Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >

I agree. I wish that contacting CL's tech support was a much better experience than what many people seem to encounter, but since PhD is currently designed to overwrite the image default app settings without asking, there's nothing they can to to "fix" the issue.

That's why I suggested using the feedback channel in hopes that the appropriate CL people would see how the issue affects end users, and then possibly add that change to the next update.

I have been reporting this since PhotoDirector 6. I have reported this using the feedback channel within the program and to their support. Looks like they don't want to fix it. I have Photoshop Elements, ACDSee, VLC media player, and some other photo/video-related programs; all of them give an option when it comes to associating file types. Most CyberLink support centers are in India. Whenever I report this issue, the first thing they ask is for remote access to the PC that has PhotoDirector installed. I don't understand why that's necessary at all.
Quote From what I've seen, I agree with PIX that there isn't a default app associated with .dat, even though that extension is used by many different programs for internal settings and data. Since you noticed that PhD 11 changed the setting, I think the easiest way to reset it would be to run the installer of the original app again to re-associate .dat (and all other file types) files with it.

Another approach would be to look at the Choose default apps by file type option on the Default Apps page of Windows' Settings menu, and you should actually see the other program listed, even though it only shows PhD 11 on my system:

You would have to do that for all other file typoes that were "hijacked" by installing PhD.

Failing that, you can use the registry editor to find and delete this single key, which will at least prevent PhD from opening any .dat files:

Usually programs ask you before associating file types.

FYI this is a user forum, and the people at Cyberlink likely won't see anything posted here. The best way to bring your concerns to their attention is to use Rate Us & Provide Suggestions under PhD's Help menu.

I contacted CyberLink support and said exactly what I had posted here. I have attached their responce below. Their support people are very unprofessional and it looks like they have no knowledge about their own products.

This is an annoying practice from many software where I uninstall something and then have to go to the settings and change the file associations. If something major is to be installed I notice that in win 7, a system restore point is generated in case you want to use it. Do not see that at all in a win 10 pc that I have access to.

Sure that you meant PhD11 and not 18. I too have many typos on this keyboard when I type too fast and then have to edit it later. LOL.

I apologize. It is PHD11, not 18. I mistyped it.
I just installed PhotoDirector 18. It changed some of the file type associations without asking. The most annoying was changing .dat file type to video file. I think this behavior should be changed. Installation process should ask before changing the file type associations. Other programs ask before changing file type associations.
I tried changing the Temp folder location (See attached snapshot), but it reverts back to the default. I think this field should be into user profile because I have three user accounts on my system and saving files from those three accounts into the same location get mixed up. Please fix this in the next update of PowerDirector 13 & 14.
Quote: Hi S Malik -

Man! I thought I was a bit anal about language! You may need to broaden your perspective a little.

The word "Hanuman" (monkey god) is used all over the place in completely non-religious/non-Hindi contexts. Here in OZ, in Darwin, there's a restaurant by that name - http://www.hanuman.com.au/

How about this rainforest adventure? http://www.flyinghanuman.com/
or this travel agent? http://www.hanuman.travel/
or this plane? http://www.mcp.com.au/xair/aircraft_models/hanuman/hanuman.html

If it really bothers you, you're going to need to send off a mountain of emails

Cheers - Tony

I don't know what you talking about. Are you trying to prove that is is not a religious name? You are wrong. Majority of the Hindus are very sensitive to their religion and they're not going to like this.
Quote: Interesting, I'll pass on your comment/observation to CyberLink.

"Hanuman" and such, has been part of a "name" used in PowerDirector for many years. Check: PDRHanumanSVR.exe

I recall the need at one time to change the Hanuman name to PDRHanumanSVR.exe as some anti-virus software were homing into the hanuman name.

Dafydd

I asked CyberLink Support about that. Here is their response... :O
Some of the reg data and files of PowerDirector 13 are named after a Hindu god.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CyberLink\Hanuman

C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector13
HanumanCache.dll
Quote: 2408 is the latest update-build available.
I believe it is available for purchase, but even if it's just the update, you can buy the program and download the update, then you'll have it.
Please know that trials are not full versions, nor are they update-able, nor will they accept a key.

A few days before, I bought PowerDirector 13 Ultra and downloaded the installer (1_CyberLink_PowerDirector13_Ultra_VDE140912-01) from the link that was provided to me in an e-mail. This build has an issue that I already have reported to CyberLink Support. I tried the trial build (PowerDirector_2408_GM4_Trial_Trial_VDE141215-02) and that does not have that issue. So I wanted to know if the VDE141215-02 build is available in retail.
Quote:
Quote: Is this build (PowerDirector_2408_GM4_Trial_Trial_VDE141215-02) available in retail?

Previous retail build (1_CyberLink_PowerDirector13_Ultra_VDE140912-01) has some issues.

Yes, did you open the program and did it give you the option to update? It should have unless you shut it off.

There are no updates for trial software; there may be the latest build as the newest update for the trial software (what you don;tload today is the latest).

Did you go here? http://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdirector-ultra/patches_en_AU.html

Also go to the top of this page and click on downloads. One of the options is "Software Updates" Go there for updates if thew program doesn;t offer the update.

Did that help?

You've completely missed my point. Please read my questions again.
There should be a way to download the latest retail builds for customers who already own CyberLink products.
Is this build (PowerDirector_2408_GM4_Trial_Trial_VDE141215-02) available in retail?

Previous retail build (1_CyberLink_PowerDirector13_Ultra_VDE140912-01) has some issues.
Go to: