which helps for a little while but then it's back to the same old, same old. It almost seems like running the preview starts to clog things up. Could it be using memory and not releasing it after its done? I love the program and the things I can do but its almost useless if I can't quickly check the results after each editing step!
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Did you try using SVRT to render the shortened clips first and then having a quick view of the results? Win 10, i7
Zamora18314 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Lowering resolution didn't help me either. Rendering seems to work okay; but the issue is with the preview, making it impossible to edit. There is a companion thread started by Netspeed that concerns the same problem.
Bluebeary
[Post New]
I've just found out how to turn on and display the SVRT track during the editing process. It seems to help a lot. I've also discovered that not insertng transitions until I finish editing speeds up the preview playback. Thank you for all the tips. You guys are awesome!
Zamora18314 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Using SVRT track for editing of no help to me. Removed all complex transitions and simple NewBlue Titler Pro in this very short project, but it still hangs up on the Perspective Scroll title that I need and another spot consistently. Could it be the ClassicShell over Win 8.1? Or the video driver (latest installed)? Would reinstall all, except PD13 (upgrade) won't accept the product key for PD13 or several earlier versions. Alternative is switch to PD12, but does it run on Win 8.1?
FlipBaird [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 01, 2013 19:55 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having the same problem, it just started yesterday. I'm a new user, and only have 3 projects, but it is affecting all of them, making the editing impossible. The program was working great for me until this issue. It SEEMS like it started after I got the notification about an update being available and installed it. Did others have this problem prior to the latest update?

I should mention - I'm not using any transitions or titles.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 10. 2015 18:13

[Post New]
Quote: I'm editing a 20 minute video down to a 2 minute version. When I cut sections out and try playing them back to see the results, the clip first freezes then the time line marker jumps ahead about 20 or 30 seconds where it sits until the video, which I can't see, catches up..

It looks like decoder performance issue to me...
What is your video codec, bitrate and resolution? and the system spec?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerDirector 365
Eldor
Member Location: Montreal, Canada Joined: Feb 27, 2015 10:13 Messages: 112 Offline
[Post New]
Would you mind (please!) explaining that? Exactly how do you use SVRT to render the shortened clips first? The manual doesn't explain this, nor could I figure it out by using the software. When I click on the Intelligent SVRT button in the Produce menu, it analyses but doesn't give me any option other than to render the entire output. And if I click on Details(Edit) I'm returned to the Edit menu and I don't see how to render.

Quote: Did you try using SVRT to render the shortened clips first and then having a quick view of the results?
BobbyR [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 25, 2016 17:39 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Was there ever a resolution to this? I'm having the same issue editing 4k, 24fps, h.264. Plays a few seconds then skips ahead and pauses. Running Windows 10, PowerDirector 13 (latest patch).

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 25. 2016 17:48

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Your problem is different from the OP. You can try non real time preview for your 4k video on the timeline.
BobbyR [Avatar]
[Post New]
My symptoms are identical to the OP. Not sure why you might think it is different. I've tried the "non real time" preview setting and it does not stop the erratic behavior during playback. FWIW, I've also set my playback quality to lower settins without any improvement.

I'm editing a 9 minute, 4K video and during playback I get a few seconds of video and then the time line indicator jumps ahead 20 - 30 seconds and the video seems to freeze.

Basically, I'm unable to edit 4k video. Lower resolution videos (1080p) work without issue.

I'm have the following:

Win10 64-bit, i7 CPU, 6GB RAM

PowerDirector 13.0.3516.0
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I'm editing a 9 minute, 4K video and during playback I get a few seconds of video and then the time line indicator jumps ahead 20 - 30 seconds and the video seems to freeze.

Basically, I'm unable to edit 4k video. Lower resolution videos (1080p) work without issue.

I'm have the following:

Win10 64-bit, i7 CPU, 6GB RAM

PowerDirector 13.0.3516.0

Editing 4k video would require shadow files to be enabled on your pc. Be sure to let the shadow files finish before adding them to the timeline.
BobbyR [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:

Editing 4k video would require shadow files to be enabled on your pc. Be sure to let the shadow files finish before adding them to the timeline.

Tomasc,

Thanks for your response. I've done some poking around on Google in regard to "shadow files" and the closest I can come up with is a Windows 10 service called "Volume Shadow Copy". Is this what you are referring to? If so, can you help me understand how this may help? And if not, can you point me to a resource or search string that might help lead to me some specific information about how to go about enabling shadow files.

Thanks again.
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
If I can jump in here, BobbyR open the User Preferences (the cog symbol) in PowerDirector. Under 'General' there is a checkbox for enabling Shadow Files. Once enabled when you import files into the Media Room Power Director will start to make low-resolution copies that are used for editing. This is a one-off process that reduces the computational load on the PC, making editing a lot smoother.

As the files are created the thumbnails change to green. You must wait until this process has completed before starting to edit. All your editing decisions are stored in the project file in the usual way and when you go to Produce or Create Disc these decisions are applied to the original high-def files to generate the final output. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
BobbyR [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: If I can jump in here, BobbyR open the User Preferences (the cog symbol) in PowerDirector. Under 'General' there is a checkbox for enabling Shadow Files. Once enabled when you import files into the Media Room Power Director will start to make low-resolution copies that are used for editing. This is a one-off process that reduces the computational load on the PC, making editing a lot smoother.

As the files are created the thumbnails change to green. You must wait until this process has completed before starting to edit. All your editing decisions are stored in the project file in the usual way and when you go to Produce or Create Disc these decisions are applied to the original high-def files to generate the final output.

YES! That led me to the answer! Thank you so much!

For those stumbling on this thread with the same issues, here's what caused my issues and how I fixed them.

When I checked to see if I had Shadow Files enabled, as Fenman suggested, I realized that I already had them enabled. However, the small shadow file icon on my video (in edit mode) was colored yellow and stayed yellow, even if left alone for hours. It turns out, PowerDirector had an error while attempting to make a shadow file. So I had to manually delete my temporary files (which includes shadow files) by clicking on the gear, General tab, then click the "Manually Delete" button. That brings up a dialog box that allowed me to select my failed file and delete it.

After that PowerDirector began attempting to create a new shadow file. My 9 minute, 4k Video took a fairly long time to generate a shadow file (10 mins?) - I just left my computer alone until it completed. Icon turned green and I can edit my file without the indicator jumping around!

Hope that helps someone else down the road.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 31. 2016 21:55

Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
I'm delighted to see you managed to fix it. smile Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64